• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

on base housing at Vance

torpedo0126

Does anyone have any current info on the on base housing situation at Vance? I've heard they are making you go 2 to 1 dorm room. Any truth to that?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I'm here for E-6 advanced, and I have a dorm room to myself. It was my decision to live in the dorms, too.

It shouldn't be an issue, though. If you are Navy or Marine Corps you can live off base.

That's a whole other can of worms.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
The AF guys that lived on base, when we were stationed there, lived in a room by themselves. There's a lot of BS about the housing at Vance. It's hard to weed through that crap. You should be fine, though. If you do get a chance to live off base, just go for an apartment... We couldn't find a house in town to rent to save our lives. We ended up living in a house on base.

p.s. D'oh! What jolly said... (I should really read the previous post!) :)

torpedo0126

yea so I've heard. I have no problem with living on base, as having a maid is a highlight in my life.

i just heard they were squeezing two people into each of those room so I was wondering if that was actually the case...

MasterBates

Maid?

When in permanent party quarters I have NEVER had a maid.

But I have been put on report for having a coke can in my trash on a random tuesday.

MasterBates

In short, don't live in the BOQ if you can avoid it. I TECHNICALLY live on base, but not really. I still have to deal with security shenanigans at times here..

I cannot think of a single time living on base has been better than living off base. Not once.

I have lived on base at Pcola, Whiting, Mayport, Kingsville, Corpus, and Little Creek.

The only place that was a wash, and made it more or less worth it was Kingsville was 200 yards from the O-Club, and had a more "Relaxed" policy on certain things (like working on a car in your driveway). Plus I had a crash pad out in town if I wanted to go out and get driven home by someone without base access.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
I would only live on base at Vance to avoid the front gate shenanigans ... those stupid f'n circles.... for those that can relate... I'm sure all would agree.... for those that cant I'm sure its on google maps by now... its so f'n dumb! #1 target..Enid

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Live at Sun Ridge... 1300 square foot duplexes with garages... Quite large for a 2 bedroom. Wayyy better deal. Wayyy more space. Besides, after a 12 hour day of hell, you'll want to go off base.

Sun Ridge is about a 5 minute drive away, and you'll hardly ever have traffic waiting to get on. My .02.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Live at Sun Ridge... 1300 square foot duplexes with garages... Quite large for a 2 bedroom. Wayyy better deal. Wayyy more space. Besides, after a 12 hour day of hell, you'll want to go off base.

Sun Ridge is about a 5 minute drive away, and you'll hardly ever have traffic waiting to get on. My .02.

From someone who was there a long time ago, I agree, Sun Ridge is the way to go. I had several friends stay there and as long as you don't require a whole lot of room, it is good to go. You will be astounded and highly underwhelmed at the housing choices out there. I lived with my family in base housing and other than the move-out (the AF actually does it right, just wipe up, sweep up, mow your shit, and go) it was VERY painful. I once got a ticket for going 18 in a 15 mph speed zone. They actually sent it to my flight commander. I can't recall ever enjoying myself while on Vance AFB.

torpedo0126

You will be astounded and highly underwhelmed at the housing choices out there.
Both my friend and I who will be reporting to Vance next week got WORD from both staff and people there that there is virtually no off base housing available. Thats why they are doubling up on people in the "dorms."

I know living off base would be preferable, but I have talked to several recent graduates and they advised me to live on base for 3 big reasons 1) close to flightline, 2) make friends, 3) easy study groups if needed.

I don't know how truthful it is, but I decided I am just going to tough it out. I am looking forward to starting and thrilled that I have made it this far.

In short, don't live in the BOQ if you can avoid it.
I plan to heed to this advice in the future, but just based on the recent advice I received, I am going to stay on base.

CPENgunner

Both my friend and I who will be reporting to Vance next week got WORD from both staff and people there that there is virtually no off base housing available. Thats why they are doubling up on people in the "dorms."
Thats what I was told when i called the housing office before i reported to Vance. THey won't double up. Maybe AF but the housing manager told me that they won't double up Navy or Marine. Wait til you get there and talk to the housing manager face to face.
I know living off base would be preferable, but I have talked to several recent graduates and they advised me to live on base for 3 big reasons 1) close to flightline, 2) make friends, 3) easy study groups if needed.
My 2 cents. I finished Vance last February and lived in the dorms. If I could do it all over again, I would live off base. Sure, you are close to the flightline; but in a town as small as Enid, any place is close, ie within 15 minutes, to the flightline. You'll make friends whether you live on base or off base. As far as study groups go, your in the flight room or at least in the squadron spaces 12 hours a day for alot of the program. Your study groups are the guys in your flight. You'll study in the flight room or the auditorium (when your not being kicked out by some AF 1LT instructors meeting) with those guys almost exclusively. When you get home from that horsesh*t of a day, the last thing you'll want to do is study more with a group. Also, if those reason aren't enough, think about the long nights when maintenance test the T38 afterburners at 0200 and you have be in your flight room at 0630. Happened about twice a week when i was there. Enjoy on base living if you chose that route.

MasterBates

Some people can learn by reading. Some learn by seeing.

Others have to piss on the electric fence to learn that it indeed hurts.

torpedo0126

I mean i've heard things from both sides. if I have a chance to take off base housing, ill jump on it.

i appreciate the advice though.

SemperFi Fly

I'm currently living in base housing here at Vance (moving to P'cola for helos in 2 weeks), and I think that living on base is definitely the way to go. I can tell you for a fact that they are not doubling people up in the dorms. If you are married, I'd live in base housing. If not, I'd live in the dorms. The houses/dorms aren't that bad, you're centrally located to anywhere you would want to go in Enid, and its only like 5 minutes to the flight room in the mornings. Besides, like its already been said, there isn't exactly a lot of housing available off base.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Those dorm rooms suck though, bigtime. They are a small as hell (glorified closet). I was done with dorms when I left college. To each their own though.