• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old S-2 & S-3 drivers still around??

Meffer

Old Screwbird
pilot
Just got outta "New Member Jail" and wondering what the extent of this community is; aviation experience, boat experience, age spread, gender spread (LOL)

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to AW, sir.

I remember flying with a few former S-2/S-3 guys when I was a new hire SO on the B727 at Delta in 2001...I don’t remember any names, however.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I always thought the red and white “Hoover” patches that the S-3 dudes wore were pretty freaking cool. From what I understood, those patches were obtained directly from Hoover...is that correct?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always thought the red and white “Hoover” patches that the S-3 dudes wore were pretty freaking cool. From what I understood, those patches were obtained directly from Hoover...is that correct?
I didn't get mine from Hoover. But I do believe the initial ones were Hoover Vacuum issue.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just got outta "New Member Jail" and wondering what the extent of this community is; aviation experience, boat experience, age spread, gender spread (LOL)
Welcome aboard. There is a great age (and experience) spread here. I was around in the late ‘80’s early 90’s and there are some guys here from much earlier. Many of the people were, as far as I can tell, winged after 2000. They don’t understand the old folk well....we don’t care.

All kidding aside, there are many great people here. You’ll have fun.

ATIS

Think I picked up my Hoover patch in the RAG G-dunk back in the mid-90’s.

I even know somebody that has an original S-3 thermos. Each Viking delivered from the factory had one in the pilot & co-pilot rear cut out in the front cockpit. They disappeared overnight. Still, it fit a huge water bottle just perfect for those of us that flew it in the 90’s and later.

ATIS

brownshoe

Contributor
Well this is my buddy Hughie Magee, he really was an A4 driver, but took a tour flying CODs (variant of an S2). Also, this is Hughie catching an okay three.

Attachments

• BusyBee.jpg
    BusyBee.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Midway COD.jpg
    Midway COD.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 64

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another good one was the Texaco patch. I only saw company issue ones, but I am sure they were eventually copied and sold in the gedunk. No internet. No ebay.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My old man CQ'd in S-2's during multiengine flight school. That doesn't exactly count (ended up being a fleet P2V, WC-121 and P-3A guy), but he is almost 83 years old now, and still flies hard IMC in his personal 1955 Beech Bonanza. The old geezers are still out there, scaring us all :)

Meffer

Old Screwbird
pilot
Thanks you guys ! I was one of the first eight NA's to fly the S-3 and was TAD to Lockheed Burbank for 3 months or so. Met and chatted with Tony LeVier who was always in a suit w/ Ray Ban's....very classy for sure. You think a new car smells "new", try a new aircraft.....mucho out-gassing for sure. We used to ride PSA up to KBUR in our flight gear no less, Lockheed rep would pick us up and drive us to the Lockheed flight line where we signed out a new A/C, jumped in and flew it back to our RAG at NZY. Well, we both narrowly avoided a shit storm when PSA security wanted to know what all was in our survival vests.....had to get the Captain to "put out the fire" after an explanation that only he would understand....Whew.

Meffer

Old Screwbird
pilot
Well this is my buddy Hughie Magee, he really was an A4 driver, but took a tour flying CODs (variant of an S2). Also, this is Hughie catching an okay three.
Well, I can appreciate that as I flew the Kittyhawk COD (1460420 from June '76 to Jan '78. "Turkey" Tucker, a former #5 of the Blues was an occasional co-pilot until the new #5 augered in at Miramar and "Turkey" got recalled to the team. Hughie might agree with what a buddy once said about S-2's "It was an easy airplane to fly but a difficult airplane to fly correctly". Single engines required an IMMEDIATE and CORRECT response!