• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer to enlisted SEAL

WhitingTJ

I was wondering if I was the only one that was a little pissed off at this guy for pulling this shit. I know a lot of people who have worked very hard to be in the position he's in...I also know some people who have worked very hard and have been unable to get where he is.

I can absolutely understand where you're coming from. I, personally, have applied for SNA and have been rejected. I am resubmitting my package soon.

It is my understanding that he was really stuck between a rock and a hard place. From my knowledge of the guy, I think that he tried every route possible to try to get out of NFO so that he could get to BUD/S somehow. However, the way the Navy is structured, going into the Aviation community and transferring to the SEAL community is nearly impossible, due to maximum ranks to get into SEALS in comparison to the rank he would have met if he had remained an NFO. My knowledge as to the specifics of the story as it pertains to his leaving Advanced, as well as the ranking structure, is not too strong.

So, I guess what I'd say to your response is: yeah, I would be pretty irritated as well. However, given the complexity of the situation, it may have been his only option. Again, I highly doubt he would travel the NFO road until 6 weeks before winging just to throw it by the wayside. I mean, that is a lot of work for him, as well, to just be arbitrarily "throwing it away."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did you happen to read The Heart and the Fist? It mentions him specifically.

I have not. I did read Lutrell's book, where he was discussed, which made a riveting book actually hard to read. Suh was a year behind me at UF and in Webmaster's class had Suh commissioned.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is a "tactical" down?

I am not entirely sure of what transpired with him, so, for the sake of the conversation, let's just assume that he was in Advanced for NFO, left, and is now in "purgatory."
It makes a diference. "Tactical" down is throwing a test or event in order to intentionally attrite, just as you described. Now, we don't know whether or not this guy did anything like that, but it's a moot point. The SNFO pipeline isn't rocket science, so if you can't make it through that without attriting (intentional or otherwise), you clearly don't have the motivation or skills to succeed in BUD/S.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
A guy DOR'd from my ROTC unit as a senior because he wasn't selected for SEALs. As far as I know he went enlisted and is going through BUD/S. Definitely a different process than resigning a commission, but I can't blame the guy who's made it his mission to become a SEAL and won't accept anything else.

We have one who is now an enlisted AW and one of our pilots was a ROTC classmate of his in college. He never made it to BUD/S due to a medical issue which was later resolved and he hopes to eventually go... years after the fact.

WhitingTJ

It makes a diference. "Tactical" down is throwing a test or event in order to intentionally attrite, just as you described. Now, we don't know whether or not this guy did anything like that, but it's a moot point. The SNFO pipeline isn't rocket science, so if you can't make it through that without attriting (intentional or otherwise), you clearly don't have the motivation or skills to succeed in BUD/S.

Brett

So, Brett, I am not entirely sure who you are, but I could've sworn I saw your Avatar in human form at Panera yesterday.

My friend read my thread, here, and I will share with you what he told me. He clarified some things.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't really care about the details. I think your questions has been answered.

Brett

WhitingTJ

Don't really care about the details. I think your questions has been answered.

Brett

Ah, well, I figure I'll just throw this up here anyhow.

His giant text: "Btw bro, read the forum. Some good stuff in there. Should let you know that i never took a 'tactical down'. I just sarcastically joked about that with john. I failed b/c I was 7 seconds late out of standards on a low level stage check. Thats if the haters really need to know. And it was only my 2nd failure in 13 months of flight school, the icing on the cake was that my NSS dropped dramastically as a result of the 2 failures. Meaning that i passed my flights but not as well as my classmates so essentially my grade point average steadily got worse. Flight school essentially became an uphill battle as soon as i had a bad flight. And situations ard different from person to person. I had 2 failures while my OCS buddy had 9 failures through all of flight school. He was originally a pilot had 3 academic failures and was given a second chance thru the nfo pipeline....Oh and i was about 3 months from wings not 6 weeks."

WhitingTJ

Standard sob story that we've all heard a thousand times before. Bottom line, he couldn't hack it in flight school and more than likely won't be given a second glance as a viable candidate for BUD/S. Next caller.

Brett

You are ruthless.

I love it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would say he is being blunt and honest...
Indeed. Does your "friend" want an honest assessment of his situation, or someone to blow smoke up his ass to give him false hope. Moreover, why isn't he on here asking the questions? Why are you doing his dirty work for him? I think we're all beginning to get a picture of who we're dealing with.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like the Navy's Core Values personified. Just another non-hacker.

Brett