• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola to English Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
This is meant to be a guide for those new to the Pensacola area. It took me a while to catch the local dialect, so I thought I would help some people out here.

Customer Service - Counter behind which employees stand in order to receive service from a customer.

Help Wanted - If you have a pulse, even a weak one, you're hired.

It'll take just a minute to get this fixed - Come back in three days and bring $400.

Oh, it's not too far from here - Make sure you fill up your tank and bring a snack for the drive.

Gulf Shores - The American Dubai without any of the shopping or hotels.

North Davis Highway - See "Oh, it's not too far from here" above

VFR - Something you remember hearing about but have never experienced here

Arts & Culture - [no data found]

Speeding - What you are stopped for for driving 46 mph on I-110

College student - One who is enrolled in a night class at Pensacola Junior College, most likely to a data entry course

Irish Wake - Green death

Diesel Fuel - 1. Internal combustion fuel of choice for the numerous pickup trucks
2. A Long Island Iced Tea served in a mason jar at Flounder's.

University Mall - Where you go to get shot

I hope this has helped some of the recent arrivals to Pensacola. If you have additions or recommendations to make to the Pensacola To English Dictionary, please send your comments to the state capitol in Birmingham, AL.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
Irish Wake - Green death

HAHAHA . . . Great . . . :icon_zbee

Road Program said:
University Mall - Where you go to get shot
Scarily true . . . I've seen too many cop cars outside that place w/ crime scene tape and/or crowds gathering round . . .

WannaBEaP3gal

Living in Pensacola really makes you appreciate where you used to live, I miss Jacksonville, or society for that matter... oh, and has anyone noticed how frequent people run red lights here... it's freakin ridiculous! I feel like I have to treat every intersection like a 4-way stop!!

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Hot Chick- Girl with all her teeth and 10 or fewer tattoos

Locals- Ten or fewer teeth and covered in tattoos

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IceWoman04 said:
oh, and has anyone noticed how frequent people run red lights here... it's freakin ridiculous! I feel like I have to treat every intersection like a 4-way stop!!

Many are the times I've blown through a yellow light down here and thought, "dang, you cut that close," only to see three people behind me flagrantly blow through the RED light that followed. And of course we can't forget the famed "Pensacola Pull-out." Anyone else in the nation has a comfort zone for pulling out in the right lane ahead of somebody. Here I guess they just trust your brakes. And that gets really annoying when you've just dodged around Grandma doing 35 in a 55 in the left lane, only to damn near rear-end the idiot who just pulled out in front of you in the right . . .

I love how the head of the Florida Highway Patrol is in that public service announcement about how it's illegal to hog the left lane and you'll get ticketed. BS! I'd love to see them actually start enforcing that.

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
I thought I was the only one who noticed the red light running. I think they have special traffic laws. Green means treat itlike a stopsign, red means go as fast as you can. I've almost been hit so many times, that I am now afraid to go when it turns green. You have to sit there and wait and make sure that person that just pulled up to the RED light isn't going to shoot across. I miss California :(

perchul

running reds is more of a florida pastime then just pensacola...I don't know what it is but the further south you go the more out of hand it gets. I just try to ram them, usually they stop and then are left stranded in the intersection

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I don't think the drivers in Jacksonville are any better about red lights.... I think the law must be that as long as you can remember it being yellow, you're good to go! :eek:

rare21

pilot
Contributor
aww...University Mall aint that bad. now what i dont get is why all the folks that love Nascar (and have stickers all over the place) drive freaking trucks that go 25-45 freaking miles per hour? if you have a dale earnhardt sticker at least put some pedal down!

WannaBEaP3gal

I've lived in Jacksonville and in the St. Pete area (senior citizen capital of world), and Pensacola is by far the worst when it comes to running red lights... seriously, why are these rednecks in such a hurry... are they afraid they might be late to their job at the walmart supercenter?

KBayDog

Speaking of which, the place in NW Florida I hate more than any other is the parking lot of the Wal-Mart in Milton. It has the single most p!ss-poor traffic patterns (lots of stop signs at the worst possible places), n-a-r-r-o-w lanes that won't permit passing (like if some bubba with his #3 sticker is waiting for someone else to pull out). Between deciphering who is going to go where, at what time, and then following someone (only to be stopped by Ma and Pa Kettle taking their sweet time crossing into the store), you can easily spend 15 minutes parking IOT spend 5 minutes in the store.

OH - and while I am jacking this thread - WTF is with the Escambia Co Sherriff car that is always parked, running, with its lights on in the median of Hwy 90 by West Florida Hospital? What is he doing, and how much is that costing the good taxpayers down there?

You may have your thread back now.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You haven't seen bad Walmart parking lots until you've been to Meridian, MS. Trust me on this. I went through Primary at Whiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.