• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Life

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
....only time you won't feel free is at OCS. Thereafter, you'll have a great time.

Not entirely accurate...

Lots of your freedom and your QOL depends on career timing and luck, more than skill I'd say. Not saying that there aren't a whole host of great times in the military - certainly i've had my share (and done irreversible damage to my liver in the process). But one thing to remember, you aren't always going to like what you do, and that may last for YEARS, but you DO HAVE TO DO IT! There are jobs that suck in the military, no matter how you slice it, you could, even as a pilot/NFO get stuck with one of those jobs.

You're an officer first, pilot/fo second.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not entirely accurate...

Lots of your freedom and your QOL depends on career timing and luck, more than skill I'd say. Not saying that there aren't a whole host of great times in the military - certainly i've had my share (and done irreversible damage to my liver in the process). But one thing to remember, you aren't always going to like what you do, and that may last for YEARS, but you DO HAVE TO DO IT! There are jobs that suck in the military, no matter how you slice it, you could, even as a pilot/NFO get stuck with one of those jobs.

Maybe he needs to define freedom then. I have relatives and neighbors locked into jobs with way less "freedom" and job statisfaction than my worst day in Navy or Marines.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Maybe he needs to define freedom then. I have relatives and neighbors locked into jobs with way less "freedom" and job statisfaction than my worst day in Navy or Marines.

It is one of those grass is always greener. I get paid more than most of my non-military friends. In many respects, I have a lot more responsibility than them as well. Some of them do have more flexible jobs and only two make more than I do. It is a trade off. Right now my job might suck, but at least I know that it will change in 2.5yrs.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
+1
I had a few jobs before joining the Navy where I didn't feel half as free as I feel now. There are civilian jobs that do let you set your own schedule and take 4 weeks of vacation etc, but I never saw them. I had two jobs that I was on call 24 hours a day at times, was called in on my vacation and had 36 hours straight in the office on plenty of occasions; not what I call very free for a civilian. Sure they'll be plenty of days like that in the Navy, but at least the reasons behind those long days are much more important and motivating.

P3 F0

None
Not saying that there aren't a whole host of great times in the military - certainly i've had my share (and done irreversible damage to my liver in the process). But one thing to remember, you aren't always going to like what you do, and that may last for YEARS, but you DO HAVE TO DO IT! There are jobs that suck in the military, no matter how you slice it, you could, even as a pilot/NFO get stuck with one of those jobs.

I'll echo that. There are jobs you'll wind up doing that you won't like, whether it's an entire tour or being 1st LT DivO at your squadron. What makes the time enjoyable is who you're spending it with. The vast majority of your peers will be great guys and you'll love hanging out with them, in good times and bad.

Also, be prepared somewhere in your head to be an officer, whether you're flying or not. One of the more memorable guys I know was an F14 driver who eventually NPQ'd (high G's started making him black out). He transitioned to EP-3's--not, I'm sure, in his planned career path. Was he bitter? Not that I ever saw. He was an outstanding officer and leader. You may wind up getting out of the aviation community (whether of your own choice or not), so if you're not content to be a Naval Officer, then don't join the Navy.

And, keep in mind that depending on when you get out (at 10 years vice retiring), you may take a pay cut. When I retire, the civilian job I can get will not pay as much as I'm making right now. I'm not a pilot, but it's my understanding that if you jump ship and hit the airlines, you're gonna start in the regionals with a huge paycut (there're plenty of guys here who can correct me if I'm wrong on that). Your earning potential once you get out is greater, but it may take a couple years to realize that.

phrogpilot73

How do I ignore a thread?

To be honest, I don't know what's wrong with Helo's.
Nothing.

Basically, all I know is fixed wing.
If you want to stick with what you know - there's no guarantees of fixed wing in the Navy/Marine Corps. I hear the regionals are hiring at the cyclic rate. Have fun.

I own an Exceed RC Falcon 40 helicopter and understand the principle aerodynamics of helo's and they are really amazing.
Yup - still doesn't compare to flying the real thing.

