• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Peacoat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I'm just making sure I'm going to order the right thing, I'm on the PX's website and am trying to order one of the outwear jackets. The peacoat is the coat the has two columns of buttons and goes down to your midthigh right (they don't have a picture on their website).

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Nope, the peacoat only goes to the waist. It's the Enlisted winter coat. Has 3 black buttons with an anchor on them. The bridge coat (i think that's what it's called) has two rows of gold buttons and a belt if I remember right and goes to mid-thigh.

hmm, I may be wrong now that I'm looking though. I can't look at mine because it was stolen in Russia and haven't needed to replace it yet.

gagirl

Yes, the peacoat usually comes down to a little below your rear to mid thigh and has the 2 rows of buttons. Usually with anchors on them. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
gagirl

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
Peacoat
peacoat[1].jpg

Bridge coat
BridgeCoat.jpg

ip568

None
The Reefer is the officers' peacoat -- gold buttons and epilettes.

In the Reserves some guys just took their bridge coats to a tailor and had them shortened to reefer length. Looked the same but still had four sets of buttons vs. three...

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
gah, stupid bridge coat isn't showing up, it was earlier now some anglefire crap is showring up.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Peacoat is not authorized for officers. It is for E-6 and below.

The reefer is similar to the peacoat but has the gold office buttons and two loops on each shoulder for hard shoulder boards. Here are the appropriate sections form the Uniform Regulations:

Bridgecoat:

39. OVERCOAT, BLUE

a. Description

(1) Men Officers/CPOs. A double‑breasted coat made of blue woolen fabric. May be water repellent treated and fitted with removable sleeveless liner. Extends one‑third the distance from kneecap to ground, shaped at waist, held by a two section half‑belt at back with the end of the belt overlapped and fastened with two 40‑line Navy eagle, gilt buttons. There is a sword slit over left hip, a vertical slash side pocket on each front, and a single row of five 40‑line Navy eagle, gilt buttons down each forefront. The collar is made so that the coat may be buttoned to the neck. There are two loops on each shoulder for hard shoulder boards. Required buttons are described in <article 5403>.

(2) Women Officers/CPOs. A double‑breasted, water repellent coat made of dark blue napped woolen or worsted fabric, and may be fitted with a removable sleeve*less liner. The overcoat has a single row of four 40 line Navy eagle, gilt buttons on each forefront. A strap on each shoulder is fastened at inner end by a 24 line black plastic button. Required buttons are described in <article 5403>.

b. Ownership Markings. On designated nameplate; and inside left front panel.

Peacoat/Reefer:

41. PEACOAT (E6 and Below)

a. Description

(1) Men. A double‑breasted, hip length coat made of dark blue authorized fabric with a convertible collar, a set‑in pocket in each forefront, and a single row of four 35‑line black plastic anchor buttons down the right front and three on left. Men's peacoat buttons to the right. For insignia see <article 4221>.

(2) Women. A double‑breasted, hip length coat made of dark blue authorized fabric with a convertible collar, shoulder epaulets, a set‑in pocket in each fore*front, and a single row of four 35‑line black plastic anchor buttons down the left front and three on right. Women's peacoat buttons to the left. Women may wear either the men's peacoat (without epaulets) or the women's peacoat (with epaulets) as long as serviceable. For insignia see <article 4221>.

b. Correct Wear. Button all buttons except collar button. Collar button may be buttoned in inclement weather. Wear the jumper collar inside the coat. Sleeves are to reach about three‑quarters of distance from the wrist to the knuckles when arms hang naturally at the sides. For insignia, see <article 4221>.

c. Ownership Markings. Center last name and last four digits of SSN three inches from and parallel to the bottom edge of the peacoat.

42. REEFER (Officers/CPOs)

a. Description

(1) Men. A double‑breasted, hip length coat made of dark blue authorized fabric with a convertible collar, a set‑in pocket in each forefront, and a single row of four 35‑line or 40‑line buttons on right front and three on left. Men's reefer buttons to the right. Two loops on each shoulder hold officer's hard shoulder boards. Required buttons are described in <article 5403>.

