• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon To Retire USS Truman Early, Shrinking Carrier Fleet To 10

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The next caller is a robo caller about debt consolidation. I'll keep them on the line until I get a person. I wonder if they can make a deal for $22 trillion.
Legislators HATE when you POM for this, but they can’t stop you!

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I just can't wait for Jerry Hendrix's fresh take....

Quarter of the way down the linked article....

"As the George Washington saga showed, “the mid-life overhaul has been used as a bargaining chip for a larger budget in the past,” said Jerry Hendrix, a retired Navy captain turned analyst. With Truman as with Washington, he said, “I doubt the Congress would allow it to go through.”

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
A Navy that still gives the President the option to control the sea lanes and project power ashore.

Regardless of what the wunderkinds think, the ability to launch a strike that will cover troops on the ground requires a flat top that is big enough to put enough gas and warheads overhead. That requires the ability to protect it in contested waters.

Build your requirements around that based on whatever tech you think will exist in 30-50 years. Drone carriers will still require some sort of AA protection, and there will still be guys in metal tubes underwater protecting it from the other side's subs and unmanned underwater vehicles.

If we can't project enough firepower, gas, bullets, and beans ashore to protect guys taking land from the enemy du jour, then we might as well mothball the fleet and hope the Space Force can figure out how to launch Cap Troopers from corvettes in space.

FIFY. :D