• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders Requested - STA-21

k_smittay

How does the HARP duty thing work? I might have to look into that, I remember RAP duty after bootcamp, that was cake. I'm all about maximizing my time off between commands.

The command I am at did it by the book, you have to do a special duty screening and route a chit. Once that is all approved, they fax the request to the recruiting district you want to go to and they will either approve or deny it. Approve most likely.

Some commands are cool though and will just cut you no-cost TAD and don't ask very many questions. My last command did that for me.. and I think I worked with the recruiters a total of 3-4 hours. The recruiters were all about hooking up time off.

68 Chevelle

MM1 Nuke->FY08 STA-21 NFO Selectee
I will be home prior to when I would be taking HARP orders if I chose to do that, so I will talk to the guys in the office and feel it out. I have plenty of leave on the books I can afford to burn it, however if they are flexible I may use it as time to give back and talk about all the good things the navy has done for me personally, the marine recruiter has a strong hold on my home town. I have not taken the LDO course yet, any ideas how to take care of that to be elligible for chief while at an NROTC unit?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
as far as HARP/RAP, The reason most recruiters let you roll out is because you end up being a bit of a burden. Some HARP/RAPpers have been very good with me to recruit. Most have not, they expect free leave. As a RINC, when ou came in my office I expected you to at least set up one appointment per day, (is someone you knew while you were in school to come in and talk about how the Navy can help them as well.)

Alright, off the soapbox... Does anyone know why some orders (who were done later with the med process) went out before mine? I thought they would keep it in order by completion date.

Finally, as everyone has already posted, I don't ever want to think about or talk about Tave, RCP frequency, or anything in the engine room for that matter.

EM1

F14Flier7

Hello

Hope everyone is having a good weekend leading up to Christmas. This is my first post on this website (took about a week or so to get approved to post). I have found this website to be a great resource!

Here is my STA-21 Physical/Placement Info:

Physical Status
Physical Information was received: 11/19/2007
Physical Status is : QUALIFIED
Date of Physical Status: 12/11/2007
Latest HIV test date is: 10/9/2007
Physical sent to NOMI: 12/3/2007
Physical sent to BUMED: 11/19/2007

Degree Plan Information

Assigned
(Check)

Host School
33 THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY

Cross Enroll
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY

Status
Valid/Accepted

Order Requests

Order Type
NSI AND NROTC ORDERS

Requested
12/20/2007

Date Time Group
(Blank)

I have been picked up for the SNA Pilot program and will be going to NSI in Feb. I look forward to meeting several of you in the near future. I am currently a 22 y/o AT2(AW/SW), on board the USS NASSAU (LHA-4), working in the AIMD Calibration Lab, and stationed in Norfolk.

This is my first PCS move, (I have been in 3.5 years so far) so I am not really clear on the orders and move "process" (the Required Reading has helped a bit about the money I will be entitled to during my move).

Has anyone heard from Mr. Straten about when the orders will actually be issued or how long it will take to go through BUPERS? My chain of command is rather strict and goes by the letter on every issue. I have been able to "win" the battle for house hunting leave from 28DEC to 7JAN.

Currently the NASSAU is doing workups for their upcoming deployment, and we have an underway RIGHT in the 30 day window of transferring. Several current STA-21 NROTC students have told me that they received orders the DAY that they needed to transfer...

Does anyone have any insight on how this might work; since I will most likely be out to sea (if I don't have actual orders on hand by that time)? I have attempted to be on the stay behind list, but until I have "official" word on my report date I can't request my 30 days transfer leave to stay behind.

I have not taken the LDO course yet, any ideas how to take care of that to be elligible for chief while at an NROTC unit?

We are exempt from the E-6 and E-7 courses as stated on the STA-21 website: https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/STA21_FY08_Letter_Enclosure.doc

As a STA-21 officer candidate, you will be eligible to participate in examinations for advancement in accordance with established procedures. Completion of the Navy Leadership Training Continuum Course (LTC), Personal Advancement Requirements (PARs) and performance tests for advancement are waived. In the event you are promoted based on a waiver of the LTC requirement, and disenroll from STA-21 prior to completing the Naval Science Leadership and Management I and II courses, orders will be requested to assign you to a one-week LTC course en route to your next duty station.

