• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online degrees and OCS

das

Contributor
I did a search for "American Military University" and found this thread. When I read the original post I was almost scared to scroll down and read the rest. I am so relieved to see posts from Officers with online degrees. I am currently working on my degree with AMU. It is also regionally and nationally accredited.
Has anyone earned a degree there?

It's regional accreditation that matters. The national accreditation by DETC for undergraduate degrees doesn't mean anything in this context; it's a solid baseline for online institutions, but it's the regional accreditation that matters.

A four-year degree from a regionally accredited institution is generally required for new officer accession programs by all of the military services. Most government agencies and employers that look at accreditation on undergraduate degrees are looking for regional accreditation. It might seem that national accreditation is "better" than regional, but for undergraduate degrees, regional accreditation is the benchmark. There are six regional accreditors that have historically performed this role, and that's still how it stands today. For graduate and professional degrees, there are speciality nationwide accreditors, and there are national accreditors for some undergraduate professional paths, too. But again, it's the regional accreditation that matters.

And if that isn't enough information for you, I finished my undergraduate degree with American Military University, and am currently finishing a graduate program through AMU as well. I just was just selected in September for a direct commission as an Information Warfare Officer. So the Navy definitely has no problem with AMU, nor with degrees from online institutions as long as the degree is regionally accredited.

SpaceApe29

My packet is at the board right now and I got my BA from AMU while I was VERY forward deployed in Afghanistan. I am currently active duty Army trying to cross over and the research it took to get my conditional release approved on the Army side was helped by the research it takes to study taking online courses. I didn't go to a "brick and mortar" school except The Citadel for a little bit, but I graduated from a "bullet and mortar" downrange so hopefully that counts for something.

Here's an article that has my beautiful mug on it and a small section on me, ignore the bashing of online colleges in the article. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34733974/ns/business-personal_finance