• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS Thread

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is DLA supposed to cover exactly? Seems like a nice chunk of change and I'm definitely not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm just curious.

Any former Mids have gouge on whether or not we actually get this, the site I was reading made it sound like we didn't used to as recently as a few years ago.

You won't get any DLA coming from your ROTC unit to your first duty station.

torpedo0126

I'm living onbase at Vance in their dorms, and my HHG have not arrived yet. I don't want the hassle of moving in my couch. How does non-temporary storage work/get set-up?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Can anyone recommend companies that rent trailers other than U-Haul? I'm going to PPM stuff from a home of record move because I don't feel like watching more of my shit get broken, but the price of a Uhaul trailer, for a move half the distance the last time I rented from them (3 months ago), costs over 3 times as much....

Do penske or budget do trailer rentals? am I just a tard who can't find this on the interwebs?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I'm living onbase at Vance in their dorms, and my HHG have not arrived yet. I don't want the hassle of moving in my couch. How does non-temporary storage work/get set-up?

I'm pretty sure that NTS is for overseas moves only. When I did it in Hawaii (yes it counts as overseas) they basically hired a second company to come and pack up the stuff you wanted to put in storage. It sat in some storage place for a few years and then when I did the next move off the Island I just had to pull out the old paperwork and have it delivered. The dumb thing is that they wouldn't initiate it until we had an address whereas the regular HHG shipment we had they pack and start sending just with your ultimate duty station info.

As far as storing HHG I think the government will pay for the first 90 days and then you'll probably get a bill from the government after that. I'd personally suggest renting a storage unit and have them deliver everything there. You can grab anything you like from it and then when you move next just have the movers pack out your storage unit. You are allowed to make the movers pack out your home and a storage unit. I think it has to be within a certain distance though to be covered.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Can anyone recommend companies that rent trailers other than U-Haul? I'm going to PPM stuff from a home of record move because I don't feel like watching more of my shit get broken, but the price of a Uhaul trailer, for a move half the distance the last time I rented from them (3 months ago), costs over 3 times as much....

Do penske or budget do trailer rentals? am I just a tard who can't find this on the interwebs?

I couldn't find a thread I saw a while back to get more info so don't quote me on this...

I think/heard if you own the trailer you get paid for that weight as well. It is a good chance to buy a trailer if you think you will need one later (more DITYs?) and the DITY will pay for it. Seems like a good source of beer income as friends need to borrow it:)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I think/heard if you own the trailer you get paid for that weight as well. It is a good chance to buy a trailer if you think you will need one later (more DITYs?) and the DITY will pay for it. Seems like a good source of beer income as friends need to borrow it:)

Wasn't MB bitching about not getting DITY weight credit for the PUMA? Somethign about having to weigh it empty and pull out his refer, bed, clothes, etc, so they would pay for it?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
ITEMS NOT AUTHORIZED:
Airplanes, automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles; camper trailers; and farm equipment.

It doesn't say "utility trailer" just camper which I assume to mean any type of R.V.

MasterBates

I forget the exact number but util trailers and boats/trailers under a certain size are considered HHG, things above that size are not.

So I have to gut the puma, weigh it, then re-load. Involves renting a u-haul or borrowing a friends garage. Pisses me off because I know what the Puma weighs empty to within 5 pounds, but I MUST have a new weight ticket for empty weight for each move.

But, I also made $9k moving from Krock to Norfolk after taxes, so I will deal with the pain in the ass.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Trailer Buying and HHG DITY

On the trailer note, I've searched here and came up with a bunch of "My buddy did this" or "I heard of some dude...", but no definitive answers. I've also checked out the moving guide ( http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/jftr(ch1-ch10).pdf ), but they don't mention trailers as HHG.

I'm planning on purchasing a single axle, ~13' covered trailer to move my stuff over the multitude of PCS orders I'll be going through (all DITY, or at least partial DITY) over the next few years. This is as opposed to renting the U-Drag.

So two questions:
1) Can I count the trailer weight as HHG?
2) Can you expense the cost of the trailer as part of the DITY expense? (I think not, worth asking though)

Thanks

navy09

None
Pov pcs

What's the standard rate for mileage and per diem while on a PCS move in your car (for a new O1). The GS here told me $50/day of per diem but she didn't know the mileage rate.

Additionally, are the DITY and PCS payments are separate- meaning, does the total payment = PCS entitlement + DITY payment?

navy09

None
@Commodore- full DITY

@torpedo- the one thing i do know is how much i'm getting for the DITY (lbs/mile). i'm still retarded wrt the actual pcs payments.

adamchris

As this thread is for PCS in general, though I do not have any personal experience, I would like to suggest a resource for PCS move loan - Check out No spam allowed.