• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS Thread

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ok, I figured since there isn't one (or at least a search turned up nothing), we should have a thread with PCS advice. There's alot of stuff spread randomly around the forums, so I just figured we could get it all in one place.

Idea came because there are alot of us on AW that have either never PCS'ed before... or at least not with a family to worry about (I'm in the second).

SO, I figure some of you Been There, Done That guys could share your stories and advice with us inexperienced guys.

Mods, if this seems like a sh*tty idea, feel free to lock/delete.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
If you have the Navy move your stuff make sure you take detailed pictures of it before they pack it. In transit you can insure the stuff with depreciation, or full coverage if you want to pay a little extra. Also if you're cool with the packers and movers (like offer them water maybe some pizza) they put a little extra TLC when handling your goods. If you put your stuff in long term storage you can only insure with depreciation. If you have the Navy move stuff make sure you do a partial ditty if you are going to drive your car/s. Don't Weigh the vehicle empty on an empty tank of gas, don't take out the spare tire, and anything else not bolted down to get the lowest weight. I hate moving and packing so I always let the Navy move my stuff. The only problem I ever had was a small nail hole in my mattress. It wasn't really a big deal. When they deliver the stuff to you make sure they unpack and take all of the packing material. On one of my PCS the movers tried to drop all my stuff off and leave. The dude was like can you sign this so we can get going. I said yeah when all my stuff is unpacked and all of these boxes are out of my house. He had to call the other 3 guys out of the truck which was running with the A/C on. They look pretty pissed off, but I didn't tell them to become movers they chose that profession so bite me.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have the Navy move stuff make sure you do a partial ditty if you are going to drive your car/s. Weigh the vehicle empty on an empty tank of gas, take out the spare tire, and anything else not bolted down to get the lowest weight.

When they deliver the stuff to you make sure they unpack and take all of the packing material. On one of my PCS the movers tried to drop all my stuff off and leave. The dude was like can you sign this so we can get going. I said yeah when all my stuff is unpacked and all of these boxes are out of my house. He had to call the other 3 guys out of the truck which was running with the A/C on. They look pretty pissed off, but I didn't tell them to become movers they chose that profession so bite me.
One word on the highlighted portion above....fraud.

As for having them unpack all your stuff at your destination...never done it. They're not going to know where you want things nor will you. It will be bad enough that boxes will be everywhere in your new place.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
How is that fraud? You weigh empty and then full.

It actually specifies you have to have a full gas tank for both weights. The counselors even explain that the empty weight is in "normal driving configuration"... that means with spare, jack and everything else.

Breaking the rule for personal monetary gain == fraud. Clear?

And this is supposed to be tips for making a PCS move less stressful.. not how to get as much $$ out of Uncle Sam as possible... so lets limit it to that.

*I just filled out the dity request form a couple days ago.. the packet specificazlly said both weights have to be with a full gas tank.*

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Wow I don't remember that in my brief and I just had one pretty recently. I didn't see that in the PCS package either. However, I did my last PCS online at SMARTWEBMOVE for the first time. If they tell you specifically not to do that that is fraud. I fixed my first post. I guess I will have to weigh full from now on.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Wow I don't remember that in my brief and I just had one pretty recently. I didn't see that in the PCS package either. However, I did my last PCS online at SMARTWEBMOVE for the first time. If they tell you specifically not to do that that is fraud. I fixed my first post. I guess I will have to weigh full from now on.

I know you were not knowlingly doing the wrong thing, but I also recall those rules from my 2 or 3 dity's.

Heloanjin

pilot
A few things I learned over the course of about 12 moves.

1. I always set up the house so the packers could easily and quickly pack similar items in the same box(es). Nick nacks all on the dining room table, pictures and photos taken down and in one room, etc. It made unpacking a lot easier.

2. Do a partial DITY, even if you're only taking a couple bags in the car. The paperwork is too easy to skip on the extra cash you are entitled to.

3. Try to do a point to point move. That means, if you can pull it off, have a place to move into at the other end. That way, the driver loads the truck, drives to your new house, and unloads the truck. Most of my damage/loss happened when the truck was offloaded at a warehouse and my stuff crated for temp storage at my new duty station. You won't be able to sightsee driving between duty stations since you will need to beat the driver to your new home. But, if the driver has more than one load for his truck, you may get a little more time if your the first pickup/last drop off.

4. Consider buying the extra insurance that covers up to replacement value, especially if you can't do a point to point move. Otherwise, you will only receive up to depreciated value.

5. Get the packers, loaders, unloaders lunch and drinks. It is hard work and these guys aren't paid that much. They will really appreciate it.

6. Don't hover, but keep an eye on the packers and loaders. Things like CDs, DVDs, video games, etc can easily walk away.

7. This should be a no-brainer, but too often blown off. Don't have small, irreplaceable valuables packed. That heirloom ring or your grandfathers sword. I also made a point of taking important papers/records in my car (bank records, will, insurance, whatever). That way, if the truck burns up on the highway or the crate falls overboard while being shipped overseas, you didn't loose the things that are really hard to live without. We even took wedding album and photo negatives when we had the room.

8. I never had the movers unpack at my new house, except for some of the big items. They won't put it away, even if you know where you want it to go. It only goes on the floor. I could always deal with taking out the paper and boxes later as I unpacked at my own pace. You just need to be sure to unpack within 45 days so you can document any additional damage.

9. If you have the time and don't mind the effort, save your boxes and paper. Put an add in the base paper for them. Lots of people doing DITY moves are looking for boxes.

