• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P3 Orion lifestyle

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thank you very much. The "exposure time" is what I was not sure about. The longer time in the host nation is what interests me as I really want to travel and see the world in addition to performing the mission. Also, you get to go to more than one det site on a single deployment if I am not mistaken? (again, probably depends on where you are deploying to)

It depends. If you're squadron operates under a detachment concept then you may get short deployments to a single location while the main part of the squadron is at its home station. If your squadron packs up and deploys for 6 months then you'll likely see more than one location (depending on crew qualifications and mission assignments).

I personally went to 11 det sites (some twice and some for long periods of time vs week long stints) during my first tour for a total of 15 months overseas. During that time my squadron sent crews and planes to 28 different locations.

Not all squadrons are created equally. Some squadrons have crews and aircraft with specific mission abilities which limit them to a more restrictive list of locations. Additionally, we haven't seen how the addition of the P-8 will limit the community presence at det sites (different runway weight requirements etc), or expand it (new aircraft- reliable, sends the message to our allies that we not only care about them, but are willing to employ the new hotness to help them out when we need to).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
You mean there are other P-3 deployment sites than Bahrain and Qatar?!

Yeah, I think Zippy must be an old guy remembering how it was. I can't even name 28 places for P-3s to det out of today. It's more like. . .maybe. . .8 regular ones and a half dozen other ones where you could go for like a week or so for an exercise. If we had money for exercises, that is.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I think Zippy must be an old guy remembering how it was. I can't even name 28 places for P-3s to det out of today. It's more like. . .maybe. . .8 regular ones and a half dozen other ones where you could go for like a week or so for an exercise. If we had money for exercises, that is.

Fleet tour ended in 10... 2 deployments and a surge. One tri-site deployment and one split site. One of the ONLY perks to being a member of a legacy Jax squadron... Not maintaining a certain program Qual because they didn't want to invest in your capes too much because the P-8 transition was in their long term plans for you.