• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Our Surface Combatants

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Aviators discussing SWO stuff. This is a joke, right?

Not sure I understand what you're asking.

As in... a DDG has 96 cells in its VLS... but it doesn't go out with 96 missiles loaded up. The one SWO I know here just got back from the gulf and their DDG only had about 40 missiles loaded onto it. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As in... a DDG has 96 cells in its VLS... but it doesn't go out with 96 missiles loaded up. The one SWO I know here just got back from the gulf and their DDG only had about 40 missiles loaded onto it. Doesn't make any sense to me.
Gotcha. See, when you say "magazines" I automatically think 5", small arms ammo, stuff like that. Much of what a ship carries onboard for deployment is driven by SURFOR. There are established inventory levels based on expected missions, expected AO, NCEA, current navy wide inventory, etc. A lot of factors go into what a ship takes with them. What one ship takes with them does not mean that another ship of the same type will take the same thing. It may not make sense, but I guarantee you requirements were well thought out and analyzed over and over again. And if a CO doesn't think he's taking what he needs, he can request more. Doesn't mean he'll get it, but he can request it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Further proof that the 60B is the FFG's weapon system..

Both the tail and the processors are very capable (for 1982), so I'm not saying it's just the helo that's got the sauce. But someone has to know how to use said processors.

BigRed389

None
Well, the tico doesn't have the requirement of SPY for surface engagements w/ the guns where the burke does, but that doesn't really matter for aaw. It has two guns instead of one. If you have specific questions about a tico i can answer em for ya.

Huh? Can you explain what you mean?

DDGs prefer not to use SPY for surface engagements...SPY is terrible in surface mode.