• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old Boeing project

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Lame idea, just a cold-war era wire-brush of the Akron-class dirigibles from the 1930s. Spoiler alert: those didn't work either.

Sometimes derivative technologies come out of some pretty hare-brained ideas though. It can be good to let engineers "explore the space" from time to time.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do wonder if the Akrons would have done better if WX forecasting had been more advanced in their day. Seems we don’t have a problem running the Goodyear blimp into lines of CBs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I do wonder if the Akrons would have done better if WX forecasting had been more advanced in their day. Seems we don’t have a problem running the Goodyear blimp into lines of CBs.

Or the five kajillion tethered dirigibles we fly everyday, worldwide.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They aren't truly dirigibles, are they? Ridged LTA?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The current Goodyear Blimps are actually semi-rigid airships built by the Zeppelin Company itself.
Speaking of terminology, I wonder why nobody calls them flaccid airships instead?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have ridden in a Goodyear Blimp. I was four. It seemed cool at the time.
I worked with a guy who was one the reservists who got qualled to fly the blimp NAVAIR had a decade or so ago. He said the blimp pilot community is very small and tight. He also said flying it was a pretty unique experience.