• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parental citizenship as disqualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
One of my parents is a citizen of another country, but is a permanent resident of the US. The other is deceased. The one who is a non-US citizen only retains the citizenship of the other country so property owned by my family can be retained. I just learned earlier today that I was rejected for Intel and that the reason was because of parental citizenship. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know of a way around this? I was told that the board really liked my application otherwise. Any help would be much appreciated. It is disappointing to think that I can't serve as an officer in the Navy because of this. :(

Clux4

Banned
A cousin of mine put in an application for intel but on the Marine side and was denied for the same reason. He never really pursued it after that so I don't know if there is really a way around it.

SFgirl

Hmm. I have a good friend in the AF who has one parent that is not a citizen of the US, nor even a permanent resident. He was commissioned (I pinned on his bars, actually) this past May and he has a TS clearance... maybe there is another community in the Navy you could apply to?

Clux4

Banned
You can get a TS clearance but there are materials you cannot view. For example the Gov. of California cannot enter some of the research/testing labs on Edwards AFB just for the fact that he was not born in the United States. It sounds like B.S but it is true.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Does TS apply to naturalized citizens? I was born in the US, so I wonder if that would make a difference. My recruiter told me that because of my qualifications, the board was looking to give whatever the highest level of security clearance allowed for new officers. I asked about other options within the Navy, but haven't heard back. He said Supply might be one route. But I have no business skills. I have extensive language and cultural training, which would be best suited for the Intel community. I was so looking forward to going to OCS sometime next year!

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Crypto was one of my choices. They said no for that as well. The third one was SWO, which of course is closed. But they said they would have given me SWO if a slot had been open. They asked me to reapply in a few months. I don't see slots opening up anytime soon though. But again, I am not sure if the citizenship will be a problem for that too.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Thanks, everyone. I will figure something out after talking to my recruiter.

Clux4--I have nothing against the USMC. I admire them, but my heart is set on the Navy. It's something I have wanted to do since I was a child.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Sirenia,
What a drag. I feel your pain though, they gave me trouble because one parent lives overseas (US citizen), and one re-married a foreign citizen (US permanent resident). Can't really answer your question, but thought I'd sympathize.

Good Luck!

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Well, just heard back from my recruiter. He is going to look into the TS waiver, but he doesn't know what that is at the moment. He said either SWO or Supply were my only two choices as far as security clearances are concerned. But since SWO is closed, Supply is really the only option.
He said that I can qualify for Surface Warfare if I go as Supply. Does anyone have experience with that?
Does anyone have any tips for reapplying? My recruiter said that I need to simply write a letter for reconsideration.

Any thoughts or suggestions on all of this would be greatly appreciated.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My experience is a bit different, my fiancee is Canadian, but I have a little experience with this. I have known at least one officer with a TS clearance whose parent was a foreign citizen, though they gave him a lot of grief.

What you may have to do is get an exception to your clearance, which I am trying to do right now. This is common for guys who marry foreigners while in the military, but I am not sure about parents. It is a bit easier to get that done when you are already in, which unfortunately does not help you, but it is done with regularly. It is easier if the wife/relative is from a friendly country with close ties to the US, harder if they are from a bad country. I did know a guy married to a girl from Serbia though, and he had TS.

Basically, I would not think it is a disqualifier but you might have to do some special things to get a clearance that the recuiter might not know about and are a bit of a pain in the rear for everyone involved.

BTW, the reason for this is rooted in history. There are several instances of people of giving up secrets due to familial ties to the "old country". Here is one of them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1409279.stm

Status
Not open for further replies.