• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ON the beach

gatordev said:
Pensacola Beach. Actually, make every effort to get down there this weekend (Memorial day). I recommend you take a road trip this Friday and come be part of the "action." And again, from the other thread, <shudder>.

Driving to FL from MO is something I only desire (poor word choice) to do once. We're heading down next Wednesday. Lake of the Ozarks will have to suffice for Memorial Day weekend.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
gatordev said:
Pensacola Beach. Actually, make every effort to get down there this weekend (Memorial day). I recommend you take a road trip this Friday and come be part of the "action." And again, from the other thread, <shudder>.

Yeah... go to Pensacola Beach this weekend. You'll get alot of action if you wear your whites. But on second thought...

T

TXHusker05

jai5w4 said:
Okay, so if the hurricanes, drive, and expenses don't bother us (which they don't), upon what beach should we look to careen ourselves for the few months we're there?

J

Pensacola Beach, definitely. The traffic can tend to be bad and there will be plenty of beach traffic during the summer but it would be worth it. If you have a choice between a couple of houses, pick the one that might be elevated slightly. Some beach houses in the area have 6 or so steps up to the main level and then it is open beneath in the event of flooding.

And I wouldn't exactly say expenses don't bother you because it is expensive to buy and rent anything on the beach there. Just make sure it is big enough to entertain your fellow SNA's because they are coming whether you like it or not.

Jay610

King of the Wicker People
jai5w4 said:
Driving to FL from MO is something I only desire (poor word choice) to do once. We're heading down next Wednesday. Lake of the Ozarks will have to suffice for Memorial Day weekend.

You're going to the lake this weekend?!? Ditto, bro. What mile marker? We'll be at Big Dick's Saturday night for sure. By the way, Perdido is where all the women are at, but you'll have to pay for it!;)

Jay610 said:
You're going to the lake this weekend?!? Ditto, bro. What mile marker? We'll be at Big Dick's Saturday night for sure. By the way, Perdido is where all the women are at, but you'll have to pay for it!;)

Ha! We're working on getting a group together to rent a pontoon and chill in party cove for about 8 solid. Big Dick's, huh? Maybe we'll see you there.

-J

BACK ON TOPIC:

So Perdido or P-Cola beach, guys? Women, hot-spots, beaches...which local is best?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
Ha! We're working on getting a group together to rent a pontoon and chill in party cove for about 8 solid. Big Dick's, huh? Maybe we'll see you there.

Hmm, I can see my chumming of the water didn't pay off. Okay, here's another try...

Big Dick's? That's just too easy...

Pags

N/A
pilot
jai5w4 said:
Okay, so if the hurricanes, drive, and expenses don't bother us (which they don't), upon what beach should we look to careen ourselves for the few months we're there?

J
Driving from Perdido to Whiting would take at least 1hr, which would suck for the 0530 brief.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
Driving from Perdido to Whiting would take at least 1hr, which would suck for the 0530 brief.
And the fuel budget as well. I don't know what gas is in FL these days, but it's ~$3.50 in SOCAL.

Brett

nmund11

I live out on Perdido Key right now. Like you I didn't think I would mind the drives, expenses, etc, but it gets real old. Don't get me wrong, living on the beach is great, but, to catch a cab back from the bars (Sevilles, McGuire's, etc) costs about $45 (catching a cab from bars at Pensacola beach isn't even an option). Go to a movie, 35 minute drive. Mall, about the same... If you catch my drift. I put about 350 miles a week in driving. I have found there are some fun places to go in Alabama though, and have spent more than a few Friday nights at Florabama.

As for the wait, the days of several months are over. Most SNAs are only waiting somewhere around six weeks, and after that the amount of free time reduces drastically. Just a few more things to keep in mind. Hope all this helps, but most importantsly, whatever you do enjoy your time off before API.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nmund11 said:
I live out on Perdido Key right now. Like you I didn't think I would mind the drives, expenses, etc, but it gets real old. Don't get me wrong, living on the beach is great, but, to catch a cab back from the bars (Sevilles, McGuire's, etc) costs about $45 (catching a cab from bars at Pensacola beach isn't even an option). Go to a movie, 35 minute drive. Mall, about the same... If you catch my drift. I put about 350 miles a week in driving. I have found there are some fun places to go in Alabama though, and have spent more than a few Friday nights at Florabama.

As for the wait, the days of several months are over. Most SNAs are only waiting somewhere around six weeks, and after that the amount of free time reduces drastically. Just a few more things to keep in mind. Hope all this helps, but most importantsly, whatever you do enjoy your time off before API.
Time to update your profile. ;)

Brett

Jay610

King of the Wicker People
gatordev said:
Hmm, I can see my chumming of the water didn't pay off. Okay, here's another try...

Big Dick's? That's just too easy...

That's why I go!! :eek: Seriously, it's one of the best crappy bars around the halfway point down at the Lake of the Ozarks. Terrible name, but they do offer a shot of your favorite alcohol with a live minnow in it. (DOA seconds after you put it in) Then you can wear a t-shirt that says "I shot the minnow at Big Dick's!"

I appreciate the feedback thusfar.

Bars will be an integral part of our life at any location, Pensacola is no exception. Is there any beach location that also allows for a less than $45.00 cab ride from the main bar scene?

-J

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of which, some Whidbey buddies and I are putting together a 4 day houseboat boondoggle this summer on Lake Roosevelt in Eastern Washington - good times. :D

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
jai5w4 said:
I appreciate the feedback thusfar.

Bars will be an integral part of our life at any location, Pensacola is no exception. Is there any beach location that also allows for a less than $45.00 cab ride from the main bar scene?

-J
depends what you mean by the bar scene...there's Florabama way over past Perdido, with the Keg even further into Alabama. Then, downtown there's a few bars close to each other such as Intermission and Seville. And then, down at the beach there's the beach bars like Bamboo willies and Flounders, which hop during the summer, but which are ghost towns during the winter. All of these areas are a good distance apart and require at least a $30 cab ride to get between the closest ones.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Don't forget Live bait in Orange Beach AL... right down from Florabama. If your going to spend that much money on cabs to go to relatively ****ty places (Intermission and Seville) get a group togather and setup a driving rotation... the bigger the group, the less often you have to drive.