• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online degrees and OCS

Salty

So here I am, all excited that I'll finally be taking the ASTB when I get a call from my recruiter saying that there might be a problem with my degree and that he'd have to check with his education officer to see if I could still take it.

Basically, he told me that the Navy generally doesn't accept online degrees except for the University of Pheonix, which is quite perplexing to me because I actually picked my school based on which one had a better reputation and was more recognized.

A little bit of background: I originally attended a "regular" college (UC Riverside), but I left because of personal reason (school was too big, didn't like the city in general, class sizes, etc). I ended up finishing my degree at an online college. The school I attended was Western Governors University, which offers 4 year degrees, and is regionally and nationally accredited and supposedly has a fairly good reputation (for an online college anyways). I just don't really understand how the UoP would be accepted for OCS, but not WGU. WGU seems to have more recognition (it's regionally accredited in addition to being nationally accredited, I believe UoP is only nationally accredited) as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any insight on this matter?

I heard of people (enlisted, civilians, etc) becoming officers with online degrees before, so has something changed?

Sorry if this has already been answered/posted/posted in the wrong section. Please don't bite my head off.:icon_tong

Salty

That's good to hear and a huge relief. I'll talk to my recruiter tomorrow and see what he says. Hopefully everything turns out okay.:)

goopscoop

I find it interesting that it takes regional accreditation to make an online school "legit" in the eyes of the traditional, brick and mortar higher education world, even when the school has achieved national accreditation. From personal experience, I'll bet you studied harder for your online degree too. It takes self discipline to go that route and take that into your interviews as an example of your drive and commitment to become a naval officer. Best of luck to you.

Salty

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I contacted my recruiter today and he said he looked into the University more and said it should be okay now (but he still needs to hear from his educations officer).

It does kind of tick me off that online universities aren't given more credit.:icon_rage I graduated from the better half of my class in high school (3.4GPA, nothing special, but not bad either :p) and was generally a good student. I just didn't really like the whole gigantic public university vibe -- I felt like I spent more time walking between lectures/classes than actually learning, and I didn't even know what 95% of the buildings were for. But it's kind of funny that online degrees are looked down on when most (if not all) of my assignments at the regular University were online anyways. Pretty much all of my Ethnic History, English, math, Introduction to CS, etc. were online assignments through the student portal. Heck, even some of the mid-terms were online if I recall correctly. Only difference between the online University and the public University was that exams were taken at Prometrics instead of online or in a lecture hall, the lectures (which I found pretty useless and they probably could've been streamed anyways), and TA classes...and less walking, haha.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your recruiter needs to educate himself on what it means to be regionally accredited.

UF_ME

I think that the debate of brick & mortar vs. online is going to heat up in the coming years...there is no way I could do an online degree, too hard to stay focused during "class" time, there is always something to read on AW ;)

AnonymousGuy

None
I attended a brick and mortar school for two years, but then I got my degree from an online university. Thomas Edison State College.

I was pro-recd in March, and I'm headed to OCS in October.

No worries about your online degree, as long as it is regionally accredited.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
Just wait until you get to the fleet and the second question you get asked on every brief is where did you go to school? I did an online degree with New School University. It always gets a strange look....

Grizzly

I go to a big ten school and they are beginning to offer more online classes each semester, in fact many of the departments were offered incentives(more money) to start online classes. Imagine going to away to school and never going to class... already sounds too familiar.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Think about it this way: If you have a stellar professor from ABC University who contracts with XYZ University to record his lectures and has the right to use those recorded lectures in lieu of having to pay the $70,000 - $100,000 a year for a FULL professor, why wouldn't they? They would be able to 1) not have to pay such a salary and 2) be able to lower their tuition rates which, those of us with student loans, have gotten outrageous.

The higher education bubble is soon to pop - as are the liberal arts degrees. IMHO.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
In the big scheme of things, no worries- It sounds like the recruiter had some old gouge, was presented with circumstances that were new to him, he was being careful not to make promises he wasn't sure he could keep, and he took a bit of time to check his info with somebody with the knowledge and authority to make the call.

@OP- be patient, polite, and persistent.

Anybody can print up a piece of paper stating "so-in-so earned degree xyz" and I'd bet the recruiting command has seen some doozies over the years...

My 2c on online vs brick and mortar- it boils down to the individual students and the prof every time.

cbump

I did a search for "American Military University" and found this thread. When I read the original post I was almost scared to scroll down and read the rest. I am so relieved to see posts from Officers with online degrees. I am currently working on my degree with AMU. It is also regionally and nationally accredited.
Has anyone earned a degree there?

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
I find it interesting that it takes regional accreditation to make an online school "legit" in the eyes of the traditional, brick and mortar higher education world, even when the school has achieved national accreditation...............

True. The Navy only takes regionally accredited whether its online or brick n mortar......unless things have changed.

Just wait until you get to the fleet and the second question you get asked on every brief is where did you go to school? I did an online degree with New School University. It always gets a strange look....

Are you serious? Lol Yea, great reason to go to a traditional school. In 10 years the brick and mortar schools will get "the look."