• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders Requested - STA-21

Licarias

While we are on the subject of tuition and such, I have an idea I would like to throw out there. A mustang ensign showed up to my boat not to long ago and from talking with him I found out about quite a few grants, scholarships and such that we are pretty much shoo ins for as long as we apply. Unfortunately I didnt write them down at the time, but maybe between us we can come up with a list of em. The one I know for sure is the PELLA grant, and I know that you have to apply for that one on a yearly basis. If anyone knows of anymore please post them so we can all get in on it.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
FAFSFA covers everything from loans, grants, and some scholarships. It's not a matter of getting accepted just what you are eligible for. From everyone I have talked to we make slightly too much to get pell grants and that type of thing. Another problem I have found is that the majority of scholarships available out there are for high school seniors, leaving us old navy guys out in the cold. Personally I haven't filed for FAFSFA because we haven't completed out taxes yet.

That's what I'm waiting for to apply as well. I'm hoping that I will qualify for at least some of the scholarships that ODU offers, but you have to file a FAFSA for consideration...

I'm also interested in this list of scholarships that we Navy boys are "shoe-ins" for...

osumoja

STA-21 FY08 CORE
I don't know about scholarships, but as for loans and grants, when I was last at Oregon State, I was Air Force ROTC with a full scholarship from them and that pretty much prevented me from getting any kind of federal or state funded loans or grants.

ELT(SS)

I filled out a FAFSA using my last year's income, which is E-6 with Subpay and Nuke Pay and I was not able to get anything so probably none of us will.

erelislt

Finally, got my orders as well! Yesterday it was not on BUPERS, today it is there. So everyone should check! :) I know it is Saturday.

ELT(SS)

I know at NPTU Charleston everybody that got picked up nuke option has their orders except for 3 people (out of about 15-20) so they are coming through pretty quick. Hopefully this budget thing doesn't mess up our moves though. I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop, because this all seems too good to be true, so maybe that will be it. I guess I am a pessimist though, 7 years of Nuke Crap tends to do that though. But Nuke NO MORE:icon_tong
None of them are going to BOOST, so it looks like that doesn't matter as far as when the orders come in.

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
Speaking of tuition; does anyone know when the Navy pays for ours? I am hoping to schedule my courses before I go to NSI; so that I do not run into FULL courses and can take what I need to this summer.
This is probably going to vary depending on the school, but I can tell you how it worked for me at UW. Every student had an account through the university to which tuition charges were applied upon course registration. There was a deadline at the beginning of each quarter after classes started (something like the first or second week) at which time the balance was due in full. Each ROTC student had to submit his course registration info to the supply guy, and provided this was completed at the beginning of the quarter, the balance was always paid before the deadline.

I would check with your particular ROTC unit (whomever handles the supply issues) to see if registering now is a possibility. I'm actually shocked that you are even able to register ahead of time as a new student. UW assigns new arrivals the lowest priority for their first quarter, eliminating any chance of getting into the more popular courses. :thumbup_1

erelislt

Anyone can tell me how House Hunting Leave works? I've never taken it so do not know much about it. Does it count toward your leave? I am asking because I have very few days in books.

68 Chevelle

MM1 Nuke->FY08 STA-21 NFO Selectee
Anyone can tell me how House Hunting Leave works? I've never taken it so do not know much about it. Does it count toward your leave? I am asking because I have very few days in books.

It is No Cost TAD orders, it does not count against your leave balance. Even if you dont have many days, just go negative, its not like you are going to need to burn a bunch of leave at college! I plan on selling all my leave back, and then going negative on my transfer.

erelislt

It is No Cost TAD orders, it does not count against your leave balance. Even if you dont have many days, just go negative, its not like you are going to need to burn a bunch of leave at college! I plan on selling all my leave back, and then going negative on my transfer.

But If I took Housing Leave I wouldn't need to go to negative. I mean, do you really must prove you were "house hunting?" How long do they allow for house hunting? Thanks for your help.

LoneSailor

But If I took Housing Leave I wouldn't need to go to negative. I mean, do you really must prove you were "house hunting?" How long do they allow for house hunting? Thanks for your help.

Nope, this is something that you are entitled to. If you don't have enough days in the books and need to take HHL because you need to do a lot of "stuff" before you PCS then your command should not have a problem. I'm thinking about taking my HHL as well, but don't really know if it's worth it since I'm going to be given a lot of days off anyway :).

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
every day off is worth it. I am taking house hunting leave and 30 days transter time. To answer some of ere's house hunting question. There are actual TAD orders drawn up for you to take house hunting leave. They tell you, you have to have some military installation stamp it proving you were in the area. I did that when I went house hunting down in VA. When I got back to NY no one ever asked for the stamped TAD orders. From what I hear that is the norm.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Erelist, I know you got your orders on Saturday. Is this normal? Can I expect some will come out on Sunday? That would be a good feeling showing up to work tomorrow with orders in hand. The site is currently down right now.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I'm curious to know how long it will take from the time my orders are written until they are posted on BUPERS? I was told that my detailer is writing my orders tomorrow, but will I see them online tomorrow as well or will it take a few days for them to post?

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
The best answer I have for that is that the first set of orders was written on Thursday and they started showing up on Friday.