• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OR limitiing options? advice appreciated, thanks!

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Hello there, sorry to bother anyone with these concerns but if anyone has some input it would be greatly appreciated. I initiated contact with an OR over a month ago as I am getting just under the two year mark with school. Having done as much reading and research I can and after having an OR come to the engineering department here on my campus, I contacted the OR and had a short polite conversation. Later on, I sat down roughed a few questions about becoming an officer and also began gathering up and making lists of things for a packet. Then I placed the call again to the OR and after another good conversation I of course said I want to become a Naval Officer. Ok so I'll try to wind it down quickly, i asked specific questions about the different ways I can join and the answer I got was this:
"With current budget cuts, the only way to become an officer is to join the BDCP program (specifically because there is no NROTC here and when I asked about direct ascension, which i do understand there are no slots for, was "not an option") in the nuke prop community."
That really was it. Just if you want nuke prop give me a call back.
Look when I was told that I did not respond negatively or even express any disappointment, after all I'm grateful for the guy's time. To show that I even inquired further about how to get started and what he would like me to do, what I need to take care of etc. The guy was very polite and seemed enthusiastic, even stating that he'd sign the papers today, but kept saying "just nuke prop" when I never hinted that I was even interested in anything else.
Ok so my question is this, even with no boards taking place, I want to put a packet in a year before I finish school. I was under the impression that this was possible. What I was told today was, "that is not possible" The guy obviously knows his job, but are other people putting in packets right now? (even if they are staying on a desk somewhere)

Bottom line: what are my options here? I have a bit of a dead end on my hands. Any ideas?

Synopsis:
1. want to put up OCS packet a year out from grad
2. told that is impossible
3. told that I can go to OCS if I join BDCP for nuke (am very grateful)
4. want to put up packet for other options than nuke and not interested in the physics or complex engineering of nuke field (chemical engineering major, so I know quantum mechanics isn't my thing already)
5. what can I do about this?

Thanks for your time, any response is greatly appreciated, but I totally understand not wanting to worry about another wanna be....

6yrs prior service Army SSG with 3 tours as a combat engineer, so either way, I made up my mind to become an officer a while back, and I can't wait to get away from the oversexed tweens at college so that I can get back to the military. I would like to be a naval officer when I do that however if I have to put back on the greens, I'm more than proud to do that as well. Good times

GreenLantern330

First off, thank you for your prior service to this nation.

So, you're a college sophomore, correct? Then you'll have to wait an entire year till you can put your package in. A lot can change in a year, and for your OR to tell you that you can't apply for OCS is weird, unless of course he's talking about how you can't apply right now, which you can't because you're not a year from graduation. If you're already a junior and a year from graduation, then disregard this as I misunderstood what you were saying. If I were you, I'd contact your local NRD and talk to your processor about the situation. And from what everyone's ORs are saying, you can still apply DA for nuke. Best of luck!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Sapper, if I understand correctly, you are a Junior in college, correct? Right now, as you may have surmised from reading the boards, the Navy is cutting back on OCS accessions, which means that BDCP is closed until some undetermined date and regular Direct Accession (no scholarship) slots are becoming hard to come by. Also, there are multiple guys slated to go to OCS this summer who have had their dates pushed back until sometime in the early fall. Going to OCS isn't impossible, but the best advice would be to probably wait until your Senior year or until the budget crisis gets figured out; whichever comes first. At this point, the most definite answer anyone can give you about your options or chances is that nobody knows.

I know that the answer sucks, but you're not alone, as there are a lot of us in the same boat playing the waiting game. Best of luck, and definitely stick around as there's a lot to learn here on AW.

EDIT: Dangit GreenLantern, you stole my thunder. :)

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I would say to start preparing for the ASTB right now. Tell your recruiter you'd like to set that up, and go from there. Regardless of what route you end up taking, you'll need to knock that out. If you wait a year (or two?) to apply DA and they finally open it back up, you'll be that much closer.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
NUPOC (or Nuke option BDCP as he calls it-different in that ie pays E6 while in school) can be applied to earlier than regular BDCP and has not been put on hold the way BDCP has. Based on what I read I think that what the recruiter probably means is that if the OP wants the OR to do something for him NOW, that NUPOC better be what the OP is applying for. Otherwise, wait until other options become available.

OP-Yes, BDCP's of all types attend OCS. It's required after graduation. HOWEVER if you sign NUPOC (nuke bdcp) you will not be switching designators (jobs) at graduation of OCS, you will be a nuke. period.

