• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pass/Fail Lesson On Density Altitude

FlyinRock

Bunk
I'm not going to argue the relative merits of IFS and I can understand your position. As long as I have the opportunity to be involved in IFS, I'll certainly do the best I can to show them the basics of flying. I'm sure you will agree that the very first 20 hours of flight instruction can be the most important, and certainly some of the longest lasting for new pilots. Over and over I've seen a student develop a bad habit in less than an hour that can take another 1000 hours to fix? Basic stick and rudder skills are the same and so are aerodynamics. I fully realize how limited I am by this program and wish I could take it much farther. Not to beat my drum, but I've flown with many military trained aviators doing checkouts for the kind of utility stuff I am fond of, and they frequently walk away saying "Holy Shit..." or something like that. different world, different mission, different rules. I have enormous respect for nearly all our military aviators (there are always the Dilberts), and a salute to all for their service. Have had PM's telling me how professional and serious you are and I have always appreciated that.
I guess this means we klissed and made up? <ggg>
Semper Fi
Rocky

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk
I'm not going to argue the relative merits of IFS and I can understand your position. As long as I have the opportunity to be involved in IFS, I'll certainly do the best I can to show them the basics of flying. I'm sure you will agree that the very first 20 hours of flight instruction can be the most important, and certainly some of the longest lasting for new pilots. Over and over I've seen a student develop a bad habit in less than an hour that can take another 1000 hours to fix? Basic stick and rudder skills are the same and so are aerodynamics. I fully realize how limited I am by this program and wish I could take it much farther. Not to beat my drum, but I've flown with many military trained aviators doing checkouts for the kind of utility stuff I am fond of, and they frequently walk away saying "Holy Shit..." or something like that. different world, different mission, different rules. I have enormous respect for nearly all our military aviators (there are always the Dilberts), and a salute to all for their service. Have had PM's telling me how professional and serious you are and I have always appreciated that.
I guess this means we klissed and made up? <ggg>
Semper Fi
Rocky

Like I said, if you're proud of your work and get good feedback from studs, then all it's all good for you. You do what you have to do. But there's a reason IFS only goes so far, primary is coming up :)

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
The ribbing of course is well deserved. The bigger problem with IFS instruction is the lack of stan in the IFS program. As we all know IFS does not stand for go screw around in a 172 it stands for introductory flight SCREENING. Unfortunately some IFS schools act as a shit screen and hold their students to a higher standard while others would allow a blind and uncoordinated retard to get into primary and waste time. Its a good program for those with no flight time. I learned straight and level flight and see and avoid in IFS which are huge things that one needs to do well to get above mif in early Primary fams. Everything learned in IFS was reinforced in primary and I learned a shit ton more in primary. I know many on AW think you don't need prior flight time to succeed, but a ton of people who got their first choice when I was selecting did have prior time. IFS with a good instructor and good IFS school can help make that initial learning curve a little less of a jump. After all the visual landing sight picture in a 172 and a T-34 is virtually the same just at 20-30 knots faster.

Apologies for the threadjack of the last few posts feel free to break them off into a separate discussion. Fly Safe!