• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS One Billion Dollars...

Renegade One

None
http://us.cnn.com/2016/06/20/politics/military-aviation-crash/index.html

I can guarantee the FA-18A in Fallon wasn't worth $71 million.
Could be legit…if that figure is the "then year cost" adjusted to "now year dollars"…given the 220% inflation rate that's accrued in the past 30 years.

Or if it landed on prehistoric and sacred First Peoples burial grounds or some such place that had to be completely decontaminated of POL, carbon composite fibers, other carcinogens, etc. I have no doubt that "bean counters" could conjure up a total "cost" of $71M without even trying.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Or if it landed on prehistoric and sacred First Peoples burial grounds or some such place that had to be completely decontaminated of POL, carbon composite fibers, other carcinogens, etc. I have no doubt that "bean counters" could conjure up a total "cost" of $71M without even trying.

Ah yes, the pesky "Other property damages" section of the SIR.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Because the Federal Government doesn't pay taxes nor is publicly traded the GAO to the best of my knowledge doesn't calculate depreciation for property. CNN can only use what the stuff cost new and calculate in today's dollars.............although I'm guessing they were to lazy to do even that and pulled the numbers out of their ass.

They probably took the exact number that NSC gave them. You know... laziness and all.