If you want another designator, explain that you want another designator and you won't be applying nuke. Then wait until you're into the window to apply for the other options and work on what you can in the mean time for your application.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fine point, it is nupoc. Not nuke prop. What you have read so far is pretty much right on. Nupoc is always a priority. If you have good grades in engineering they will push it. Sounds like the OR wasn't very articulate, but he is right. Today nuke is about it. He just doesn't want to put a package togather that will sit for a long while. Just take the astb and tell him you will be back when bdcp opens.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
ALCON-Wow, some sincerely great replies, so thank you very much I'll take it from the top best I can:

Greenlatern:
From one vet to another, you are welcome and same to you brother! I am right at the two year mark with school so, I'm beginning my junior year this fall. I had gathered that I could submit a packet a year out, so thanks for verifying. After I spoke with the OR I was doubting that. I was under a very firm impression that he said the only way in was nuc (pardon the foul up with "nuke") under BDCP. So check with NRD, roger, that isn't rude to the OR or jumping the chain of command is it?

All American:
ditto, I was in tune with the effect the cut backs are having on the service but the same as what you are thinking, it doesn't hurt to apply or be ready in case a manning shortfall happens. The army was terrible at getting that right, so bonuses would pop up and go away etc. I actually consider myself lucky, because it would be pretty upset if I was waiting to go to OCS and got pushed out as far as some of these other guys have. But the OR definitely made it sound as though any other option was not possible and when I specifically asked if I could submit an OCS package once I was a year from graduation he said "no". I took that litterally, but did I interpret that wrong?! That context is pretty dead on, as the questions were point blank.

Fattest Foot:
Thanks for the heads up, I'm all prepped for the ASTB actually. Just to add though it may not be too relevant because it is pretty easy, I took the AFAST and scored a 134. I did not actually mention that I was ready to take the ASTB to the OR because he steered me directly to the NUPOC program, so I stayed away from mentioning the avaition, so hopefully he would take me more seriously? I didn't want to sound like someone trying to fly jets on the military's dime, when acutally that isn't my end goal anyway. ABout having the packet all ready to go in a year was actually spot on with why I was starting contact now, I'm already getting the ball rolling with what will need to go in the packet and that is what I was trying to convey to the OR, so I'll keep going on that route. Right track?

EM1:
Solid plan of action and reassuring, so thank you. I copy about the difference in programs. Further, I got the impression that the OR was thinking I wanted him to do something now, but I have to be honest, I couldn't have been more clear about what my intentions were (except for telling him the designator I wanted) and how I wanted to open up the commo lines early so that I could apply a year out from graduation. That is the point when he said I had one option. I mean this guy is an LT and I know some sailors get put on recruiting duty for a long time. So is this particular officer inexperienced or just not willing to mess with something that he is not being pressured to recruit for? I understand that will be a subjective comment, but your experienced opinion? I also copy you on upon signing for the NUPOC contract I will NOT be able to re designate, which I figured was implied because of the contract, so thanks for making that solid too. I didn't want to point blank ask if I could redesignate after he told me how the program worked because I would have sounded like a loser. I will press and keep in contact with the OR anyway, keep piecing the packet the best I can with or without the OR's help the best way I can no matter which way it swings.

Wink:
That sounds like a fine plan of action as well, will do. I believe the same, he didn't articulate (or was very careful not too) too well, but was clear on that being the only option. Another affirmative, I think he knows that packet will sit, but he never said that, just specifically that it is not an option. Will knock out the ASTB and report on that, heck I'm humble but if I could get the guy to even look at some of my bullets, citations, or NCOERs, i feel like he would take me more seriously? Not for my ego or something but just to say "hey look, this is where I want to be, I at least belong in the military in some capacity, and maybe I have something to offer the Navy" Thanks again for the advice and for squaring me away with my acronyms.

WILCO ALL! and thanks for sharing your input, the OR kind of threw me a loop, even though I knew the answer was they aren't taking anyone, I wasn't prepared for the "just NUPOC" issue.

Cullen

Lucy

Something that might help.
OR's have been told to hold off on any new applicants until board/budget schedule gets worked out, and to only retain previous applicants that they feel strongly about. So it is most likely you got the response everyone trying to get in just now is getting. However, I understand you wanting to apply a year out, it is what I did, was a non-select and am now waiting for the next board. Even an early start seems to have not altered this process much.

