• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OLD AGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolvz

I have to agree with you kaiken82 I am 32 with 4 years AD working on my package as well. My OSO didn't seem to have any problems with submitting mine. I had a 282 on my pft.

aaronbruce

Hey Woolvz-

What recruiting office did you use in Ohio? I am in WV and I wouldn't mind working with a recruiter up there. I would at least like the opportunity to put a package in. Would you mind posting or emailing contact info? Thanks! ASB my email is: ginabruce@yahoo.com

kaiken82

You guys are applying for OCC 184 I presume. Woolvz, did your OSO already send your packet up? Read on here, that some guys already sent there packets but I was under the impression that the board didn't meet until mid-August.

"WELL, ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE"

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

woolvz

Yes I am applying for 184, I just retested for the ASTB and Flight Physical 1 Jul. I am at the Columubus office. Phone # 1-800-338-0741. There has just been a change of OSO's though. I've spoken with him briefly so far.

aaronbruce

I am trying not to get discouraged, however I don't seem to be getting anywhere with trying to apply to OCS. Since I am 31 it is now or never.

My recruiting region (Roanoke, VA) still insists they will not work with anyone requiring an age waiver (regardless of prior service,) so I called the Columbus, OH office and while they have no problem with my age cannot work up my packet because I am not in their region.

How can I apply in a neighboring region? Has anyone else sucessfully done this?

dino93

Yeah this age thing is just making me go nuts. Before looking toward the navy for a career I never felt old but now I feel like the Navy thinks that you get alzheimers or something once you hit thirty. I mean I am 28 and I feel like I am in that old classic movie "Logan's Run". I am looking at possible career paths for the Navy and it seems that for the SWO slot I am too old for Subs I'm too old, for Aviation too old, oh well I will just have to keep plugging away and hope that some officer community will give this old timer a break.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Well ... this is for Marines but I hear ya. Just a FYI though ... your not too old for NFO. The age limit for that is 30 but it is kinda tight right now. The Navy had a bunch of slots open up a short time ago so check into it!

1devildoc

Have anyone heard any more on the USMC not accepting age waivers for SNA? How does this affect prioe enlisted guys? My husband is 29, he will be 30 next week, he is an active duty hospital corpsman in the Navy. He has 12 years of service, has excellent recommendations, PFT, etc... Any idea what his chances are? His OSO thinks he has a good chance, and is still going ahead with his package for OCC 184, but we are concerned about the age waiver. Having to wait till August to find out seems like an etenity. Any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kaiken82

I would just send that packet in and let come what may! One OSO has told me no waivers, another say yes if there is a shortage of applicants, another if you are prior and so on. I have noticed though, most older applicants who are accepted do have prior service, it certainly will set him apart from someone like myself who isn't.

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

1devildoc

Thanks, Kaiken.....I am just completely stressed out here. Are you applying for 184 as well? Good luck to you. We know exactly what you must be going through.

Flynator

Better physical fitness isn't the only reason for age waivers. Another reason for the age limit is based on physiological merit...degraded reaction times, rapidly approaching macular degeneration, and for those with prior service, years toward retirement. Since someone coming in at 28-30 vice 22-24 will be older at major milestones in their career, dept hd, etc...their reaction times will be slower than their counterparts, and by age 40 everyone has some form of macular degeneration (of the eye)...now, it may not be anything serious, but it does occur. The age limit is especially impt in the case of the Marine Corps, where it is a MINIMUM of 9 months from the time you enter OCS until you start flight training...so tack on another year to your waiver age...and that doesn't even count how long you have to wait for an OCS slot.
Before everyone jumps all over me about how in shape they are and how bogus the rules are let me just tell you I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as the rest of you...I'm 30 with 8 years prior service. I think that personal character and previous military performance outweigh these physiological reasons for the age limit (to a point, obviously they aren't going to send someone 40 through flight school). However, for me at least, knowing some of the background made the policies easier to understand and "deal with"....althought I am still trying to push through and get an NFO slot.
Keep on pushing to make your dreams happen.

kaiken82

For all of you old-timers like myself there is hope after all, just got my age waiver approved today by my OSO's CO, had to interview with him though before he would sign off on it. This doesn't mean that the board will be as forgiving but at least I have a fighting chance. FYI.... I am 28 yrs & 9 months, they told me up to 29th birthday was waiverable at the district level, beyond that was up to MCRC to sign off.

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Congrats man ...... hopefully we'll be right behind u. I'm 28 and 3 months so hopefully I'll be good to go. Out of curiosity .... what district are u in .. .?

Peace,

-Spin

Rayman

Will enlisting and applying from the inside give you a little room to breath? Can it give an injection in the arm, as far as getting an age waiver is concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.