• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PAO Interviews

Delilah

I am currently studying for the OAR and will be taking the test in early Feb. In the meanwhile, I am gathering as much information as possible in preparation to fill out all the paperwork required. I have a question about interviews. I read somewhere that I need one from a PAO in grade 0-5 or above, one from a PAO grade 0-4 and one from any officer grade 0-4 or above. My older brother is stationed at NAS JAX, but he does not have any personal contacts with a PAO. How should I go about finding a PAO that may be able to interview me?

exNavyOffRec

I am currently studying for the OAR and will be taking the test in early Feb. In the meanwhile, I am gathering as much information as possible in preparation to fill out all the paperwork required. I have a question about interviews. I read somewhere that I need one from a PAO in grade 0-5 or above, one from a PAO grade 0-4 and one from any officer grade 0-4 or above. My older brother is stationed at NAS JAX, but he does not have any personal contacts with a PAO. How should I go about finding a PAO that may be able to interview me?

To be quite honest since you are not AD and non prior you have a slim to none chance of being picked up PAO and slim has one foot out the door, this year is the first in several they opened it up to non AD and I believe all picked had prior military experience, before when it was open to non AD we know of only 1 who was accepted and that person had done EXTENSIVE volunteer work on a Navy base with the PAO department, one we had turned down was an actual reporter with on air experience and had filled in on the weekends behind the desk.

This is how bad it is, I processed an application for a young man who's dad was a Captain, he wanted to go PAO, he called his friend (a PAO CDR) back in DC, his friend said "your son has no chance if he isn't prior", this is a guy that would sit the boards.

If your goal is to be a USN officer pick something that will give you a good shot at being picked up.

Beefalo

NavyOffRec makes a good point but if you really want it, no harm in applying for it. Believe you can list up to 3 designators on your application.

Where are you located? My suggestion would be to look up a local command's public website. Usually they have an email link for the command's PAO. Smaller commands assign PAO duties as a collateral duty but they probably have contact with actual PAO's.

When I thought about applying for PAO I contacted my command's PAO who was a Naval Flight Officer. He put me in contact with actual PAO's in the area.

Or go SWO and lateral transfer to PAO. Wait dont do that....

BackOrdered

Contributor
NavyOffRec makes a good point but if you really want it, no harm in applying for it. Believe you can list up to 3 designators on your application.

Where are you located? My suggestion would be to look up a local command's public website. Usually they have an email link for the command's PAO. Smaller commands assign PAO duties as a collateral duty but they probably have contact with actual PAO's.

When I thought about applying for PAO I contacted my command's PAO who was a Naval Flight Officer. He put me in contact with actual PAO's in the area.

Or go SWO and lateral transfer to PAO. Wait dont do that....

No. Listen to NavyOffRec (the guy with actual experience with this). It isn't a question up for debate. PAO is horridly difficult to get into.

To give another example. NavyOffRec is right about the one non-AD era, and take a look at who they picked during 2012.

http://news.yahoo.com/bidens-son-joins-navy-171448745.html

DIVO

Even SWO is hard to get these days. Your recruiter should help getting you set up with interviews. If they are not helpful, it's because they feel like it might be a waste of time -- just make sure your kit is as competitve as possible for jobs that are actually selecting. And if your heart is only set on PAO - look at the Enlisted MC rating. Most PAO's I know came from that rating.

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
Even SWO is hard to get these days. Your recruiter should help getting you set up with interviews. If they are not helpful, it's because they feel like it might be a waste of time -- just make sure your kit is as competitve as possible for jobs that are actually selecting. And if your heart is only set on PAO - look at the Enlisted MC rating. Most PAO's I know came from that rating.

+1
That would be my advice. Your recruiter should be the one helping you set up PAO interviews... if that's what you really want. But make sure it's what you really want because realistically the Fleet only accepts 1 or 2 PAO packages (PER YEAR).

