• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Path to becomming a Navy Pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...I don't have to sweat the small stuff because it's intuitive...
That's a mishap waiting to happen...

This statement makes me laugh. I actually understand what skyhawk is trying to say, and to a point, it can help. If you're comfortable in the air, it's one less thing.

But at the same time, I think about watching a 6000 hour (yes, that's written correctly) O-5 DCA/Former Marine trying to keep the Turbo Weenie upright on an instrument hop, and struggling to do so. It's not hard, but it's different, and that's what makes it "challenging" (if that's the word).

Good luck on your endeavors, but don't think you've got everything licked before you start.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Well, what are you waiting for then!! The Navy's looking for damn good pilots :icon_smil

Threadjack:

Every time I look at your avatar, I cringe, thats disgusting. Reminds me of a time we were at the base bar drinking (a lot) and one of the guys went into the bathroom, got a piss biscuit out of a urinal, and came out and dropped it in this guys' drink without him knowing. None of us knew until after the fact, but the guy drank half of his beer before he realized it was in there. It was funny when we were drunk, and disgusting the next day sober looking back on it.

End Threadjack.

phrogpilot73

This statement makes me laugh. I actually understand what skyhawk is trying to say, and to a point, it can help. If you're comfortable in the air, it's one less thing.
Yeah, I knew what he was saying too... I was referring more to the idea that flying is intuitive can lead to complacency... Right when you get comfortable is right when bad things start happening. Maybe that's the jittery helo guy in me coming out...

But at the same time, I think about watching a 6000 hour (yes, that's written correctly) O-5 DCA/Former Marine trying to keep the Turbo Weenie upright on an instrument hop, and struggling to do so. It's not hard, but it's different, and that's what makes it "challenging" (if that's the word).

Good luck on your endeavors, but don't think you've got everything licked before you start.

Haha whoa - I wasn't comparing skyhawks to hornets: I'm just looking forward to expanding my experience in the sky; whereas most guys without the flight experience might not even be so certain they know they are into this stuff.

Yeah, I knew what he was saying too... I was referring more to the idea that flying is intuitive can lead to complacency... Right when you get comfortable is right when bad things start happening. Maybe that's the jittery helo guy in me coming out...

Nah I agree; but don't dance around the issue: arrogance kills, that's important.

Anyway gents, I'm talking to the surgeon in two weeks, it should give me a hard date that way I set up a specific entry date with my recruiter (I'm told you can do that). "Delayed entry" or something like that. I'm thinking of saying screw it to the price and just going into debt... do 0-1's make enough to pay that back (3500), say, in a year?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Haha whoa - I wasn't comparing skyhawks to hornets:
That's obvious - I think what they're trying to caution you of is comparing Skyhawks to Turbo Mentors, Texan IIs, or, god forbid, the Tweet.

But really, its: don't make the mistake of comparing civil aviation to Naval Aviation - they don't mix too terribly well. The important thing to remember is to hold on to the fundamentals of SA, talk & fly at the same time, etc. - and be ready to flush anything that doesn't mesh. Nothing will make things difficult faster than a "that's not the way I learned it" attitude.

BourneID

pilot
Anyway gents, I'm talking to the surgeon in two weeks, it should give me a hard date that way I set up a specific entry date with my recruiter (I'm told you can do that). "Delayed entry" or something like that. I'm thinking of saying screw it to the price and just going into debt... do 0-1's make enough to pay that back (3500), say, in a year?

I thought Delayed entry was an enlisted thing.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
do 0-1's make enough to pay that back (3500), say, in a year?
That depends on how much beer and a$$ you consume in flight school.:D

But, DLA for a move to primary in Corpus will take a big chunk out of that.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

There is a sticky in one of the sub forums that details an O-1 pay scale. You can also google it.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
SailingSkyHawk, I know they were giving you crap about using the search engine (actually, I agree with them), but I was looking for exactly the answers to the questions you asked, and so I didn't have to search for each one individually. Thanks buddy!

Here's a quick question -- I've seen different guys on here with a wide range of GPAs. I know BDCP has a 2.7 min, but I'm confused about OCS in general? Obviously the recruiters say 3.0 is the minimum to be competitive, but with a 2.7 in Aerospace Engineering, can't one make up for it by smoking the ASTB and the PFT?

--edit--

Yeah, yeah, I did some more searching. It looks like the answer to my question is yes, you can offset your GPA by doing well elsewhere. Several people have also said that the Navy has no minimum...? So why the hell was the recruiter giving me so much crap last time I talked to him? Grrr...

That's obvious - I think what they're trying to caution you of is comparing Skyhawks to Turbo Mentors, Texan IIs, or, god forbid, the Tweet.

But really, its: don't make the mistake of comparing civil aviation to Naval Aviation - they don't mix too terribly well. The important thing to remember is to hold on to the fundamentals of SA, talk & fly at the same time, etc. - and be ready to flush anything that doesn't mesh. Nothing will make things difficult faster than a "that's not the way I learned it" attitude.

Yea thanks for the advice. Frankly, I thought saying something like that would be a fabulous way to both: 1. Never get to fly in the Navy and 2. Get beaten - hard.

SailingSkyHawk, I know they were giving you crap about using the search engine (actually, I agree with them), but I was looking for exactly the answers to the questions you asked, and so I didn't have to search for each one individually. Thanks buddy!

There are only two kinds of people, useful people and I can't remember the other group but they're not important. I figured there'd be at least a few helpful ones so there's never harm in asking.

manmade

Issue 1: You can get PRK.
Issue 2: Your height won't be a problem, cheating will be a problem.
Issue 3: You HAVE to be a naval officer first. So talk to an officer recruiter and submit an Officer Package and apply for Student Naval Aviator and/or Student Naval Flight Officer. If you get selected, you'll have to goto OCS first before they send you to Flight school.
Issue 4: You have to be commissioned as an Officer before age 26, so get the ball rolling.

Issue 5: use the search function.

i agree:)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There are only two kinds of people, useful people and I can't remember the other group but they're not important. I figured there'd be at least a few helpful ones so there's never harm in asking.

There is never any harm, just the possiblity of looking like an ass.