• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old Diet Pepsi commercial

Sarpedon

ET2(SS/DV)
A friend linked me this video the other day... figured it'd be appropriate to post here ;) I got a kick out of it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My VHS copy of Top Gun has this in the beginning. It is too legit to throw away.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
That is legit. Makes me wanna get a bowl cut and wear British Knights again..... almost.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
AHAHAHA I'd never seen that before! So what are the chances I could transition to jets? :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One of our B/N's (and several pilots :)) used to fly w/ a can of COKE or two -- as we were NOT members of the Pepsi Generation -- and of course the inevitable finally happened to him ----

****** FSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT ***** BOOM !!!!

It took him @ an hour to clean up the cockpit after trapping.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
One of our B/N's (and several pilots :)) used to fly w/ a can of COKE or two -- as we were NOT members of the Pepsi Generation -- and of course the inevitable finally happened to him ----

****** FSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT ***** BOOM !!!!

It took him @ an hour to clean up the cockpit after trapping.

Oh shit! I assume maintenance was pretty pissed, huh?

I drank soda all the time. For you 60 guys...you can put the can on the door just right and turn the scupper window to hold it in place. Better than putting it on the center console just in case....

But don't try to shove a mushy peach through the scupper window - that will get ALL over the side of the aircraft.... whoops

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Trivia Question (for the youngsters anyways): Do you know WHY that Pepsi commercial was placed at the beginning of your VHS copy of Top Gun?

Because it made more sense to put it there rather than in the middle of the movie??? :)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
http://promomagazine.com/entertainmentmarketing/marketing_high_flyer/

Coke sponsored the olympics and associated itself with athletes and medals, so pepsi decided to associate itself with badass pilots.

Your link has a nice exposition as to why Pepsi needed a promotional opportunity. But the main reason why is only briefly mentioned. The commercial allowed Top Gun to be the first movie video ever to sell for under $20 (which is close to $40 in today's dollars). Indeed the article mentioned that the retail price was $26.95 (over $50 in today's dollars).

I only remember this because I working in the periphery of the film business at the time and had taken to reading the trade magazines. There were articles everywhere about how making videos attractive for purchase (vice renting) was going to screw too many people over.