• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ON the beach

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jay610 said:
That's why I go!! :eek: Seriously, it's one of the best crappy bars around the halfway point down at the Lake of the Ozarks. Terrible name, but they do offer a shot of your favorite alcohol with a live minnow in it. (DOA seconds after you put it in) Then you can wear a t-shirt that says "I shot the minnow at Big Dick's!"

Okay, you guys are just taking it hook, line, and sinker. Time to shoot this horse. There's a HUGE gay fest on Pensacola beach Memorial weekend. I say "Big Dick's," and you say "That's why I go!!" Maybe you guys really should come down this weekend, you'll fit right in. ;)

gatordev said:
Okay, you guys are just taking it hook, line, and sinker. Time to shoot this horse. There's a HUGE gay fest on Pensacola beach Memorial weekend. I say "Big Dick's," and you say "That's why I go!!" Maybe you guys really should come down this weekend, you'll fit right in. ;)

Well excuuuuuuse me for not being up on all things GAY!:cowboy_12

Nice one.
:icon_zbee
-J

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
To all you guys wondering about living @ the beach while in training: i.e., should I or shouldn't I ???

DO IT !!!!

Years later --- you won't miss the money and minor hassles of the drive. You will be old soon enough. Opportunities don't always repeat themselves. Do it while you are young and relatively fancy-free and the opportunity is present. Try to minimize the times in later life when you drift back into your memories and think:

"Gee ... I wish I had ..... (filll in the blank)"

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Pags said:
depends what you mean by the bar scene...there's Florabama way over past Perdido, with the Keg even further into Alabama. Then, downtown there's a few bars close to each other such as Intermission and Seville. And then, down at the beach there's the beach bars like Bamboo willies and Flounders, which hop during the summer, but which are ghost towns during the winter. All of these areas are a good distance apart and require at least a $30 cab ride to get between the closest ones.
For what it's worth, a cab ride from the Keg (you mean you serve until 4am?!) to almost anywhere on Blue Angel is roughly $60 after tip. Add $30 to downtown, $20-30 more from downtown to Perdido. But hey, you weren't spending that money on anything important anyway, were you?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
4-5 years ago, you'd be able to find apartments and houses. All that is going by the wayside in favor of more high-rise condos. For instance, the Bama is now flanked by 2 high rises, and trust me, they want the Bama's land too. The clear-cutting wrought by Ivan only accelerated this process.

Which isn't to say that you can't find something good that's near the bars, but there are distinct areas of bars - W. Pcola/Perdido, downtown Pcola, Pcola beach... all separate and distinct areas to partake of adult beverages/hang your hat.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
High-rise condos...sounds good to me. :)

-J
Especially ..... if you bilge out of flight training .... when you jump :eek: you will do a proper job. The first floor would just sprain an ankle. :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think you guys have the right idea. Live well and party hard. It's the time to do it. I would choose at least near the beach. Standard wait time back in 93-94 was 12-18 months to start API. I had a good time :icon_zbee

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
bunk22 said:
Standard wait time back in 93-94 was 12-18 months to start API. I had a good time :icon_zbee

That's Totally Insane. RIFs, anyone?

@Jai5w4: Plan on being there 6 months if you need to do IFS once you show up. 3-4 if you're IFS complete (SNA.) Plenty of time to enjoy the beach... I hope a hurricane doesn't ruin your day, buddy.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
sevenhelmet said:
That's Totally Insane. RIFs, anyone?

No doubt. Majority of my cohorts, including me, showed up to for our first squadron tour as LT's.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
I was with bunk. Not everybody during that time got commissioned right away. Some had to wait until the following FY. No RIFs then but in the next two years they severly cut the number of pilot slots so now we are commonly called T-notchers for the lack of pilots from 93-95 yrs.

I STRONGLY AGREE with A4s. He hit right on the mark. I spent 5 glorious months ocean front on Pcola Beach. During that time of my life there was no better way to live especially in a 4 bedroom house that was built many moons ago (wiped out by Opal in 95) but the rent was very cheap in the off season and if you had to you could crawl from the beach bars.

It's one of the main reasons I consider that part of FL as my second home even though I haven't lived there in a long time. Great memories and great fun that you won't have to worry about after your time is up in the area. Plus I got to live on Ariola street, how does it get better then that?

The only would have should have item that we should have done then was buy that house. At the time a four bedroom house that was built in the 50s went for $180,000. Seemed outragous at Ensign pay but the four of us could have bought that damn thing and made some serious coin if we would have held onto it. Oh well, on to the next million I guess. RIGHT!

BEACH!!!!!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Kent, how'd the Southwest interview go? That's right bud, remember those VT-4 days! Actually, nights is more like it. Great freaking times.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Whatever you do, stay clear of Aquatic Realty on Perdido. The place they rented us was perfect, but they SCREWED us when we left. Long story short, they let us break the lease under the military clause, never did the paperwork, then told the owner that we skipped town without paying. After a brief lawsuit, all was taken care of but it was a major red-ass. Needless to say, I learned a lesson on getting copies of important paperwork. I failed to cover my ass, which was my fault, but those lying sacks of sh!t provided the majority of the hassle. If their rental shop wasn't flattened by the last hurricane (hopefully), you can start looking in Okinawa for the arsonist if it ever burns down. That was 12 years ago and I'm still pissed about it.

That said, as long as you don't use Aquatic Realty, and you KNOW FOR SURE that you're not going to Whiting, you absolutley owe it to yourself to get a condo on Perdido.

My buddy and I that lived there after TBS (now both old, married, with kids) still talk about what a great time we had there. You could walk (ok, stumble) from the Floribama after a long night. The only thing between us and the ocean was our pool. GREAT time. You're only young once.

Remember to keep a copy of the paperwork.