• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orthopedics

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
So i got DQ'ed but was asked to go get a consult. Does anyone know anything about Osteochondritis Dessicans and the waiver? I have it in my elbow apparently from when i broke my elbow when i was young. They just want to make sure i have no history of it i think.
I had it when I first came in as an Officer. The waiver was never a big deal. They will look at the standard stuff; range of motion, pain, meds, etc. IF there is a loose body in your elbow, get the darn thing fixed. Eventually it led to me getting hardware installed; again, no big deal. ROM, pain, meds, etc.

Who DQ'd you? MEPS?

Champneys05

NavyOffRec: I dont know if they are saying i have it or seeing if it is just genetic (from what I have read it can be). I think i have something but not sure, but it resulted from when i broke my arm when i was 4. I had to get ortho surgery for loose body when i was 18. no problems in six years.

Feddoc: MEPS DQ'ed me and then the SG (the SG is having me go get a new consult). But they had old records from when i had it done and nothing recent; newest from 2006.. I am going today to get a consult. They gave me a list on what needs to be done: "
A current consultation from a board certified orthopedic physician for
history of Osteochondritis Dessicans, Stage IV with possible loose bodies.
As a minimum, the consult should be LEGIBLE, include the examinee's personal
and family history related to the condition. Past and current signs and
symptoms, treatment rendered and any current medications, and dates. Conduct
a thorough physical/clinical examination and establish a diagnosis and
prognosis. Consult must be signed by a physician and contain a valid
signature block with duty title."

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
In thinking back, I am not certain they even bothered with a waiver. Um, but, that was a few years ago.

Champneys05

Feddoc,
Thanks for the reply as always. I called the Aero MEd people yesterday and they said I have to get a waiver for the Osteochondritis Dessecans too. Apparently the AETC flagged it. So i have to get two waivers for the same thing (Osteochondritis Dessecans ). I saw if you have it currently it is not a good thing, but I do not have it anymore and as far as the doctor was concerened he doesn't see a problem either. I cannot wait for the dust to settle!!!

Champneys05

ALSO, FEDDOC. DID YOU HAVE IT CURRENTLY HAVE IT OR DID YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF IT WHEN YOU WENT IN? ARE YOU STILL IN THE NAVY?

Champneys05

I have heard very mixed reviews about having a history of osteochondritis with loose body. In the AF medical standards, only if it is current do you need a waiver...