• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Path to becomming a Navy Pilot

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I never liked the postage stamp analogy. When you get up close to the boat, it's not exactly that small. Matter of fact, it's pretty fucking big in close to at the ramp.

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
I never liked the postage stamp analogy. When you get up close to the boat, it's not exactly that small. Matter of fact, it's pretty fucking big in close to at the ramp.

then it must not be THAT hard. jk sir! :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
EDIT:^^^wow, you guys are fast

The answers to most of your questions can be found using the Forum's search function, but I'll hit the high points.

Yes, the Navy does allow thier pilots/pilot applicants to have corrective eye surgery. Right now PRK is the only one that is waiverable. I had it done last Spring and went from 20/200 to 20/15. You will need to have it done before you apply for pilot (NFOs can wear corrective lenses).

When you apply for OCS you select three designators that you're interested in (you don't have to list three...if you only want pilot then you only list pilot). After OCS you go to flight training. You can't really work at another job while you save money for the eye surgery like you said.

Search around the site and you will find a lot more info. If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask!

Not true. You only need to have it done and ready to apply for a waiver before you go to MEPS. So you can, for example, send off the app in march, get PRK in April, get pro-rec in May, go to MEPS in July, send off findocs in July, and get Final select.

There was actually an AW member on here (Nugget81?) who got PRK after going to MEPS and finding his vision sucked or something like that, and get PRK in between pro rec and final select.

Bottom line, get the ball rolling and start the application process NOW. It takes a LONG time before you're ready to mail it off.

Just curious but is a 3.1 your idea of pretty well? Where would you rate "pretty damn good pilot" if you had to use that same scale?

Hell no. My GPA is deceptive I was a stupid kid freshman year and almost failed out, then I grew up and worked for it the rest of college.

I'm a pretty good pilot because I worked hard and had a ruthless instructor who trained me well. I'm safe, confident and I have fast and reliable judgment under pressure. On top of that I'm just comfortable in my element, flying is home for me. It's like sailing... I don't have to sweat the small stuff because it's intuitive... don't really know how to say it.

FastMover

NFO
None
Bottom line, get the ball rolling and start the application process NOW. It takes a LONG time before you're ready to mail it off.

No kidding. I thought that I would be able to have my application submitted back around October and just ended up completing everything last week. Hopefully it'll go before the January board.

As everyone else has said, contact an officer recruiter and get scheduled for the ASTB, the MEPS physical, start getting references/LORs, etc. It takes a while.

No kidding. I thought that I would be able to have my application submitted back around October and just ended up completing everything last week. Hopefully it'll go before the January board.

As everyone else has said, contact an officer recruiter and get scheduled for the ASTB, the MEPS physical, start getting references/LORs, etc. It takes a while.

Probably a better question for a recruitor but I'm also interested in your opinions for some diversity: what is an average timeframe for the whole OCS process? You all are talking about months, is it ever more than a year? I'm all about planning, I want to go into this prepared and coordinated.

FastMover

NFO
None
Probably a better question for a recruitor but I'm also interested in your opinions for some diversity: what is an average timeframe for the whole OCS process? You all are talking about months, is it ever more than a year? I'm all about planning, I want to go into this prepared and coordinated.

It varies depending on your situation. I still had about a year left at UF when I first started talking with my recruiter about applying. This gave me plenty of time to study for and take the ASTB, gather LORs, etc. You will need time for things like writing your motivational statement, getting in shape for / taking the PRT, getting scheduled for MEPS (I had to wait for about a month for my appointment), studying for and taking the ASTB, and so on.

If you are seriously interested then you should contact an Officer Recruiter ASAP. Keep in mind that the waiting doesn't end when you send in the application. Then you wait on the (hopeful) Pro-Rec, Final Select, etc. Good luck!

It varies depending on your situation. I still had about a year left at UF when I first started talking with my recruiter about applying. This gave me plenty of time to study for and take the ASTB, gather LORs, etc. You will need time for things like writing your motivational statement, getting in shape for / taking the PRT, getting scheduled for MEPS (I had to wait for about a month for my appointment), studying for and taking the ASTB, and so on.

If you are seriously interested then you should contact an Officer Recruiter ASAP. Keep in mind that the waiting doesn't end when you send in the application. Then you wait on the (hopeful) Pro-Rec, Final Select, etc. Good luck!

The only thing at this point holding back my application is that I don't have a solid date for the PRK surgery yet since I can't afford it. I was advised by a couple friends in the military that I should have that locked down before I get the ball rolling but either way count on a long wait.

If you dont mind explaining, what's the process like? You're talking about PRT, MEPS, ASTB and LOR which is all a foreign language to me, what is this stuff? And do I understand you correctly that you did all of this, during the wait period after you applied and before you went to OCS?

Or if you've got a link to somewhere explaining this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again

FastMover

NFO
None
ASTB - the test that the Navy and Marine Corps use to select cantidates for OCS. It includes math, reading comprehension, mechanical comp, spacial apperception, and aviation/nautical knowledge.

MEPS - the physical exam that takes the better part of a day. They do blood work, test your hearing, check your teeth, eyesight, and so on. Someone on here said they felt like a milked cow after they got finished there. I totally agree.

PRT - fitness test. Made up of sit-ups, push-ups, and 1.5 mile run

LOR - letter of recommendation.

All of these items go into your OCS application. Use the Search for more detailed explanations. Also, check with your insurance company about the PRK surgery. Mine paid for about $500 of my surgery.

ASTB - the test that the Navy and Marine Corps use to select cantidates for OCS. It includes math, reading comprehension, mechanical comp, spacial apperception, and aviation/nautical knowledge.

MEPS - the physical exam that takes the better part of a day. They do blood work, test your hearing, check your teeth, eyesight, and so on. Someone on here said they felt like a milked cow after they got finished there. I totally agree.

PRT - fitness test. Made up of sit-ups, push-ups, and 1.5 mile run

LOR - letter of recommendation.

All of these items go into your OCS application. Use the Search for more detailed explanations. Also, check with your insurance company about the PRK surgery. Mine paid for about $500 of my surgery.

Thanks again man, I appreciate the time.