As far as my experience with the HARP/RAP duties was not a good one. I did RAP duty right out of C-school and I was working 10 hour days 5 days a week. It is really hit or miss with these programs. It typically depends on the recruiting station you are working out of. My friend out of C-School in New York called in around 8am each morning to check-in and that was his "work" for the day; and then there was my situation :icon_lol:.

I am just going to eat my 14 days of leave :icon_wink.

Well; I've wrote a lot on my first post (gotta love those Saturday duty days that you have nothing else better to do). I look forward to meeting you guys as time passes. Thank you and have a good Christmas :).

haubby

None
Contributor
F-14 guy...PCS moves can either go really smoothly or really crappy. First thing you do once orders are in hand is go to: https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/ and fill out the required information. If I remember correctly when I PCS'd from Bangor to Norfolk that was pretty much it. When you input your info you choose your packout date/storage needs/destination and all that good stuff and then you will get emails stating who the moving company is, your exact packout date and what not. Thats the really easy part. The hard part is dealing with Personal Property once all your stuff is moved and half of it is damaged.... I know this is pretty condensed but this will get you in the right direction.

k_smittay

Does anyone have any insight on how this might work; since I will most likely be out to sea (if I don't have actual orders on hand by that time)? I have attempted to be on the stay behind list, but until I have "official" word on my report date I can't request my 30 days transfer leave to stay behind.

I explained the orders situation to my command and they were a bit skeptical at first because not alot of people get picked up for the program so the commands experience tends to be limited. Once I got my "official navy letter" stating my acceptance, and program start date, I gave that to my coc and they seemed to be content with that and started making tenative plans based on those dates.

Also, I would expect the orders to be cut within the first couple weeks after the new year at the latest if your orders had already been requested. From there, personal property only needs about 24 hour notice to pack up all your stuff and get you moved if that is the case.

Just make sure you get your chief to start fighting for you so you don't get shafted and stuck out to sea on your report date. That is his job, make him do it.

MasterBates

PP needs a bit more than 24 hours unless you are doing a DITY.

I did a Partial DITY on 48 hours notice, and it took an act of god to get the movers to my old house for 1 couch 2 bookcases, and a table, with a couple other boxes of crap that were already packed.

And the ladies at PP would not help until I had orders in hand (duh), but were irate when bupers cut my orders on 28 JAN for a "depart in JAN" detach date.

haubby

None
Contributor
Damn, did them bastard mess up your beer bong and kick ass coffee table??

Alot of odds and ends actually. Dishes were broken, surround sound no longer worked including the computer, some furniture scratched and the frame to my bed never made it to Norfolk. Alot had to do with the way everything was boxed. I remember feeling a little uncomfortable with the way they were boxing everything up. I won't make that mistake again.

Dealing with PP was a pain in the ass but everything was eventually settled and my stuff was either repaired or replaced.

The coffee table hasnt made any moves with me yet. But that badass creation will be packed correctly and handled with care for sure.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Did anyone else getting something sent to them at work from the PNSC and STA? I am on leave and someone called to let me know mail had been sent to the ship? Just wondering if I should worry about it or not. With the timing I assume it is something letting me know what college they chose for me.

F14Flier7

Did anyone else getting something sent to them at work from the PNSC and STA? I am on leave and someone called to let me know mail had been sent to the ship? Just wondering if I should worry about it or not. With the timing I assume it is something letting me know what college they chose for me.

Have you received your "official Navy Letter"? I received my letter at work. Heck; have someone you trust open it :-P

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Official Navy Letter? I recieved something letting me know when I was leaving for boost and hand signed by a commander guy. Is that what you are talking about?

k_smittay

Official Navy Letter? I recieved something letting me know when I was leaving for boost and hand signed by a commander guy. Is that what you are talking about?

Well looks like you recieved a Navy letter from a "commander guy". There you go.

F14Flier7

Well; did the letter from the "commander guy" tell you the conditions for being selected? I am just going to NSI; so maybe you just get two letters because you are going to BOOST as well. Who knows; I've only received one "official navy letter."