• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old School Shaving

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So my current routine is to shave in the shower. Any of you old school safety razor folks do it that way? Or does it require standing in front of the mirror to get it right and not slice up your face?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So my current routine is to shave in the shower. Any of you old school safety razor folks do it that way? Or does it require standing in front of the mirror to get it right and not slice up your face?

Starting out, I think it would be pretty hazardous. I'm to the point now where I could probably do it, but you are more likely to nick yourself than with a cartridge.

Definitely doable, but get some practice in front of the mirror first I'd say.

phrogpilot73

...king of shaves alpha gel...
King of Shaves business arrangement with Remington fell apart late last year. I saw it coming (when everything on the Remington KoS website was 50% off) and picked up a bunch. Right now, they're looking for a new partner to help with the US market, but you can still order from their UK webstore - and Amazon still has it. Just a heads up.

brad_wp

None
Just pulled the trigger on a Merkur 34C. Got a Van Der Hagen kit (not the best brush, supposedly, but comes with a bowl, stand, and soap to start with), a sample pack of blades and some Prorasso pre and post products as well.

Tired of mauling my face only to get a shave that isn't even close enough to make it through the day. Finally decided to get serious and get a better shave. Hopefully it's worth it.

I started with the Van Der Hagen boar brush and soap. They sell them at most exchanges I've been to (that's where I picked mine up). They aren't "good" by any stretch of the imagination, but still worked a lot better than the canned stuff. It's good stuff to start on, and convinced me that wet shaving wouldn't be too much of a chore, and would be worth an investment in better gear. Difference between can and wet shaving with Van Der Haven: night and day, difference between boar brush and badger brush: night and day. One thing I didn't like about the VDH brush besides how stiff the bristles are was how much it sheds. Most new brushes shed for a week or two, but the VDH was still losing hairs every shave 6 months later.

If you find that you don't mind (or enjoy for that matter) the wet shave ritual definitely invest in a better brush. I'm using an inexpensive (35ish iirc) Parker badger hair brush I got from Amazon. I might get a more expensive one when it wears out, but I'm pretty happy with it. Been using it over 3 years and it's still in great shape.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
When I do use something other than a non lathering gel (generally for the scent since I don't like cologne), I have a travel size badger brush from the art of shaving. It's held up great for the two years and two deployments its been on, especially considering the size and cheap cost.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I still have the same crappy electric shaver that my folks bought for me when I was like 14. Just turned 30 yesterday, and it still works like a champ. That said, the couple of times I have forgotten to shave in the AM, nobody has ever been the wiser.......

jroberts1187

I'm very interested in getting a safety razor and if all goes well eventually a straight razor, but I know next to nothing about old school shaving(really want to learn a lot) and would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest a site that has good information

brad_wp

None
I'm very interested in getting a safety razor and if all goes well eventually a straight razor, but I know next to nothing about old school shaving(really want to learn a lot) and would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest a site that has good information

The as stated a few posts back The Badger and Blade forums are great (http://badgerandblade.com). Also search on YouTube for "wet shaving," or "wet shave how to," and you will find some great instructional videos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mdubs

pilot
My father in law got me into this and it's awesome. I save a ton of money and the lifelong problem I had with my bad skin has really improved. It takes an extra couple of minutes, but it's totally worth it. Merkur Safety razor and Feather blades for me, straight razor seems a little inconvenient. Check out this book, the guy is a little too into shaving if you ask me, but it has a ton of good info on products, techniques, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1477436804/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Figured I would necro this thread to share my experience and thank everyone for the tips they shared.

Based on all the information I read here, I ordered a Merkur 34C over the summer and the cheapo VDH kit. For a guy who normally gets evening stubble before it's noon, this turned out to be a great buy!
Shaving is much more enjoyable now, and I get closer and much more comfortable shaves without any of the neck irritation I had before.

My wife now makes my shave soap based on a tutorial on Badger and Blade and it has worked awesome! The most billowy, slick lather of any soap/cream I have tried.
Then I made my own pre-shave oil and post shave balm and picked up an alum block.
My first Straight Razor just arrivedl so now the fun really begins. Time to go all in!

I know traditional wet shaving has been gaining popularity lately, and for anyone who is on the fence, I can't recommend it enough...give it a shot for a month. Even if you don't like it, a starter setup won't put you back any more than a normal month's worth of cartridge crap.

I used to shave with a Gillette Fusion and in addition to my face I shave my head every 3 days or so. A cartridge used to last me about 4, maybe 5 days if I was lucky.
As a comparison, I just ordered a set of 100 Astra SP blades for my Merkur for about $12 shipped. One of those blades lasts me 4 days. That is a huge cost savings, more than enough to cover the new straight razor, fancier brush, etc.

Renegade One

None
You guys make me laugh. No one likes a "straight razor shave" at my local barber shop better than I. It's just the "man-style version"of a ladies' "Mani-Pedi-Spa Day". Nothing wrong with any of that. Something you should treat yourself to several times a year.

The whole point of the thing is to "get pampered"…the whole hot towels, shave cream, more hot towels, more cream, shave (this should take a while), skin lotion, wipey-downy, a smack of nice after-shave… Then you re-button your dress shirt, straighten up your tie/field scarf, put on your suit coat or SDB/Green ALPHA blouse, and strut out to slay dragons.

DO NOT get a shoe-shine at the same time…you'd be robbing yourself of the second-best "man thing". Do them separately…both of them are God's way of saying "thanks for your service". ;)

But for every day? Shave in the shower…I'm assuming you actually shower every day…and do the deed with a good, high-quality disposable razor of your choice. Mine, for 2o+ years, has been the Gillette "Good News" blue thingie. The gig is to get ready for work and "be smooth".

Just MY $.02…of course…

P.S.: The Barber Shop in the old NAS Cubi Point BOQ did NOT disappoint...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Well despite the resurgence, more barbers are actually going away from the straight razor shave. They claim things like state laws prevent it, or the risk of aids makes them not use it. Or they don't warn you its not a straight and suddenly you have a Trac2 scraping across your skin.

My compromise is that I'll pamper myself every morning. So far I'm still thoroughly enjoying the experience and feel great when I walk out of the house.