I suppose my biggest issue will be the lack of jobs available as a helo pilot vs fixed wing (when I get out). However, maybe that's because I've only searched for civilian fixed wing jobs. Which brings up a good point. What do helo pilots do for work when they get out? Not like they have an easy time converting their helo time at 75% or whatever the airline will take. Do you guys have to start out at a regional or something?
And we get to the crux of the matter. The tone of your posts indicate that you are trying to find out what YOU get out of it. Look beyond yourself. What do YOU give back to the country? What do YOU give to the young sailors you lead? How can WE benefit from what YOU bring to the table?

The Navy is not a trade school for aviation. The Navy doesn't exist so that you can build the hours you need for an airline job, without monetary cost to you. The Navy exists to defend this country, everything else is secondary. It's an awesome and rewarding responsibility.

If you decide to join, good luck and I hope you get helos. If you decide not to join, I could honestly not give two shits - because better and braver men before and after you will step up and answer the call.

And to answer your question - helo guys can do plenty. Provided they don't assume the only flying jobs are fixed wing airline gigs. I've known guys to fly EMS, Offshore, Law Enforcement, Regionals, Major Carriers, Cargo, and Corporate.

I'm with A4's on this one - respect is earned, and so far - you're in the hole...

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
And we get to the crux of the matter. The tone of your posts indicate that you are trying to find out what YOU get out of it. Look beyond yourself. What do YOU give back to the country? What do YOU give to the young sailors you lead? How can WE benefit from what YOU bring to the table?

The Navy is not a trade school for aviation. The Navy doesn't exist so that you can build the hours you need for an airline job, without monetary cost to you. The Navy exists to defend this country, everything else is secondary. It's an awesome and rewarding responsibility.

If you decide to join, good luck and I hope you get helos. If you decide not to join, I could honestly not give two shits - because better and braver men before and after you will step up and answer the call.

Thanks for the extra motivation!

utak

Topsideside69, as an officer, the enlisted sailors are not there to serve you. You are there to serve them. But judging from your current mentality, you want to join the Navy to serve yourself.

Please take a step back and look at your priorities.

UpSidEdown777

Applicant
Thanks for the perspective guys---no matter how offensive some of these posts seem I'm trying to value them for their honesty. I've gotten what I need from this thread. Hopefully it will serve others well too.

This isn't about flying. It's about the Navy and defending America. Perks aside, aviation is just another specialty---one that I strongly prefer. I truly feel that I would become a great officer. I think that OCS would break me in well and that I would develop over time. I have zero military family background (except for my non-blood related uncle who is a captain). So I'm starting from a completely blank slate which is probably why I've caused some of you to lose respect for me--through my ignorance. Hope to gain it back. Thanks for such an overwhelming response to my thread.

red_ryder

None
Sorry, ok: just remember that it's nothing personal, and everyone here wants to help each other succeed. It's a great start. Obviously we all make mistakes. :D

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Oh, and another thing, you're gonna have to get some thicker skin if you expect to survive in this lifestyle.

They're going to tear you apart if you keep crying about how offensive it is when senior folks with a lot of experience on you try to shake some sense into you.
I don't think that was necessary - he is taking it all in stride. Pretty well for a Hollywood type IMO.

phrogpilot73

Thanks for the perspective guys---no matter how offensive some of these posts seem I'm trying to value them for their honesty. I've gotten what I need from this thread. Hopefully it will serve others well too.

This isn't about flying. It's about the Navy and defending America. Perks aside, aviation is just another specialty---one that I strongly prefer. I truly feel that I would become a great officer. I think that OCS would break me in well and that I would develop over time. I have zero military family background (except for my non-blood related uncle who is a captain). So I'm starting from a completely blank slate which is probably why I've caused some of you to lose respect for me--through my ignorance. Hope to gain it back. Thanks for such an overwhelming response to my thread.
+1. You're no longer in the negative in my book... Like I said, if it's for you - welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. If it's not for you - don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.