• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay as an officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghead1

I know you get paid as an E-5 during OCS, then as an 0-1 during TBS. Does the time you spend in TBS and flight school count towards the time before you can get a raise? For example, after 2 years, you can make more than an 0-1 with less than 2 years in. If you go to TBS and then flight school, you'd hit the 2 year mark somewhere during that time. Would you be elligible for that raise? Also, can you get promoted during flight school? Thanks

TANGO 1

Contributor
Yes, you can be promoted during flight school, if you meet the time in grade and time in service. Your time in training counts towards your time in service, so definitely you will be accumulating time towards time and service which mean you will be making more. As a matter of fact i think your time in service starts the day you go to OCS, i am not so sure about that but i know damn well there is somebody on this site that will tell you for sure.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
TANGO 1 said:
As a matter of fact i think your time in service starts the day you go to OCS
That's correct. If you're a non-PS, then the TIS begins the day you check in at OCS.

Dustball

2nd LT
Sorry USMCBebop thats not entirely correct. Your pay entry base date (PEBD) starts when you report to OCS if you do not accept any MCTAP college money. They use your PEBD to decide if you make O-1 over 2, under2 ect. But time in service and time in grade don't start until your commissioning date. You can accept FAP payments without effecting your PEBD but if you recieve MCTAP your BEBD starts when your commissioned. So if you do PLC Juniors/Seniors you could report to TBS an O-1 over 3 technically. Moral of the story, if you don't need MCTAP don't take it you can loose alot of money over your career.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Dustball said:
Sorry USMCBebop thats not entirely correct. Your pay entry base date (PEBD) starts when you report to OCS if you do not accept any MCTAP college money. They use your PEBD to decide if you make O-1 over 2, under2 ect. But time in service and time in grade don't start until your commissioning date. You can accept FAP payments without effecting your PEBD but if you recieve MCTAP your BEBD starts when your commissioned. So if you do PLC Juniors/Seniors you could report to TBS an O-1 over 3 technically. Moral of the story, if you don't need MCTAP don't take it you can loose alot of money over your career.
What about for OCC? I'm presuming the MCTAP is for PLC. I know in OCC there was no tuition assistance bennie that I knew of (well then again, OCC is for the grads). I can only speak from OCC standpoint.

Dustball

2nd LT
Its the same deal for OCC studs. Your PEBD will start when you get to OCS but your time in service and time in grade(O-1) will start the day you are commissioned.

TANGO 1

Contributor
Dustball, you kind of lost me. But if i understand you correctly, what you are saying is that if you get the MCTAP as a PLCiers or any other program then your time in service don't start until you get commissioned, but everyone else when they report to OCS.

Thanks for clearing thing up in here. I used to think that your PEBD start the first date you stepped at jnrs and then you time in grade when you get commissioned, but it looks like this is different from what you are saying.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
I see

Dustball said:
Its the same deal for OCC studs. Your PEBD will start when you get to OCS but your time in service and time in grade(O-1) will start the day you are commissioned.
Well that makes sense. What's a ten week difference? Not much I guess.

Dustball

2nd LT
TANGO 1 said:
Dustball, you kind of lost me. But if i understand you correctly, what you are saying is that if you get the MCTAP as a PLCiers or any other program then your time in service don't start until you get commissioned, but everyone else when they report to OCS.

Thanks for clearing thing up in here. I used to think that your PEBD start the first date you stepped at jnrs and then you time in grade when you get commissioned, but it looks like this is different from what you are saying.

No, I said if you take MCTAP your PEBD doesn't start until your commissioned but if you don't take it it starts the first day of OCS be it Juniors or combined. As far as time in service and time in grade, no matter what program you do, time in service and time in grade only starts when you are a commissioned officer.

Fongabonga

pilot
The MCTAP is really a poor option given the fact that if you enter PLC your freshman year, decline MCTAP, you get paid about $500 a month base pay more than your peers who took MCTAP because you are paid with a PEBD thats 3 years old.

lucky1899

pay question

I know O-1's make about $2200 a month. This might be a stupid question, but is that before or after taxes. Cause if that is before taxes thats only about $1500 a month. Obviously nobody joins the Marines for money, but that is still tough. And yes, I know the enlisted make far less. Seems like the military gets the shaft alot doesnt it?

KBayDog

Yes, that is your pre-tax Basic Pay. And yes, we are underpaid. We will ALWAYS be underpaid.

HOWEVER - if you live within your means, and take advantage of the things we don't get shafted on, it is very easy to live a comfortable life. For example, with a few exceptions, the only pay that is taxable is your Basic Pay. Plus, if you serve even one day in a combat area, that entire month's Basic Pay all of a sudden becomes tax-free. It must be noted that many states do not tax servicemen.

Allowances, such as housing, sustenance, clothing, etc. are not taxable. Also, how many organizations will pay for your basic living expenses? If you buy a house, you can put your BAH towards it. All of a sudden, Uncle Sam is paying your mortgage, and you reap all of the benefits!

What if you put money into the Thrift Savings Plan? Well, if you put the maximum of 9% of your base pay into it, your taxable income is lowered by 9%.

Do I need to point out the cost of civilian vs. military health care?

I could go on and on, but the point is this: No, you will not get rich in the military. (As you correctly pointed out, that is not what we are here for!) Just do not use the Basic Pay charts as a gauge of how much you will make. There are numerous tangible benefits available to servicemembers that are worth investigating before you make your decision to seek a commission.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Well said KBayDog. At first glance, $2200 a month isn't jack, but when one looks at the other things officers get... it's not so bad afterall.

usmcwife

It will even out once you get some years under your belt. My DH is at 186 now and when he is commissioned he will be making about $3200.00 with base pay and comrats. That is 0-1E pay with 6 years. He has been in 7 this August. Next August he will get a $500.00 raise. Plus like the other posters said, medical and housing make up the difference.

froghead1

Does anyone happen to know the states that don't charge income tax for servicemen? I couldn't seem to find a list on the internet. I know MI, FL, and NY are three of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.