• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Perfect Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

luscombepilot

Airport Bum
How many people have you heard of that get perfect on their PFT? Does this happen often? If everything else on their application is decent will a perfect score help a lot? Just curious. Thanks.

d_bossart

One of my OSO's, and several candidates at OCS. That's all I can think of. A good many people get close to 300. (297 etc.)

usmcecho4

pilot
I would say around 3-5% of the candidates at OCS get perfect scores. Around 30% will do 20 pull-ups and 98% will get 100 crunches but less than 10% will run sub 18min. A perfect PFT will certainly not hurt your chances of getting selected. I don't think it's the be all and end all of the whole process; but it is a nice thing to have on your package.

S/F,
usmcecho4

trongod46

pilot
very very few do get sub 18 and if they get 18 mins then usually they dont get 20 pullups kinda goes against the typical body type for an exceptional runner to have the strength required for pullups. usually see maybe one or two young LT's get 300's in the fleet, track guys in college usually.

NavyOCS

When I was at OCS we had 4 guys in our platoon run 300's on the final PFT! i was amazed. The other 4 platoons had 1 maybe 2 guys max it. The closer you get to 300, the better.

jaggurl

PFT Advice?

Any advice on form for the sit-ups or arm-hang? I'm good to go on the run (thanks to college xc/track) but I'm afraid I'll lose points for form especially on the situps...last PFT was 275 (18:52, 95, 60 seconds)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Everytime we ran the pft at my NROTC unit several Marine guys would get 300. Our run was a 1.5 mile course on the road that the Marines had to run out and back, and with a nasty hill on the way back. Every test we had 3 or more get 17 min 3 miles.

pjxc415

pilot
there is generally two of us at my current unit who get it (out of 20), and at my old unit about 3 or 4 out of 50 ... most guys just can't run, plenty get 20 pullups

fighterfemme24

jaggurl said:
Any advice on form for the sit-ups or arm-hang? I'm good to go on the run (thanks to college xc/track) but I'm afraid I'll lose points for form especially on the situps...last PFT was 275 (18:52, 95, 60 seconds)

For the arm-hang I found out that keeping my legs crossed and knees raised helped me keep my body more compact so that my abs and back muscles do more of the work then my actual arms. For the crunches I try to keep my heels as close to my butt as possible and makesure that my breathing is constant and steady... my best for both was a 68 second arm hang out of the max of 70 seconds, and 100 for the abs... I just suck at the running, but the only thing that will make me better at that is to just run...

SFgirl

fighterfemme24 said:
For the arm-hang I found out that keeping my legs crossed and knees raised helped me keep my body more compact so that my abs and back muscles do more of the work then my actual arms. For the crunches I try to keep my heels as close to my butt as possible and makesure that my breathing is constant and steady... my best for both was a 68 second arm hang out of the max of 70 seconds, and 100 for the abs... I just suck at the running, but the only thing that will make me better at that is to just run...

Fighterfemme24-

How high are you raising your knees??? My arm hang is what is holding me back at this point, and I have my PFT to do next Wed so that I can send in my package (PFT is the absolute last thing to check off)... I am gtg on the crunches too, but similarly I suck at running so I need to do as well as I can on the other two...

BTW, Thanks for posting this!!

fighterfemme24

Hey, no problem... I took so many pft's last spring because my arm hang was holding me back big time... The rest of my package was good to go, but I know how frustrating it was having that be the only thing holding me back. I would just let my legs hang there, and my arms were doing all the work... then I started to lift more, do more pushups, and stuff like that, but the breakthrough I had was in changing my form. By keeping my legs crossed, and then raising my knees to a comfortable level I was able to hold on much longer since my strenght was coming more from my core instead of just arms. I'm not sure how high I keep them, its just something I do now... also what really helped was keeping my breath steady and focusing on one point and nothing else. Another big thing with the arm hang is as long as there is a bend in your arms the time is still being counted... fight the urge to let yourself drop, and keep even the slightest bend in your elbows when you feel you are about to fail. You can gain a good 5 to 10 more seconds that way. At OCS they might yell at you to just drop when your chin drops below the bar, but keep fighting it... the clock is still going, they're just seeing how easily you'll give up. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

fighterfemme24

You're welcome! If you can, let me know how it worked out!

ps-keep your arms in tight to your body, and pull the bar into your chest!

jaggurl

Thanks!!

Thanks, FighterFemme24!! That is a big help...I've never tried that form so I think I'll see how it goes today...also with the sit-ups, I don't feel it at all in my abs, only in my quads. When you're doing the sit-ups, how much of your back has to hit the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.