• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pcola Ivan BDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a very good source.

Subject: Initial IVAN BDA/SITREP

Hurricane Ivan Status - (U.S. Navy)

NAS Pensacola:

CO and acting regional commander - Captain John Pruitt, USN

General BDA:

* A majority of base roads are impassable.

* Generator power to selected buildings only

* Reported damage to every building on station - 90% of

buildings has suffered "significant" damage.

* Currently no power - no water - no sewage.

* Sporadic gas leaks exist all over the base.

* Phone landlines restored on limited capability this morning

* Internet connectivity/Navy.mil website still down. ETR

sometime this afternoon.

* Base Public Affairs Office destroyed - photo lab destroyed.

* Naval Air Technical Training Center is completely under

water

* Pensacola Naval Air Station Museum structure held up. S-3

President Bush flew aboard USS Abraham Lincoln is intact and undamaged.

* Coast Guard station reported destroyed

* Air Station Cemetery intact

* Approximately 10% of power lines are down - conservative

estimate.

* Runways are capable - Air Control tower structure ok -

Radar is down

Personnel:

* All personnel attached to the base are present and/or

accounted for. No reported injuries

* 2900 sailors are stationed at local shelters in the

community. Working with the American Red Cross to unload supplies and

food.

* No one allowed on base due to power lines being down - Base

restricted only to Emergency and disaster relief personnel.

* Florida National Guard from all over the state is inbound

for relief efforts. ETA this afternoon.

* NMCB 1 Seabee detachment (48 Personnel) from Gulfport left

Gulfport, MS at 0200 but has not yet arrived due to road damage outside of

the base.

* Seabee detachments also scheduled to arrive Saturday AM and

Sunday AM.

* OIC of Seabee detachment OIC is RADM (sel) Wayne Shear

Media:

* Media availability via conference call today at 1530 EST -

RADM(sel) Shear and Capt Pruitt

* Harry White to coordinate via cell phone/land line

* Phone interview with NPR conducted yesterday - disconnected

midway through - unclear if I/V ever aired

* No I/Vs on base until the environment is safe - aiming for

media availability on base tomorrow or Sunday

* Imagery - Pictures taken of the base by PAO - Working with

NMCI to transmit those photos to MEDIACEN and CHINFO.

NETC/CNATRA:

POC - LT Robert Lyon, USN - CNATRA PAO - Corpus Christi

NETC personnel off line - no contact. Not allowed on base at NAS Pensacola

361-961-3666 - DSN - 861-3666

Blue Angels

* All Blue Angels operations are on hold

* Scheduled show this weekend in Nantucket is canceled

* Every member of Blue Angels reporting damage to their homes

- currently working on return plan to Pensacola

* All shows for the next week are on hold

NAS Whiting Field

* Every hangar at Whiting is missing its roof.

* Aircraft damage in hangars is suspected. Full BDA still

ongoing.

* No one other than emergency personnel are allowed on base

* Two-thirds of all primary air training is held at NAS

Whiting

* Primary and helicopter training held at NAS Whiting

completely down for approximately two weeks.

* Current plan is to move training operations to Meridian,

MS. No damage at all reported at Meridian

NAVSTA Pascagoula:

POC: Stacey J. Byington - Base PAO

Phone: 228-761-2164

Commanding Officer - CDR Steven Rea, USN

* USS Yorktown (CG 48) u/w as scheduled.

* USS Ticonderoga (CG 47) & USS Stephen W Groves (FFG 29)

still pierside. Ships are both re-manned. 100% space walkthroughs

complete. No damage, structural external or internal reported.

* Electrical Power to the pier and ship shore power restored

* All personnel present and/or accounted for. No reported

injuries.

* Minimal damage at NAVSTA reported.

* Several small trees uprooted, tree limbs broken off, and

two light poles toppled around the base. Part of the roof of MWR eatery was

blown off, and minor wind damage to some base signage reported.

Ingalls Shipbuilding:

* PCUs - USS James E Williams (DDG 95) u/w for Hurricane

avoidance.

* Remainder of ships, USS Halsey (DDG 97), USS Forrest

Sherman (DDG 98) and USS San Antonio (LPD 17) report no damage. All

personnel present and/or accounted for.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Thanks for the well informed, albeitly bad, news. Please post more info when you get it on training at NAS Whiting and what we will do concerning simulators.

SFgirl

Hmmm maybe they should just tear it all down and rebuild it back to hurricane code... might take less time! j/k Seriously though, I hope the Navy figures it out soon for everyone!

