• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parental citizenship as disqualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll do the questionairre at the end of advanced most likely.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Thanks, Flash. I think it is interesting that you need to get a waiver for a Canadian family member. A friend of mine was accepted with one parent being Canadian and the other American. I'm not sure where they place my parents' country in the overall scheme of things. I was told that our ships have stopped there many times, so I am assuming it isn't considered bad.

I do respect the reasons for the strict rules regarding citizenship of family members. I just feel that I have invaluable services to offer the Navy and my country, and I want to do it somehow.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
My recruiter called and said that I wasn't eligible for a TS waiver. But he said that somebody recommended that I reapply for SWO and Supply in February. Hope I get something and I can make it to OCS sometime next Fall.

Thanks for the help everyone.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Familiar bell...I was also declined for Intel/Crypto becuase my parents are not US citizens, and they have to retain that as well in order to receive their retirement checks. I guess the old rule of economics apply: law of supply and demand, and right now there is a lot of demand to be in the Navy.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I experienced a situation along these lines. When enlisting in the reserves just over two years ago I had to submit an SF-86 form. A few months after I was sworn in I got a call from someone working for the DoD's security service... He wanted to setup an interview with me concerning various aspects of my background check.

I was born in Germany on an American military installation to American parents. I had also travelled in Europe three different times in the space of six years. Apparently these were big issues for them. A few weeks later the agent came and talked to me for over an hour. I had to produce all sorts of random documents and tell him all about my activities in Europe. It was absolutely crazy...

All said and done I got the initial Secret Clearance out of it. I just think it's funny that they weren't able to just punch in my social security number and find out anything they'd want to know about myself and my family.

Anyway, good luck figuring something out. Let us know what happens.

Legionnare

does this security clearance thing apply to any officer-to-be or would it be mostly for "secret communities", such as intel or research-stuff?

Anybody speaking on facts or "I heard that a friend had a friend that..." type of thing?

Thanks.

BTW, Gov. Arnold's situation (if true) is understandable since those bases are under strict federal control and arnold is limited to state control.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
From what my recruiter told me, the security clearance of this type is only necessary for Intel and Crypto. Other communities do not need it. But then again every situation is handled differently.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you get high enough in any specialty you will most likely have to get a TS SCI clearance, including aviaiton (it depends on the community when you would get it). Intel and Crypto are the only ones that I am aware of that require it to start with. Once you get in they are willing to give a few more exceptions but it sounds like you are SOL in today's officer recruiting climate. Keep asking though, persistance does sometimes pay off when it comes to applying. Have you thought of checking with other services to hear what they have to say?

sam3x35

i was wondering

hello every one

okay, here is the problem , i speak arabic , and i pretty damn sure that the navy or marines would like me to be in intell , but i want to fly so bad and lets say that i passed every thing with no problem, would they push me to take intel instead or they would simply treat me like a normal candidate.
i dotnt like intellegence, plus i am working in a terrorism institute and it sucks big time ,sitting on a desk for hours translating and reading(not my thing). altought i learnd alot of **** but i want to fly and only fly.
i also have bad vision , i am thinking of doing PRK operation before i enter , wats recomnded?

thank you guys
:)

sirenia said:
Thanks, Flash. I think it is interesting that you need to get a waiver for a Canadian family member. A friend of mine was accepted with one parent being Canadian and the other American. I'm not sure where they place my parents' country in the overall scheme of things. I was told that our ships have stopped there many times, so I am assuming it isn't considered bad.

I do respect the reasons for the strict rules regarding citizenship of family members. I just feel that I have invaluable services to offer the Navy and my country, and I want to do it somehow.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
I speak another language as well, and I was told that I was a hot commodity because of it, but no one went out of their way to get me to sign up for intel. If you qualify for an aviation slot, chances are you'll get it, but if arabic is on your application as one of your languages, then who knows when they'll decide that they need you.
But I believe that you have to agree to go to Intel before they'd ever send you there involuntarily.
Also, I asked about getting the extra $100 a month for speaking another language, and the Navy told me that the only way to receive it was to give up my aviation billet. So I said no way. Naturally.

sam3x35

interesting

mmmm interesting

are u a pilot yet or are u in training OCS
oh wat language u speak if you dont mind me asking, and also do u know any one who speakes arabic or has a middeleastern background by any chance.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
People, let's not threadjack here too much. PMs are good for personal information.

Nile--No one can force you to do something you don't want to do. The Navy won't "make" you become an intelligence officer. You have to want to be an Inteligence officer before they will even consider you. Having said that, you never know when your skills will come in handy while you are in the Navy.

sam3x35

hello every one

okay, here is the problem , i speak arabic , and i pretty damn sure that the navy or marines would like me to be in intell , but i want to fly so bad and lets say that i passed every thing with no problem, would they push me to take intel instead or they would simply treat me like a normal candidate.
i dotnt like intellegence, plus i am working in a terrorism institute and it sucks big time ,sitting on a desk for hours translating and reading(not my thing). altought i learnd alot of **** but i want to fly and only fly.
i also have bad vision , i am thinking of doing PRK operation before i enter , wats recomnded?

thank you guys

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It isn't supply and demand at work here. It is the security of our nation's secrets. I can't beleieve a recuiter even submitted someone without both parents being citizens. The citizenship requirements are well known. The various experiences mentioned here are also off the mark slightly. All Intel and Crypto officers will have a clearance beyond TS. That is what they are looking forward to. In the case of someone that is getting a TS waiver for parents or spouses, it also matters what country is in question. Canada is no big deal. Syria, China or Cuba is another thing all togather. The requirement for both parents to be citizens has put a strain on the intel services, military and civil, including the FBI. They have pusued middle eastern language speakers and many that have come forward can not get the clearances required. There is a waiver issued if it is an emergency in the "national interest", or some such thing. No applicant for OCS can expect to get that waiver. And if Intel or Crypto is what you want, don't bother with other services, the requirement is the same. Hopefully Supply or maybe SWO will work out down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.