• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay as an officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
lucky1899 said:
I know O-1's make about $2200 a month. This might be a stupid question, but is that before or after taxes. Cause if that is before taxes thats only about $1500 a month. Obviously nobody joins the Marines for money, but that is still tough. And yes, I know the enlisted make far less. Seems like the military gets the shaft alot doesnt it?

Just my .02, but I'm making a little over 2300 a month base and I'm just a lonely E6, so enlisted don't always make less...it's once you start getting time in you start to see the differences add up.... :icon_wink

plmtree

WA, AZ, MO, NJ, TX, to name a few more. Once you're in the service, some states automatically stop state taxes but for others (AZ, NJ, NY, MO) you have to fill out a waiver at your personnel office and then it stops.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Yes, that is your pre-tax Basic Pay. And yes, we are underpaid. We will ALWAYS be underpaid.

You know, I'm a LT over 12 and can honestly say that I make a pretty good living. And that's strictly money going in my pocket. That doesn't include any of the benefits I'm entitled to, notably health care. If you add that on there, then my yearly salary just went up about another $7200. O-1 pay isn't exactly great. But you'll be making more than most enlisted, and they work harder.

With that said I'm getting out of the Navy in about a month. There's not a whole lot out there that will be able to offer me the same salary and benefits as the military. So, I'm not exactly sure how we (as an officer community) are underpaid. If you apply that statement to the enlisted community, then I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

plmtree

If you look at the TBS thread "More questions about pay" I put a breakdown on there on how much you get paid as a 2ndLt with no prior service. Keep in mind you are not paying for medical/dental insurance, you're not paying for housing, and you're not paying for your meals unless you eat out. You have almost $1000 per payday to spend on whatever you please. What company will give you all this on top of your 30 days paid leave per year? Whoever says that the military is underpaid is flat out wrong. Even for the enlisted folks, if you come in as a private you are about 18-19 years old, right? Their pay is about $600 per paycheck (back in my day I was getting $400). And with all the same benefits. What is a kid straight out of high school that has no debt (shouldn't have any) going to do with $1200 a month?
We all say we are underpaid, in a peacetime situation, definitely not. In a wartime situation, I'd say yes. You are putting your life on the line for your country and that is priceless.

KBayDog

Steve Wilkins said:
So, I'm not exactly sure how we (as an officer community) are underpaid. If you apply that statement to the enlisted community, then I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'm O1-E, going over 8 in Oct, and I am making a VERY comfortable living.

What I meant is that for the hours we put in, the equipment we operate, and (most importantly) the lives in which we are entrusted, we can never be paid enough.

Of course, we aren't in this business for the money.

lucky1899

I disagree. I think the military is tremendously underpaid, anyway you look at it. Right now I work a relatively stress free 40 hour/week job, I just started three weeks ago. I was told to expect to make $60,000 in my first year (i just graduated college), $85,000 the next year and at least $100,000 by year 3. You can imagine its hard for me to imagine dropping down to about $25,000 a year. I have to admit I am struggling with the decision to leave this extremely lucrative job to lead Marines, but I'm sure its a decision many others are faced with as well. The thing I keep telling myself is this: at the end of my life- those thousands of dollars lost will pale in comparison to the pride I will feel from knowing I served my country and sacrificed.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as aviation goes, remember how much money they're putting into your training. No way I could ever afford to get the level of experience and responsibility in flying without the military.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
personally, i don't think that I'm underpaid at all...
2 years in I make around $40k after taxes. Factor in free flying, training, medical, dental, and working with the best people around, and there's really nothing to gripe about but the normal day to day bs.

If you want to make 100k sitting in a cubicle for the rest of your life, more power to you. I'd rather make a fraction of that enjoying every day of my job. Not a lot of "no sh-t there I was filing my TPS reports" stories interest people either. :icon_tong

TANGO 1

Contributor
There is this Navy recruiting advert, that is motivating. It goes along this lines" When somebody writes a story about your life, what would it be ?"
Well after about 30 years of hard work, behind a desk with little or no time off, less than 30 days of paid vacation and getting fat for no having time during the week to PT, how would you recall this moments.
Compare this to a guy that spent 30years in the Military, has gotten 30 days of paid vacation in all 30 years, lots of tactical training, is in shape after 30 years of service, has a million and one stories to tell you about the different places he has been around the world while he seats down outside his porch drinking some cold brew, plus the fact that he has made friends for eternal. How do you compare this. Which of this stories would you want to read?

The satisfaction of money stops after a while (law of diminishing return) kind like economics and then the fun matters more than anything else.

It is a tough decision, but i tell you what ain't nothing like a scence of accomplishment.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the things I'm looking at doing is teaching high school and coaching baseball. Starting salary is a wopping $30,000 and some change (and maybe a $2500 stipend if I ever get a head coach gig). And that's without healthcare, with the 3 years of military experience (increase in starting pay), and with a masters degree. Of course, I still need the masters degree. Sooooo, we'll see.

Yes, I could go the corporate route, start out at probably $50K or so, work my way up through the ranks. But why? What purpose am I serving by doing that? God knows these kids need some sense knocked into them. They can't do simple algebra and they don't know a damn thing about history, especially U.S. History or where this country came from, what it's been through, or where it's going. They know what an Ipod is though.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
They can't do simple algebra and they don't know a damn thing about history, especially U.S. History or where this country came from, what it's been through, or where it's going. They know what an Ipod is though.
But Steve, that would require YOU to know algebra and history....

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i don't know if the amount of money i make makes up for the 12+ hour workdays i'm working as well as being gone on Dets & exercises where i work 7 days a week ...

the free medical & dental is nice to talk about but it's definately second (maybe even third) rate medicine

s/f

reapergm

Is it just me, or has everyone been stressing about money lately? Is everyone that strapped for cash? Damn, I want to make a good living and be "comfortable", I admit. I just never really thought about it too much being that I am applying to the military. I guess its something to think about huh? Let me ask you this though... as much as we all wish to be alittle more well off... do you guys love what you are doing? Would you trade it in for a 6 figure wall street job?

KBayDog

reapergm said:
Let me ask you this though... as much as we all wish to be alittle more well off... do you guys love what you are doing? Would you trade it in for a 6 figure wall street job?

Trade it in? Not JUST "no"...

Leading Marines is the greatest gig in the world. The fact that I get paid for it is icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.