V/r,

Sundown88

Delilah

Thanks for the replies. As I understand, you can list 3 designations on your application. Does anyone know whether the boards see how you rank them? In other words, if I put PAO as my first choice, then Supply as my second and Intel as my third, will the Supply board be able to see they were my second choice? I know PAO is a far reach, but I'd like to show interest... perhaps make a lateral move later on?

Beefalo

Despite some people's opinions I would still encourage you to apply if its something you truly want. Trends and numbers are ever changing and no one can predict the future. Have good fallback plans since the chances for non-prior enlisted are slim like others have suggested. As prior-enlisted I have seen that enlisted MC have good quality of life compared to others. Lateral transfer is another option to think about.

When I was enlisted I had several people tell me I had "slim to none" chance with my officer package and I was accepted on my first application.

exNavyOffRec

I just looked at your profile and I see the issue, you are age limited as to what you can apply for due to your degree, PAO and IDC are your options so I guess you throw the application against the wall and see if it sticks.

paradise drummer

I'm posting a reply mostly as an FYI to future searchers. There is not a lot of action on this subject publicly posted on this site.

I applied to the PAO community in FY 2014 with two slots open and was not accepted. I have about three years of professional public relations experience in NYC and good grades from a university where I earned an industry-reputable communications degree. My interviews were arranged through my OR, who was phenomenal. One was with an active duty PAO, the other, with a reservist. Both went well, near as I could tell - though I caught the hint that a civilian interviewee was a rarity.

I made the decision to only apply for PAO, primarily because I wanted to aim my references and personal statement directly at that goal. It should be noted that that was not the advice of my OR (who knew PAO was a terrific long-shot), but a decision I made. I've no idea if it worked for or against me. Maybe it just came off as arrogant - I don't know. I'd have been an average SWO, in my mind, but I believed I had something to offer as a PAO.

One of the several officers I interviewed with told me after my non-selection that making PAO from civilian is, bar-none, the toughest direct accession in the Navy. There are only a few slots a year, and only one board. Almost inevitably, there will be deserving prior-enlisted going for those slots - or other similar applicants.

It does happen; rarely. Take the Blue Angel's current PAO, LTJG Amber Lynn Daniel, for example [the following is extracted from her public bio on the Blue Angels' site, and so I feel fine in sharing here]. She graduated college in 2004 (when I was a Junior in HS). She started at a TV station, and then worked extensively for AFN (American Forces Network) and did freelance journalism. She didn't complete OCS until 2011 (when I was an intern at my current company), when she had been in her field for 7-8 years.

With candidates like that, who have huge amounts of immediately accessible and related experience, applicants similar to me are necessarily out of the running. I admit, I thought I stood something of a chance. Pulled myself up by my bootstraps (with my spouse's help) and made it in NYC, the media capitol of the world. But PAO is a lean community, and so it is necessarily selective.

Frankly, I'm just happy the community is open to civilians and that I had the experience of applying (it was closed for a long time is my understanding). From the outside-looking-in, the Navy sorely needs solid communicators of all types as fiscal and political pressures tighten. I wish them the best.

Heck...perhaps I'll apply again (probably with a few other communities tacked on this time...)

exNavyOffRec

Amber was actually the last civilian picked for PAO in recent history, we talked about her and her qualifications with NRC so I have some inside knowledge, there is more to her background than what is published, what isn't seen is she was the spouse of an AD member and was deeply involved in planning command activities so she has more insight than the normal civilian, they even said she was a very rare case with her background in journalism and her involvement with her husbands commands.

I am also familiar with this years selections, so far all I have heard is they were AD.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Keep your options open for applying (Pilot, NFO, SWO, etc.). Many PAOs previously served in the Aviation or Surface Warfare communities before lateral transferring to PAO. While it's great to be a PAO, it still great to be serving as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy.

exNavyOffRec

Keep your options open for applying (Pilot, NFO, SWO, etc.). Many PAOs previously served in the Aviation or Surface Warfare communities before lateral transferring to PAO. While it's great to be a PAO, it still great to be serving as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy.

very good point, most of the PAO's I served with (that were officers) were former SWO's, NFO's, or Pilots.