• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Our Surface Combatants

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
There isn't a whole lot of easy-access literature on this subject, but how are these things employed in the context of the air wing?

FFGs focus on subs (as they've been pretty much gutted of any offensive or AAW capabilities)?

I can't tell the difference between Ticonderogas and Arleigh Burkes as far as mission and capabilities.

MasterBates

Differences that pilots will care about:

Negatives:
DDG has long deck with a 2-3degree forward tilt. Can make RAST straightnening "sporty" in addition to the deck being very low to the water.

Landing on said "angled deck".

Positves:
A/C works wicked pissa.
Satellite TV
SHF Internet
Water hours? What are those? RO Kicks ass.

Nose

pilot
FFGs focus on subs (as they've been pretty much gutted of any offensive or AAW capabilities)?

I can't tell the difference between Ticonderogas and Arleigh Burkes as far as mission and capabilities.

What are FFGs? What is a Ticonderoga? What are Arleigh Burkes?

Nose (Naval Aviator)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, the tico doesn't have the requirement of SPY for surface engagements w/ the guns where the burke does, but that doesn't really matter for aaw. It has two guns instead of one. If you have specific questions about a tico i can answer em for ya.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
There is more space for the necessary items like glof clubs and bikes on a cruiser :)

MasterBates

I liked the berthing on the DDG better. I hated living beneath the right RSD and 1 compartment forward of the RAST machinery room on the CG.

Did make LSO much better, since I was going to be awake anyways, might as well be productive.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....What is a Ticonderoga? .....

Oooo --- Ooooo --- Ooooo !!! I KNOW THAT ONE !!! :eek:

It's the first CVA I ever landed on ... and provided my first touch & go pattern during my first turn in the barrel @ the night-BOAT ..... in fact, the name means "between the waters" .... :eek:

ticonderogaeo5.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I liked the berthing on the DDG better. I hated living beneath the right RSD and 1 compartment forward of the RAST machinery room on the CG.

Did make LSO much better, since I was going to be awake anyways, might as well be productive.

Just wait until you get to your lovely accomodations on the O3 level. You ain't heard nothin' yet. :eek:

Brett

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just wait until you get to your lovely accomodations on the O3 level. You ain't heard nothin' yet. :eek:

Brett

Ah yes, Brett nailed it. Whether you're aft and next to the arresting gear engine rooms or forward and underneath the cats... it's freakin' loud! I didn't mind the late night flying (when I was stuck on the boat) but didn't appreciate the early morning dry shots.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Ah yes, no loads. Pure joy.

Wrt DDG vs. CG, DDG Co's were 0-5's, and CG guys were 0-6's. The CG assigned to the CVN was the golden-boy. The CG on independent ops was not, so the CO was usually less spun-up. Sometimes the staff would embark the CG, don't know how much on a DDG.
DDG's have more opportunities for independent ops. The preferred shotgun for the CVN is still the CG b/c of capabilities.
Yes, that matters.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
8-Man on JFK: in between the water brakes (or whatever the hell they're called) for the bow cats. Each launch from Cats 1 or 2 turned it into the Incredible Vibrating Stateroom

6-Man on IKE: under the LA, forward of the 4-wire.

Oh, well. What kind of Naval aviator sleeps during flight ops anyway?