• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Optimum PRT Speed

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I just did some calculations and I found that the best PRT score-to-effort ratio is obtained at 10 mph. This assumes a 20-25 y/o male and also assumes effort is directly proportional to running speed.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
African or European?

swallows.gif

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
"Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?"

Haha..such a great movie.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
What is your favorite color?
Blue. No, Red! Aahhhhhhh.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
What a strange person. I was serious about 10 mph being the optimum speed for the PRT. I worked it out in excel. I'm not sure what the movie has to do with it, but whatever floats your boat. 10.6 mph is the next best speed, being only slightly less optimum than 10 mph.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JetJunkie said:

There's a thought. I'll be sure to properly monitor my AOA next time and I'll be sure to cut at least a minute off my run time.:D

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
What a strange person. I was serious about 10 mph being the optimum speed for the PRT. I worked it out in excel. I'm not sure what the movie has to do with it, but whatever floats your boat. 10.6 mph is the next best speed, being only slightly less optimum than 10 mph.
Dude: http://www.airforce.com/
"Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time."

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I checked your math. You're wrong. The optimum speed is which your run time is the maximum allowable while still passing. This is the most efficient use of energy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You seriously need to get laid......

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Dude: http://www.airforce.com/
"Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time."

How dare you suggest that I am not good enough for your navy and that I should join a lesser service.:icon_rage

I checked your math. You're wrong. The optimum speed is which your run time is the maximum allowable while still passing. This is the most efficient use of energy.

That might be optimum if effort is the only consideration, but not if the ratio score/effort is the objective function.

I suppose a lazy person might throw in a constraint that limits running speed to some maximum acceptable value, but that's more of a subjective decision. I'm just giving an unbiased analysis which assumes that laziness is not a factor.