• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3/P-8s officially out of Hawaii?

mdubs

pilot
Saw this article today, but hadn't heard any official word. Anyone know of the timeline and how they plan on phasing out of K-Bay to Whidbey?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
What article?

And yes the plan is to move to KNUW and use HI as a home cycle Det site...

Several years away... P-8 is "On budget, On time" in theory, but the transition schedule is being adjusted to make it more realistic.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
HA! We saw those clowns shooting that story while we were preflighting...

And the noise issue is entirely misleading... The P-8 is significantly more quiet than the P-3 for all evolutions apart from takeoff.

Also nice interview by CommodoreMID.

Squadron home station changes are still up in the air. Jax may get another squadron, maybe not.

mdubs

pilot
Just curious for putting down DH preferences for next years board. I'd love to go to Hawaii, but I don't want to have to Move in the middle of the tour like the Brunswick guys did.

mdubs

pilot
Is there still going to be a DH board?

You know something I don't? The only made about 35 P-3 pilots as far as the O-4 board goes(50%). I think they have 25 Pilot DH slots to fill based off of this years slate. I'm guessing they'll have to have to have a board to cut some of them (hopefully not me)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Doesn't mesh well with the whole "Pacific Pivot" mantra…moving to Guam would seem to make more sense, but that's just me.
One of the benefits of MPRA is the ability to rapidly rebase aircraft and aircrew. Guam doesn't actually buy you much for shore based aircraft with long legs as a permanent location. Ships and subs with long transit times to theater are a better fit for FDNF.

Too bad P3/P8 didn't get Moffet or Pt Mugu as a west coast option.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can only assume it has to do with cost of new vs. existing support infrastructure…hangars, AIMD "stuff", etc. "Send 'em where they're already based."
Hardly a revolutionary concept there, AIRPAC adopted that in the late '50s, and implemented in '61 when NAS Lemoore opened. All CNAP Fighter Squadrons from Alameda & Moffett; to Miramar, & Light Attack from Alameda & Moffett; to Lemoore. Left coast VPs all mustered at Moffett, same time frame. Made sense then support wise, still does!:)
BzB