Best bet is to get everything in order. Prep for getting your application to be finished at exactly 12 months out from when you graduate. Have LORs on standby for being dated, moto statement done, app filled out, all info for your security check, Meps form filled in case your NRD sends you out before applying, and any other forms you need being a prior service. I have blank copies of most of this, and/or links, and will glad to send them your way if you wish.

Best of luck!
Lucy

GreenLantern330

ALCON-Wow, some sincerely great replies, so thank you very much I'll take it from the top best I can:

Greenlatern:
From one vet to another, you are welcome and same to you brother! I am right at the two year mark with school so, I'm beginning my junior year this fall. I had gathered that I could submit a packet a year out, so thanks for verifying. After I spoke with the OR I was doubting that. I was under a very firm impression that he said the only way in was nuc (pardon the foul up with "nuke") under BDCP. So check with NRD, roger, that isn't rude to the OR or jumping the chain of command is it?

I'm sorry if I led you on to say haha but I'm not a prior service vet, I'm just a civvy hoping to get into OCS. To add to that, I'm currently finishing up my junior year, so because of that (and a waiting for a waiver, but that's a different story) I haven't been able to apply yet. Technically at the end of this month I can apply since I graduate April 2012, if that helps you with the timeline. As far as the being rude to your OR and jumping the CoC, I don't think so. Some ORs can be hard to work with or not very helpful and going straight to your processor or NRD might be more helpful. At the end of the day, I believe it is your processor that will be forwarding your package to the boards (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That said, if your OR won't work with you no matter how qualified you are, despite the whole budget fiasco, then I would definitely contact your processor at your NRD for some help.

GreenLantern330

Something that might help.
OR's have been told to hold off on any new applicants until board/budget schedule gets worked out, and to only retain previous applicants that they feel strongly about. So it is most likely you got the response everyone trying to get in just now is getting. However, I understand you wanting to apply a year out, it is what I did, was a non-select and am now waiting for the next board. Even an early start seems to have not altered this process much.

Best bet is to get everything in order. Prep for getting your application to be finished at exactly 12 months out from when you graduate. Have LORs on standby for being dated, moto statement done, app filled out, all info for your security check, Meps form filled in case your NRD sends you out before applying, and any other forms you need being a prior service. I have blank copies of most of this, and/or links, and will glad to send them your way if you wish.

Best of luck!
Lucy

Not to threadjack, but I've seen my OR a few times over the past year, because I've had to wait a year for a waiver, I haven't really gotten far in the application process. I'm supposed to have all my medical forms ready to apply for said waiver in June. Do you think my OR is going to say the same to me since I haven't really worked much with him yet or do you think since he already has some stuff on file for me that he would be willing to complete my packet?

Lucy

GL-I think it will depend on your OR. Since you have been working him, although not much, he should at least be frank with you about 1) keeping you in mind but you needing to check in periodically, 2) not willing to move forward at this point with your app, or 3) will actually stay in contact. This can also change as soon as the board schedule/budget news happens so either way I would check in every so often. I know I have the backing of pretty much all the people in my Officer recruiting officer (first name basis level) so for me the only concern is if the boards are far enough off that those people change. I would say just make sure to keep improving in all areas and update your OR, the inititive should help.

OP- As GL said, your competiveness is key at this moment. Look through the selects from last years boards and if you are to par with them (GPA, activities, leadership, etc) than push forward. However, I might back off a bit for the next 6 months or so since you have a 12 month wait anyhow. Give call at that point to reiterate your interest, and again 3 months out. As other sugested, if you can get to take the ASTB and rock it, you will be much more likely to get help from your OR. But if all you get is a wall, take step back, continue to excel, make connections on here/other sites, and push forward once closer to graduation.

GreenLantern330

Ok, thanks. I haven't really been keeping in touch with him. Last time I saw him after I took the ASTB he told me there was pretty much nothing else I could do for then and to come back as soon as I had my medical documents for the waiver. Since I still have a couple months left, I guess I'll shoot him an email to see where things are. Thanks for the input, Lucy.

Lucy

Glad to GL. Wish I could get my Meps out of the way, but NRD doesn't do them before selection. I have a possible inhaler use issue (although shouldn't be too bad) so I would like to be on the safe and quicker version of getting it done, but at least I have my paperwork for when the time comes.

Good luck with the check in.