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
34s and 45s in the pattern at the same time, have fun with that! Be careful they don't let that become permanent like the AF does at Vance, Columbus, and Laughlin (37s, 1s, and 38s), it is not fun.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
yeah feel bad for all the civilian contractors who may now be homeless AND jobless... poor sim instructors too.

petescheu

Yeah we get -34s in the GCA pattern here that come in from CC; the IPs aren't too fond, seeing as how we do 200 on downwind and they are significantly less which throws a fat monkey in the wrench.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
shoo24 said:
Yeah we get -34s in the GCA pattern here that come in from CC; the IPs aren't too fond, seeing as how we do 200 on downwind and they are significantly less which throws a fat monkey in the wrench.

They weren't the biggest fans of us either when I took a 45 over to NGP. As soon as I checked in with approach, they asked for 150 kts (HA) "unable".... followed shortly thereafter by about 4-5 sqwauk changes and seemingly meaningless vectors. We both jack up each others airspace pretty good I would imagine.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Most of the T-2 sims were in trailers anyway, probably just have to plug them in and reboot the software. Shouldn't be too bad with Fo's here either, considering they're cruising around in the backseat and don't require multiple landings per hop. May have to clean the walls in the bathroom stalls more often though, once they.....well, better stop there. Getting gross and starting to step on toes!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously, there is going to be an unimaginable backlog in training now. The API pool is going to be wicked. I understand that they won't let you guys go on OHARP to your hometown or college town. That is BS and I hope some of you guys have it readdressed. Unless they are going to have poolers manning chain saws and pumping water out of basements you would be more productive at a recruiting office, and it isn't exactly brain surgery or back breaking. Tell some guys about OCS, kill time on campus, take the gov. cars to the car wash. Take a break from phone musters from the beach and see your folks or college buds for a few weeks. We would especially like to see some guys in between phases of flight training.

petescheu

Patmack18 said:
Latest word for today... subject to change in 5 minutes.

You guys in Krock think it's bad now, they decided all whiting T-34's need to go to either K'rock or Corpus, because we have no T-34 support here or the T-34 sims. NFO's are still coming here, thats a definate. Supposed to be here within the week with T-39's and T-2's, bringing T-2 sims back, and I guess supporting them shouldn't be a problem seeing as how they used to have like over 200 A-4's and T-2s here.

You know what's funny is that I wrote in my last post (and then took it out for some reason) wondering why they weren't sending anyone down south. I figured Meridian was a lot closer to PCola than CC/K-Rok... go figure, should have seen that coming.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, we really wouldn't want those SNFO's getting your girlfriend's phone numbers. He He He :p :icon_wink
ea6bflyr

BTW: I've been in Meridian...and it's almost like Lower Alabama...at least you have a Wal-Mart and a Ho-Jo's. I'd prefer P-Cola....

jboomer said:
...May have to clean the walls in the bathroom stalls more often though, once they.....well, better stop there. Getting gross and starting to step on toes!

jano

patmack you are scaring me a little bit. Do you mean if they send my husband home to work out of the recuiters office here we won't get BAH? That would be a nightmare. There's no way we can pay our mortgage without his BAH.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On-scene at Whiting

I rode the storm out at NAS Whiting, so here's the best on-scene report I can give if anyone's curious. Word through the grapevine around here is that aircraft will be returning soon. All TW-5 studs will be mustering on Friday to do a FOD walkdown, so that rumor would seem to make sense. The north field maintenance hangar lost a significant chunk of its roof. The other one looks intact. The midfield hangar actually had 2 doors blown off, and one of them is still in parts unknown. South Hangar roof damage seems to be limited to its covering, nothing structural, but I haven't been closer than about 100 yards.

I haven't been in any squadron spaces personally, The HT building has roof covering peeled off and apparently significant water damage to the tune of 4 inches of water in some spaces. VT-3 spaces got hit really badly with massive roof damage, but apparently it shielded the VT-2 and -6 building, which seems to be good to go, according to those who have been in it. Dunno how the sims made out. Line shacks are apparently in good shape, but that's thirdhand hearsay. The AMO school also lost a big chunk of roof but their classes are back in session as of today, according to the students I talked to.

The base gym and chapel lost almost all shingles off their roofs and are probably pretty wet. HQ is a little better but still missing many shingles. BOQ rooms are hit and miss. Some are trashed, some fine. The BEQ section lost a big chunk of roofing paper, they sound like they're worse off than we are on the BOQ side. Most rooms will probably need new carpet and ceiling tiles, maybe some drywall fixed here and there. Cosmetic stuff, really. Branch Medical got a ton of water in the lobby but apparently other spaces there are fine. The Wings Club got minor roof damage with ensuing minor leakage and wet carpet in places. We were eating there from Thursday till yesterday it is pretty much still intact.

Overall all buildings are still more or less structurally intact (i.e. walls and some semblance of a roof), but beat up to greater or lesser degrees, although I can't vouch for water damage. Many, many trees are down. The static displays took dings, dents, and a broken Huey window. The TH-57 is totally trashed. I'll post pics when my cable comes online. We now have power, water and phones back and the base is officially back in business as of today. That's about all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.