• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 Selection

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When has the boat ever needed a reason to have a crunch?
Never been a CVN OOD underway have you? Every crunch had to be reported to the bridge and the blame was always pointed away from the yellowshirts/Handler. Normally they told us (the bridge) it was our fault for allowing the ship to roll (when it wasn't). Kind of like the CAG's waveoff was always due to winds out of limits.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Never been a CVN OOD underway have you? Every crunch had to be reported to the bridge and the blame was always pointed away from the yellowshirts/Handler. Normally they told us (the bridge) it was our fault for allowing the ship to roll (when it wasn't). Kind of like the CAG's waveoff was always due to winds out of limits.

My expirience is being the MO when I'm not allowed to move my own aircraft, but those who do move them are not responsible for repairing the damage they cause.

For example, we land on TR with 3 helos for FRS then TRACOM CQ.
There are a total of 4 airframes on the boat. My three helos and a stripped down hulk of an AV-8 that the yellow shirts practice towing.
Somehow with a completely open flight deck, the yellow shirts manage to crunch one helo against another and the AV-8 into of of the already crunched birds!

I don't care what excuse they came up with, when CQ got delayed a day the CO of the TR called me to the tower and would have broken out the flame thrower for the helos screwing up bis plan if I wasn't protected by the fact that his yellow shirts took out two of the three helos on board.

We had a one-way discussion about the importance of this at sea period and the need to get the helos repaired. Discretion was the better part of valor that day and I just said "aye aye".

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My expirience is being the MO when I'm not allowed to move my own aircraft, but those who do move them are not responsible for repairing the damage they cause.

For example, we land on TR with 3 helos for FRS then TRACOM CQ.
There are a total of 4 airframes on the boat. My three helos and a stripped down hulk of an AV-8 that the yellow shirts practice towing.
Somehow with a completely open flight deck, the yellow shirts manage to crunch one helo against another and the AV-8 into of of the already crunched birds!

I don't care what excuse they came up with, when CQ got delayed a day the CO of the TR called me to the tower and would have broken out the flame thrower for the helos screwing up bis plan if I wasn't protected by the fact that his yellow shirts took out two of the three helos on board.

We had a one-way discussion about the importance of this at sea period and the need to get the helos repaired. Discretion was the better part of valor that day and I just said "aye aye".

Yeah, but think of the bright side...someday you'll be a CAG and it will all be your responsibility....

I KEED I KEED!!! Too soon?:D

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
As much as I hate on that program for all it's problems and tactical ineptitude, it's a great truck. I don't know one guy (pilot or FO) who is willing to go back to P-3's after flying P-8's for even a short while.

The comment I keep hearing is, "You don't even realize how unsafe the P-3 is until you fly a P-8."
The P-3 made me a better pilot. I am glad to have flown it. But yeah, after flying and seeing TCAS for the first time, I don't know how we ever flew without it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The P-3 made me a better pilot. I am glad to have flown it. But yeah, after flying and seeing TCAS
...or radios you can understand...
...or navaids that work...
...or a GPS that's certified for use...
...or engines that fail at a rate an order of magnitude less than our props...
for the first time, I don't know how we ever flew without it.

FIFY

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
The Navy dream sheet out of Corpus (for VT-35, anyway) is currently:

VP P-3
VP P-8
VQ EP-3

Going to Jax whether you pick P-3 or P-8. A recent class was a P-3 draft, but our class, which selected this week, had 3 P-8 slots per squadron, it's all about timing. We're all classing up in about a month and a half, and doing SERE beforehand.