10. Don't take too long turning in the forms like the 1040R. If it isn't in on time, you are screwed.

11. Take the trash out and wash all the dishes before the packers show up. They will pack the trash, dirty dishes, sleeping dog, anything that is in the house. If there are things you don't want packed, put them in a separate room and clearly label "Do not pack." And then keep reminding them to not pack it.

How is that fraud? You weigh empty and then full.

Not to be too critical, but even if you aren't specifically told about gas and spare tires, just taking an ethical check of yourself should have rung a bell that it isn't the right thing to do.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
8. I never had the movers unpack at my new house, except for some of the big items. They won't put it away, even if you know where you want it to go. It only goes on the floor. I could always deal with taking out the paper and boxes later as I unpacked at my own pace. You just need to be sure to unpack within 45 days so you can document any additional damage.

To build on that, for my PCS's, I've always been able to call the movers once I'd unpacked and they'd come back and pick up the boxes and take them away. It saves their company money as they can reuse some boxes, plus it saves their movers time unpacking. That, and after a day of unloading the truck, I'm ready for them to leave.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

1. I always set up the house so the packers could easily and quickly pack similar items in the same box(es). Nick nacks all on the dining room table, pictures and photos taken down and in one room, etc. It made unpacking a lot easier.

2. Do a partial DITY, even if you're only taking a couple bags in the car. The paperwork is too easy to skip on the extra cash you are entitled to.

3. Try to do a point to point move. That means, if you can pull it off, have a place to move into at the other end. That way, the driver loads the truck, drives to your new house, and unloads the truck. Most of my damage/loss happened when the truck was offloaded at a warehouse and my stuff crated for temp storage at my new duty station. You won't be able to sightsee driving between duty stations since you will need to beat the driver to your new home. But, if the driver has more than one load for his truck, you may get a little more time if your the first pickup/last drop off.

4. Consider buying the extra insurance that covers up to replacement value, especially if you can't do a point to point move. Otherwise, you will only receive up to depreciated value.

5. Get the packers, loaders, unloaders lunch and drinks. It is hard work and these guys aren't paid that much. They will really appreciate it.

6. Don't hover, but keep an eye on the packers and loaders. Things like CDs, DVDs, video games, etc can easily walk away.

7. This should be a no-brainer, but too often blown off. Don't have small, irreplaceable valuables packed. That heirloom ring or your grandfathers sword. I also made a point of taking important papers/records in my car (bank records, will, insurance, whatever). That way, if the truck burns up on the highway or the crate falls overboard while being shipped overseas, you didn't loose the things that are really hard to live without. We even took wedding album and photo negatives when we had the room.

9. If you have the time and don't mind the effort, save your boxes and paper. Put an add in the base paper for them. Lots of people doing DITY moves are looking for boxes.

10. Don't take too long turning in the forms like the 1040R. If it isn't in on time, you are screwed.

11. Take the trash out and wash all the dishes before the packers show up. They will pack the trash, dirty dishes, sleeping dog, anything that is in the house. If there are things you don't want packed, put them in a separate room and clearly label "Do not pack." And then keep reminding them to not pack it.

Not to be too critical, but even if you aren't specifically told about gas and spare tires, just taking an ethical check of yourself should have rung a bell that it isn't the right thing to do.

Honestly I never thought to much about it. To me empty was empty and full was full. Either way I had to travel with the weight. Some people told me they weighed themselves (physically) full with the vehicle. Now I thought that was wrong. I hate cardboard boxes so I always tell the movers to take them. I really hate breaking them down. Just personal preference I guess. I didn't know they would come back and take the boxes at a later time either. i guess that is another trick I've learned for my next PCS. This turned out to be a better thread then I initially expected. I thought I was pretty much a PCS master. Guess not.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Honestly I never thought to much about it. To me empty was empty and full was full. Either way I had to travel with the weight.

That's the thing, the Navy is paying to move your stuff NOT paying you for your time and effort. In a DITY they end up paying you only because it is cheaper than having the movers do it. In fact, they pay you exactly 90% (or 95%, can't remember which) of what it would cost them to pay the movers to move it. The only reason the DITY move exists is because it saves the government money.

I'm not criticizing or attacking you, just trying to make it clear to everyone who doesn't know, why you can't weigh it "full" and "empty."

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
That's the thing, the Navy is paying to move your stuff NOT paying you for your time and effort. In a DITY they end up paying you only because it is cheaper than having the movers do it. In fact, they pay you exactly 90% (or 95%, can't remember which) of what it would cost them to pay the movers to move it. The only reason the DITY move exists is because it saves the government money.

I'm not criticizing or attacking you, just trying to make it clear to everyone who doesn't know, why you can't weigh it "full" and "empty."

I don't think your comments criticized or attacked me at all. I am actually glad you guys clarified those points for me. Fraud is a strong word which I do not want my name associated with.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy

Bear in mind that when you arrive at your new duty station, they may call you and give you two hours to accept your goods before they put them in storage. This is a problem if you are at work/flying when they call. I was told that they can't always pre-plan a specific delivery date unless you want the goods to go into storage first. I'm not sure if this is always true, but so far, I haven't found a way around it.

The movers on my last move refused to pack cleaning supplies (wet or dry), perfume, candles, or alcohol (I gave it all to them). They did, however, pack empty beer cans they found behind the couch as though they were precious collectables and remove and carefully pack all the shelves from the refrigerator (which was staying). I somewhat blame myself for the poor supervision here, as the movers were clearly in an altered mental state when they arrived and just got worse throughout the day. I should probably have been more clear by throwing out trash and old pieces of mail that I did not want packed.

hscs

pilot
Anyone got any specific gouge on moving to/from Japan with family (Atsugi specifically)?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Does anyone recommend a place that I can actually weigh my vehicle at?