• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS One Billion Dollars...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and they are blaming aircrew readiness for the aircraft losses? I'm not sure where they are getting that correlation...
"We continue to have lower than acceptable numbers of aircraft available to train and fight"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's like saying I own a $30,000 automobile. Yeah, in 2005, when it was brand new. :p

The huge bureaucracy that the government is it actually has several ways of determining the diminishing value of certain things as they get older. I learned this when I was the 'receipt holder' for a bunch of IT equipment and a few pieces went missing that I was looking to possibly paying for, I guess they don't do it for aircraft though. I wonder how much a B-52 or a KC-135 would be if they used the original price, $57,000?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The huge bureaucracy that the government is it actually has several ways of determining the diminishing value of certain things as they get older. I learned this when I was the 'receipt holder' for a bunch of IT equipment and a few pieces went missing that I was looking to possibly paying for, I guess they don't do it for aircraft though. I wonder how much a B-52 or a KC-135 would be if they used the original price, $57,000?
I was only recently initiated into the mysteries of this thing the Army calls the "hand receipt." I get the impression my involvement in said process is best kept to a minimum.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was only recently initiated into the mysteries of this thing the Army calls the "hand receipt." I get the impression my involvement in said process is best kept to a minimum.

Yes, run away if you can...far, far away.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Fromt the article, proof that RW guys are at the bottom of the USAF food chain:
Since October 2014, the Air Force has had 27 "Class A mishaps," accidents that result in a fatality, loss of an aircraft, or property damage of $2 million or more involving fixed-wing aircraft, an Air Force public affairs officer told CNN.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
http://us.cnn.com/2016/06/20/politics/military-aviation-crash/index.html

I can guarantee the FA-18A in Fallon wasn't worth $71 million.

There a hell of a lot more than $71m worth of parts scattered across the Fallon range.

The Army wanted to charge me $400+ dollars because I didn't return the wash cloth sized pouch to stuff the rain cover in for the sleeping back I was issued. I told them fine, if I'm paying for the entire setup I'm keeping the entire thing. That didn't make them happy, said I couldn't do that either. I gave them some choice words, which included my plan to let my congressman decide how much that little rain pouch was worth... Suddenly it wasn't a problem.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There a hell of a lot more than $71m worth of parts scattered across the Fallon range.

In total, absolutely. Though I do recall the engine access door panels for the legacy now only being available through one manufacturer in somewhere like oklahoma city, who wanted some absurd amount of money since the Navy would obviously pay for it. Could be completely off the mark, but I think it was somewhere around $100k. So maybe that old ass A was worth more than I give it credit for.

jmcquate

Contributor
Because the Federal Government doesn't pay taxes nor is publicly traded the GAO to the best of my knowledge doesn't calculate depreciation for property. CNN can only use what the stuff cost new and calculate in today's dollars.............although I'm guessing they were to lazy to do even that and pulled the numbers out of their ass.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Because the Federal Government doesn't pay taxes nor is publicly traded the GAO to the best of my knowledge doesn't calculate depreciation for property. CNN can only use what the stuff cost new and calculate in today's dollars.............although I'm guessing they were to lazy to do even that and pulled the numbers out of their ass.

And the Pentagon has never been successfully audited, by the GAO or anyone else.