(2) Women. A double breasted, hip length coat made of dark blue authorized fabric with a convertible collar, shoulder epaulets, a set‑in pocket in each fore*front, and a single row of four 35 line or 40 line buttons on left front, and three on right. Women's reefer buttons to the left. Epaulets on each shoulder hold officer's hard shoulder boards. Women may wear either the men's reefer (with two loops) or the women's reefer (with epaulets) as long as serviceable. Required buttons are described in <article 5403>.

b. Correct Wear. Button all buttons except collar button. Collar button may be buttoned in inclement weather. Sleeves are to reach about three‑quarters of distance from the wrist to the knuckles when arms hang naturally at side. For insignia, see <article 4103> for officers. CPOs wear no insignia.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
The officers' reefer IS a peacoat. You have to take it to the tailor shop to have shoulder board loops added and the black buttons replaced with gold. In five years I've never seen them on sale already set up for officer use. You might find it in a thrift store. The bridgecoat is a similar material, like very heavy felt. As stated above, it is very long, fitted at the waist, and has a belt. Awesome looking if you're tall, but around $300-400. The overcoat is the crappy dark blue London Fog knock off that officers or enlisted can wear. It's most likely what you'll be issued in training.

Penguin

Kycntryboy

pilot
I know I'm just an OC but there shouldn't be any problem with me wearing a peacoat around on campus with no insignia on it right? What is a CPO?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CPO= Chief Petty Officer

threadjack

any guys preparing to go into the Fleet, or about to get commissioned and getting the Abbott's propaganda shpiel...DO NOT BUY A BRIDGE COAT. Wait until you are sure you'll be stationed somewhere where you will actually need it. I completely got suckered into buying one (when I SHOULD have gotten Mess Dress instead, MUCH more useful).

end threadjack

(anyone wanna buy a bridge coat- j/k)

H

Honour_Class

The bridge coat is nice IF you are going to be in northern climes and IF you are going to be in dress uniforms alot. If you are just going to be in service khaki, the reefer is more functional, manageable and acceptable by the base at large. The o-coat just looks too dressy for most occassions and is too bulky in the office.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Penguin said:
The officers' reefer IS a peacoat. You have to take it to the tailor shop to have shoulder board loops added and the black buttons replaced with gold. In five years I've never seen them on sale already set up for officer use. You might find it in a thrift store. The bridgecoat is a similar material, like very heavy felt. As stated above, it is very long, fitted at the waist, and has a belt. Awesome looking if you're tall, but around $300-400. The overcoat is the crappy dark blue London Fog knock off that officers or enlisted can wear. It's most likely what you'll be issued in training.

Penguin

Penguin,

In the Uniform Regs, the bridgecoat is refered to as the overcoat. The London Fog knockoff is the "All weather coat, blue"

1. ALL‑WEATHER COAT, BLUE

a. Description. A black, single‑breasted, beltless, water repellent coat made of 65%/35% poly/ cotton poplin fabric. The coat has epaulets, tabs on cuffs, and a zip‑out lining. Women's coats button to the left and men's coats button to the right.

b. Correct Wear. Button all buttons except the collar button. Collar button may be buttoned in inclement weather. When wearing the all‑weather coat, the clear plastic combination cap rain cover may be worn. For insignia, officers see <article 4103>, CPOs see <article 4213> and E6 and below see <article 4227>.

c. Ownership Markings. Inside on lining, 3 inches below collar seam, and inside on outer shell on manufacturer's tag, 5 inches from bottom left front.

For all your uniform questions, I suggest the official regs: https://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/uregMenu.html

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Kycntryboy said:
I know I'm just an OC but there shouldn't be any problem with me wearing a peacoat around on campus with no insignia on it right? What is a CPO?

If you're an OC wearing the OC uniform, you'd wear the reefer just as a commissioned officer would. You'd need to have the black buttons changed for gold and loops added to wear your hard shoulder boards on top.

If you're somewhere cold, it can make all the difference. After spending 15 years in Cailfornia and Florida squadrons and now being on a shore tour in the DC area, I'm taking a second look at my old enlisted peacoat and am seriously thinking about getting it switched over. The leather jacket looks good, but I'm freezing my ass off treking across the parking lot (it's a really big parking lot).

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Am I alone in thinking both of those coats look pimp as hell? In fact, I think most Navy uniform components/sets (dress whites, dress blues, khakis) look badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.