• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orthopedics

Champneys05

Hello all.
I am actually a recent Air Force select for navigator (I know this sight is Navy/Marine, but i was applying to the Navy too and found this site). I recently sent my pre-screen to MEPS (my old one over two years ago expired) and got PDQ'ed this time, but not last time (nothing has changed). I broke my elbow when I was four and was treated with cast and pinns which were in for a month and then I had orthoscopic surgery on my elbow when I was 18 to remove debris/ peice of chipped bone. I am almost 25 now. had to be sent to the SG and it has been about a month. the other day I got this email:

"The most recent med doc (dated 14 Dec 06) states for the applicant to return in 4 weeks. Did he return for this appt? If so, we need that office visit report and any other related med docs or if he didn't then need him to write a statement stating why he didn't return for the appt. If he didn't return, AETC/SG most likely will ask for an ortho eval. Just trying to save some time."
I have a tentative class date in April of 2012. This waiver is the only thing in my way as I have already passed the flight physical. I wrote the letter they asked for because I never went back to the four week post op exam, though i did go to the 10 day post op exam. I was doing great and felt I didn't need to go back for the four week one.

I know it is only a waiting game, but does anyone else have any opinion on this matter? I've never heard of someone being DQ'ed for a broken elbow. They will most likely, even though I had an Othopedic eval on my last MEPS visit (I guess they cannot find them), make me go to another ortho evaluation to wherever they want to send me. Thanks for all your help in advance guys and gals!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think it is a waiting game and not much more than that. DQ for a broken elbow...I suppose it *could* happen, but, it highly unlikely, even with retained hardware. The ortho eval won't be a big deal...range of motion, strength and pain levels will be determined, then you grap a sucker out of the jar on your way out. Not a big deal.

Champneys05

Feddoc,
Thanks so much, it is nice to get re-assurance throughout the process...Its already been over a month. I will let you know how it goes!

Champneys05

Hey all and Merry Christmas!
So i went and spoke with my recruiter on friday and he was giving me an update on my waiver, though not much of one. He looked in his recruiting program on the computer and it said that my waiver got denied by a captain at the next level after the person who disqualifies it at MEPS. The next guy to deny it was a captain. It then said that it was on its way to AECT (I think thats the right acronym) and the SG. Is this standard practice for people to deny it until it gets to the actual SG?

exNavyOffRec

Hey all and Merry Christmas!
So i went and spoke with my recruiter on friday and he was giving me an update on my waiver, though not much of one. He looked in his recruiting program on the computer and it said that my waiver got denied by a captain at the next level after the person who disqualifies it at MEPS. The next guy to deny it was a captain. It then said that it was on its way to AECT (I think thats the right acronym) and the SG. Is this standard practice for people to deny it until it gets to the actual SG?
I feel for you, I have had 2 guys in the same situation, when I asked why MEPS DQ'd this time I was told they are being a bit more strict, or it could also be a different doc.

One of the two one was cleared by Navy Medicine, the other was not, when I asked why the one was not cleared I was told that we are less inclined to grant waivers.

The one that was cleared was an ortho issue with surgery.

Good luck.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
op said:
I was doing great and felt I didn't need to go back for the four week one.

You have chosen poorly. All who come across this post: READ AND HEED. Document, document, document.

Champneys05

My recruiter told me they deny it all the way up because they want to "cover their a**". There is nothing wrong with my elbow. Of the various people I have spoken with it hasn't been a problem. It has been two months and it is on its way to the AETC. I think just because it was denied by a MEPS doc and an O-3 doesn't mean a whole lot.

NAVYOFFREC: what was the ortho surgery your guy had? Did you run into any other problems? Like having to get a consultation done by an outside doc?

exNavyOffRec

It was shoulder, just a clean up if I remember correctly. They had a consult through MEPS.

I also had a person that had a broken bone with pins, they are still installed, cleared MEPS and N3M without a consult.

Champneys05

Does anyone on this forum have an experience with being denied on the lowest level but approved once it gets to the SG?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Can't say anything about the AF process....via USN it is not uncommon for MEPS to deny, but have NAMI accept.

Champneys05

Feddoc and REC I appreciate the input. I heard and you all told me it is VERY common for ortho surgeries to be approved. I guess they just need more documentation that what MEPS will exam you for and they want to have documentation for EVERYTHING!!

exNavyOffRec

Think of anything dealing with a doctor as a college paper, Intro - why did I see the doc, Body - what the doc did, conclusion - the result of the treatment.

Flags on med docs are "return if problems persist", "follow up in X weeks", anything that dosen't close out the issue.

Champneys05

Yup, I guess they dont like my follow up in four weeks. So I'm assuming i will have to get another consultation since they have no idea where my first one is!

Champneys05

So i got DQ'ed but was asked to go get a consult. Does anyone know anything about Osteochondritis Dessicans and the waiver? I have it in my elbow apparently from when i broke my elbow when i was young. They just want to make sure i have no history of it i think.