• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Hey guys, I am getting married Oct. 1, 2005. Soooooo, my fiance is driving me NUTS about money (we live in the northern, VA land of crazy expenses). Will I get BAH for my wife while at OCS? How much does the pay end up at after taxes etc... while during training? Is food taken out of your pay for OCS or is that covered? I am just trying to give her some kind of OCS budget so she calms down.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
That question has been somewhat addressed here but I have no definite answer.

I am very curious as well since I am currently active duty, single, and receiving BAH. I am wondering if I will lose it. I assume I will, so I will have to save up a few mortgage payments.

Does anyone know if we will be eligible for BAH in TBS? If not, it would probably be better for me to sell the house before OCS....but it sure would suck if I got NPQ'd for some reason and had no place to live......Anyone know the definite answer?

-Paul

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I am pretty sure that during TBS you get BAH. Its OCS that I am trying to find out the details. I just want to know how much I can tell my fiance (who will then be my wife), how much she will be getting for bills so I know if certain bills (i.e. student loans) need to be deferred while I am gone.

Tulman737

E6286 said:
I am pretty sure that during TBS you get BAH. Its OCS that I am trying to find out the details. I just want to know how much I can tell my fiance (who will then be my wife), how much she will be getting for bills so I know if certain bills (i.e. student loans) need to be deferred while I am gone.

I am pretty sure that you get BAH while at OCS if you are married, have a mortage etc. Your OSO will go over all of that info before you ship, but I would ask your OSO just to be sure.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
You'll get BAH if you're married and live out in town. If you're a geo-bachelor (wife doesn't come to TBS with you) I believe you'll get BAH for wherever she is living. You'll get like $13/month BAH for living in the barracks (that's what is left over).

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
Yes, you will get E-5 BAH for the area of your home of record and depending on where you live, you may qualify for Family Separation Allowance as well. (I'm not sure how far from Quantico your home of record has to be in order to get FSA) E-5 pay =$1759.50 E-5 BAH (for my area) $896 I think that N. Virginia is around $1000. You can look up the exact amount.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So wait, I will get BAH while in OCS? I live in the Northern VA area, Arlington County. Would I get the full amount for my wife or just the geo bachelor rate?

Also, during TBS, if my wife chooses to stay in arlington and just see me on the weekends, how much would geo bachelor BAH be? Is it enough to make that worth while?

That 1759.50 isn't much after taxes I am sure so I am trying to figure things out. Its ridiculously expensive around here. 1800 a month for a 2 BR apt. we will have..........

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
I'm going to give you a direct quote out of some paperwork that I recieved......."If you are married and/or have children, you will receive a tax-free basic allowance for housing (BAH) to your E-5 base pay. Depending on your individual situation, you may be eligible for Family Separation Allowance (FSA) if your dependents don't live in the immediate area." .............

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Sounds good, I get married Oct. 1 and (God willing) will report to 190 on Oct. 9th. Overcome: check out my other post regarding reporting. Maybe you can answer that as well.

Are you headed to OCS soon?

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
I'll see what I can do regarding your other posts......... Yes I am headed to OCS soon..... Navy OCS 12-03-05......but I did attend Marine Corps OCS OCC 186. 06-06-04

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Were you injured and sent home or what? Pretty impressive that you were picked up for Navy OCS during these tight times, especially after going to Marine OCS. Air contract for Navy?

Lemme know about the other post. Thanks.

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
No, I didn't get injured..... While I was there I started to get paranoid about TBS and the fact that my MOS was determined by xy + Q / 256........ I wanted to know before hand what exactly I will be doing. I didn't want to be an infantry officer, tank officer, MP...... etc. It was a difficult decision, but I think that it was a very good decision........ PM me if you have anymore questions.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Oh, you DORed and still got picked up for Navy OCS Impressive. So what designator are you going to Navy OCS on?

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
Supply Corps Officer (310X)............ I think that choosing the Marine Corps in the beginning was because I grew up and have lived in the Marine Corps environment all my life.........so I applied without really thinking about what I would like to do while serving my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.