• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay... again since I cant find an open post

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
OK, this sounds stupid, but none of the other threads really address this. How well can you live off the meager income that I can put numbers to with the pay charts, BAH, etc.?

I'm only asking, because I am currently making about $60K, turned down a job for $70K, and would be taking what I consider a HUGE rate cut when I drop to $37 and change as indicaned on the O-pay charts. I realize it's all a question of quality of life, and what you can spend your $$ on, but it just seems easier to save $ when you're making a bunch more.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-Texan

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Just as a side note, the money thing isnt really a huge deal to me if it was, I'd be in the North somewhere freezing my a$$ off in the winter making 90 - 100 or so. I think personal job satisfaction and happiness in what you're doing is much more important.

There is however a minimum quality of life that I'd like to live to, and I just need to be sure as a USMC officer, I'd be able to do that.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You won't be living high on the hog. As long as you can stand drinking cheap and not blowing excessive amounts of cash, you won't notice it. You'll be studying your ass off of rthe first few years anyway. By the time you have a significant amount of free time, you'll have saved quite a bit of cash. Get some roommates to live away from the base for the change of scenery, take road trips, shop at the commissary, don't buy a ridiculous car, gamble at the 5 dollar table.

You won't be a Rockafeller but you'll still be making money.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, you will be taking a huge paycut. It's part of the deal. I could be making loads more as an Electrical Engineer than I could be as a Student Naval Aviator. But it's not about the money.

That being said, the military is "funny money". Healthcare, dental, life insurance are all paid for. If you play your cards right, your rent and utilities are all paid for (BAH is a wonderful thing). I live with 2 other guys in a decent sized house and I have MORE than enough play-cash to throw around. Like Zab said, don't drive a ridiculous car, be careful how you spend your cash if you like expensive things, and learn how to shop smart. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you should pay too much for a product. Wasting is wasting.

Speaking of $5 tables, I made a buttload off a $5 Craps table this weekend.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I do pretty well on O-1 pay. In fact, I have enough money that I'm paying off my truck loan faster than usual. Now my buddy with a BMW has a tough time, but thats his fault. Fly and Zab are right, it doesn't seem like much but its certainly enough to have fun with.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not too worry ... it's all relative. When I was an O-1 ...

11852vt.jpg

I drove a car like this, made $225 take-home every two weeks, had wine, women, song, and ate steak and shrimp on the barby (no canned beans for us) 2-4 times a week. Lots of "extracurricular" activities, as did all the rest of the guys .... the parking lot at the "Q" was full of Vettes, GTO's, 442's, and a sprinkling of foreign sports cars. No computers, however .... we flew, got drunk, and chased women instead of posting on Air Warriors. It's all relative --- you'll do fine. :) ALOHA

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Having a wife that makes >$65k doesn't hurt either! No shame in my game. None. At all...Seriously.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Like A4's said, it is all relative. Live within your means and you shouldn't have a problem. You can make okay money but it takes time and a bonus. At 12.5 years in, I'm an O-4 maing 102K a year without my yearly bonus. That 102k includes base pay, BAS, BAH and flight pay. I took the the 5-year 125K bonus two years ago. Add 25k a year to that 102k and there you go. Unfortunetly for me, my pay most likely won't go up much over the next 7.5 years until retirement. Wife needs to pick up the slack so she can support me when I retire :D

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
http://staynavytools.bol.navy.mil/PCC/?B3=Launch+Calculator

Good site for calculating your pay including funny "benefits." As an O2 in San Diego according to that I make $58k before taxes $50k take home after taxes and to make an equivalent amount I would have to earn $78k in the civilian world. Not too bad I guess considering this is the best job in the world. I have enough money to live in the gaslamp district in a nice apartment and still enjoy myself if I dont go too overboard. Still not as much as I could have made as an Engineer, but not bad considering.

KimberlyD

I'm getting a kick out of this thread, my husband is in STA-21 (currently getting E6 over 6), he'll get O1E over 8 this December, we currently own a home, 2 new cars, a boat (not a small one either, a 24 foot cabin cruiser), he goes out w/ his "boys" regularly be it skeet shooting, fishing or just shooting the sh!t at Hooters, we have 2 daughters, one who is starting a private preschool next month & both who are major fashionistas so not cheap & you know what? We manage to put money away every month. The pay is not as low as some people obviously think. I married my husband when he was an E5 over 4, he had more in savings than many of the O2 over 4 crowd w/ flight pay that I had been dating. Just be careful w/ your money, try to pay cash or as much cash as you can for everything & you'll be okay.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I have never NOT saved money since joining the Marine Corps, even as an E-1.

If you aren't spending your entire paycheck on beer, and you aren't compelled to spend outside of your means you should be fine...also if you are single it helps :)

The base pay chart doesn't even factor in all the cash you will make when you go overseas. I partied like a rockstar practically everyday for 2 years straight in Eastern Europe and I still saved huge amounts of money...

The is a reason why everyone coming back from deployment buys a new Mustang.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Physicx said:
Hey Bunk what are the chances you will make O-5 or O-6?

As long as I don't blow it here (my DH tour), chances are very good. My board is Feb 07. Now making command, not quite as good but possible.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bunk, ooohhh...that's a scary thought. O-5... hey aren't you headed out again soon (relatively)? I hear Tater will be your AOIC...scary also.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
Bunk, ooohhh...that's a scary thought. O-5... hey aren't you headed out again soon (relatively)? I hear Tater will be your AOIC...scary also.

Why yes, I think I am going out next year. I'm probably the first OIC in the last 8 years at least to have to do two deployments. I am truly a lucky man :tapedshut Tell Tater he better be squared the **** away. It's easy enough though, being a part of my det. You have to do three things and do them well..............party hard, drink hard and fly hard..........not necessarily in that order.