• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

on base housing at Vance

AJB37

Does anyone have any updated information on the Vance living situation? I may unfortunately end up there and I've heard that all the SNAs are required to live in the dorms. If that's true, are they at least better than TBS and O'Bannon hall? I can handle life if the living situation is not as much of a shit sandwich as TBS.

81montedriver

pilot
Does anyone have any updated information on the Vance living situation? I may unfortunately end up there and I've heard that all the SNAs are required to live in the dorms. If that's true, are they at least better than TBS and O'Bannon hall? I can handle life if the living situation is not as much of a shit sandwich as TBS.

The on base situation is a hell of a lot better than TBS don't you worry. Unlike TBS they are single rooms. They have a basic kitchen with microwave oven and fridge, a small living area/sleeping area and a bathroom. Basic but cozy. For married dudes, on base housing is actually pretty nice. They just built up a whole ton of new houses. If you are married though, I would recommend living off base. There are plenty of developments to live in.

I would have somebody who has been there recently talk to you about the mando living on base situation for single dudes. When I was there, "all" single dudes had to live off base. Yet nobody complied with it so i'm curious as to how serious they are about it.

Falker

Not Air Force
The on base situation is a hell of a lot better than TBS don't you worry. Unlike TBS they are single rooms. They have a basic kitchen with microwave oven and fridge, a small living area/sleeping area and a bathroom. Basic but cozy. For married dudes, on base housing is actually pretty nice. They just built up a whole ton of new houses. If you are married though, I would recommend living off base. There are plenty of developments to live in.

I would have somebody who has been there recently talk to you about the mando living on base situation for single dudes. When I was there, "all" single dudes had to live off base. Yet nobody complied with it so i'm curious as to how serious they are about it.

As of now all single dudes entering training at Vance have to live in on-base dorms.

ba3816

I arrived at Vance in early Feb and when I went to the hotel to get a room they ended up having me go straight to the on base housing. The people arriving now have a little bit of a wait. All single people have to live on base but you can be get your name on a list to move off base. The room isnt to bad. The best thing is that I have about a 20 second walk to where I need to report every morning and about a 2 minute walk to the flight line so its really convenient. I dont know if there is any advantage of living off base there is not much to do.

81montedriver

pilot
I arrived at Vance in early Feb and when I went to the hotel to get a room they ended up having me go straight to the on base housing. The people arriving now have a little bit of a wait. All single people have to live on base but you can be get your name on a list to move off base. The room isnt to bad. The best thing is that I have about a 20 second walk to where I need to report every morning and about a 2 minute walk to the flight line so its really convenient. I dont know if there is any advantage of living off base there is not much to do.

You are wrong my friend. The advantage to living off base is living in a house and not having to deal w/ PMO when you are drinking. During the week you will be more than busy studying for flights and being at the squadron for the mando 12 hour days.

On the weekends you have several options. Surprisingly enough, Enid has some of the best restaurants I have ever been to. They have about 4 or 5 independently run restaurants in various parts of town that are just fantastic. IF you like shooting, there is a state park about an hour west of base with an unsupervised outdoor shooting range. I can keep going but it depends on your interests. PM if you have more questions.

P.S. Wild Childs and Area 51 are the local titty bars

divot182

How often do these 12 hour days occur and in what part of the program?
Do married students report directly to base housing or the dorms? Or are they able to live off base immediately upon checking in?

Thanks...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
How often do these 12 hour days occur and in what part of the program?

The 12-hour days will be during Phase II, for about the first month or two of the five. The duration of the "formal release" depends on the class performance and the decision of the IPs and Flight Commander.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
12 hour days are somewhat of a myth. If you're there 12 hours, the IPs have to be there 13. So...will you have 12 hour days? Absolutely. Will it be every day for the entire duration of your time there? No. Keep in mind that YMMV depending on the IPs running your flight.

When I left in November, they had just changed the policy requiring single Sailors/Marines to live in the BOQ. If the BOQ is at 80% capacity, you can get your name on a list to get off base.

Call the housing office or the NATU, they can answer these questions better than anyone.

81montedriver

pilot
12 hour days are somewhat of a myth. If you're there 12 hours, the IPs have to be there 13. So...will you have 12 hour days? Absolutely. Will it be every day for the entire duration of your time there? No. Keep in mind that YMMV depending on the IPs running your flight.

When I left in November, they had just changed the policy requiring single Sailors/Marines to live in the BOQ. If the BOQ is at 80% capacity, you can get your name on a list to get off base.

Call the housing office or the NATU, they can answer these questions better than anyone.

Bullshit the 12 hour days are no myth. Like Hacker said, they will definately be for at least the first 2 months. Depending on how your class is progressing, your flight commander at his or her discretion has the power to shorten your days. But as soon as you fuck something up again, and believe me you will, those 12 hour days come right back.

Yes, the instructors don't want to be there any longer than you do, but it was quite obvious that after a couple of weeks, they developed a system so that not all instructors had to be there 12 hours a day every day. On top of that, the program is developed to be run that way. So the flight commander is not going to shorten the days after two weeks just because him and the instructors don't want to be there the whole time.

It sucks but there are plenty of benefits to it. You get constant exposure to studying, instructors are always available to answer questions (not so much in Navy training) and once you get home, you generally don't have to do any work. Don't forget, once you hit the fleet, your days will become very busy.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I think it really depends on who is running your flight. We had 12 hour days during the 15 day program and once for about a week when we "fucked up." There were certainly 12 hours days here and there, but 8-10 was also pretty common. Either way, you get used to it.

Doctor M

Anybody currently or recently stationed at Vance, would you mind telling me what the current housing situation is for SNA's sent there? Is on base required or am I allowed to live off base? Need to know soon so I can make arrangements for my vehicles and furniture.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Call the NATU office there and ask one of the stash Ensigns

580-213-7707