• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orion Obsession; giving it up for the mighty P-3C

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
A partially completed oil on canvass work in progress.....

30308510150776455935066.jpg

Pete's link

Sweet. I've actually been looking for a P-3 print. I have a bunch of prints from David Sample, but his stuff is mainly WWII or pointy noses. Check it out at www.windsweptwings.com

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
VP1.jpg

111126-N-KK192-051 NAVAL AIR FACILITY, Misawa (Nov. 26, 2011) One of the P-3C Orion aircraft from Patrol Squadron (VP) 1 arrives to begin a six month deployment in the region. VP-1 is home based in Whidbey Island, Wash., and is the first squadron to deploy to NAS Misawa since 2007. (U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Matthew Bradley/Released)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
VP-1 is home based in Whidbey Island, Wash., and is the first squadron to deploy to NAS Misawa since 2007.

For their sakes, I hope they have enough rooms at the Gateway for everyone. I'm pretty sure that staying in the old, mold-ridden Q's during Tomodachi is going to have lasting effects on my health.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
out of curiosity, what does a P-3 demo consist of?
Us sleeping in the rack and picking up our per diem check...

I honestly don't recall the exact sequence, one of my old chiefs used to be on the demo team and VP-30 before they stopped doing the demos at airshows and I guess now resurrected it. I think it was short field take off, low alt turn radius demo turning away from crowd and coming back to show center with bomb bays open and belly up to crowd, a pass shutting engine down prior to show center and restarting all, and then a short field landing. I could be completely jacked up in the sequence, but there really isn't much we can do, not like the aircraft is "high performance" :D

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I never thought I would say "cool" and "P-3" in the same sentence, but damn that was a cool P-3 demo.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
"In a 7000fpm climb, the crew is experiencing over twice the force of gravity" haha

Sorry, I had to laugh at that. It actually was pretty cool. Is it really the "fastest turbo prop aircraft"?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
In the US for production, yes, but not the wold record holder. That goes to the Tu-114. The Tu-95 is also considerably faster.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
The Tu-95 is also considerably faster.

Yeah, I remember hearing that on "Wings" back in the day. Anyone remember that show?

What a fucking maint. nightmare that thing must be with those counter-rotating props.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
VP-31 used to do a 2 engine pass. 1988 Moffett Field Air Show.

I was at that airshow as a kid! I bet my parents still have the VHS tape that the narrator mentions at the end of the video. It's a better demo than I had feared.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I love the double engine restart. Sadly, it's like watching a retired athlete in their prime that's now restricted to a wheel chair. Still, I'd love to see the new demo they have going.