• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Life

UpSidEdown777

Applicant
Hi all---

Stats:
GPA: 3.3 (Dean's list last 3 semesters)
Degree: B.S. Sociology with a minor in aviation ops.
Flight exp: CFII with 320 hours TT.
LOR: Congressman, Navy Captain (active-duty), Dean of flight ops.
ASTB: In progress (still studying)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've done all the basic research that can be found pretty much anywhere. However, I lack information that can only come from a personal account of what life is like as a pilot in the Navy. First, a little more about me, I'm an adventurous person. I enjoy maintaining discipline. I eventually want to get married and have kids. Being rich is not important to me at this stage in my life although I'd like to get out of the Navy at 32-33 and start making some real dough either flying for a major airline or starting my own business. I'm currently working in the film industry for a high profile producer as his assistant and would eventually work my way up. However, I'd rather enjoy doing something that only a handful of people can do in their lifetime and not stay in this rat race, corrupt, stinky business. Not to mention I love flying. Flying for the Navy is obviously age sensitive and I can only do this once and I don't want to start at 26 and be close to 40 when I get out or miss it entirely. Anyways, I value discipline and will not have issues with that. My concern though is whether or not I will feel free. I'll be fighting to preserve American Freedom but will I actually feel free? I understand compliance with rules and regs but does life as I know it totally change? Basically, I am asking what it feels like to be a Naval aviation officer. I'm not looking for a bunch of sarcasm. This is a big decision, please be sensitive to that!! THANKS for all those who offer insight. If you're more apt to PM me then do that instead. Thanks again.

Fist Mollusk

Much of it depends on your attitude, and the leaders you are assigned to work under. I am not a psychologist, but it seems you might have some aprehension about this career, and it is best to go into it with an open mind. It is not like the movies at all...some of it is glamorous, some of it is ridiculous, and some of it is tedious. It will balance out though, and this is probably a good forum for answers. Best of Luck!

700+hours, a few overseas deployment and almost a decade in, and it is not too shabby.

MasterBates

I got your sensitivity right here, jackass!

Now on to the subject. You won't get rich working for Uncle, but you won't do too shabby. I made about $75K last year, and I live where cost of living is cheap. Only $56K of it was taxable.

I am as free as most of my buds who are "married to their jobs" in the corporate world. Big difference is I can't quit, but I enjoy what I do so its a non-issue.

You will go to places that suck, where people are trying to kill you. Won't lie there. But I still enjoyed it, although not maybe at the time. Where and how bad the suck is varies greatly, and is for the most part beyond your control at this stage.

Keep in mind there are more rules that we have to abide by, that would not affect you in the CIV world, and the penalties for screwing up, are generally more severe.

In short, don't suck, don't fvck up, and get some thick skin.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Whats wrong with starting at 26?
By the way, if you want to fly for an airline, fly for an airline.

UpSidEdown777

Applicant
I don't want to fly for an airline. I'm just posing viable options for when I get out. I would much rather fly for the Navy.

By the way, how common is it for someone to end up getting helo's when they want fixed wing? I'm NOT asking "what % get jets?"

red_ryder

None
Common. For all intents and purposes, it's totally random what you will get, since the needs of the Navy will change from when you get in to when you finish primary.

Bottom line as I understand it is, you should be able to be happy with anything you get. If it's a major problem for you what you end up with, don't join.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
UpSidEdown777 said:
By the way, how common is it for someone to end up getting helo's when they want fixed wing? I'm NOT asking "what % get jets?"

Pretty common. The Navy is sitting somewhere between 50-60% of airframes being helos, so you do the math. Think of it this way: expect helos. If you don't want them and select something else, good for you, but if you get them, it's no surprise. FWIW, I'm always amused to hear fixed-wing civilian pilots say they'd prefer fixed-wing in the Navy when they've never flown a helo (happened yesterday). Go for what you want, but know that helos are statistically likely (and fun to fly).

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Pretty common. The Navy is sitting somewhere between 50-60% of airframes being helos, so you do the math. Think of it this way: expect helos. If you don't want them and select something else, good for you, but if you get them, it's no surprise. FWIW, I'm always amused to hear fixed-wing civilian pilots say they'd prefer fixed-wing in the Navy when they've never flown a helo (happened yesterday). Go for what you want, but know that helos are statistically likely (and fun to fly).

I had the fixed wing mentality when I was going through my application process. Wasn't until I was doing an interview with a retired Admiral (former CNATRA) who flew Huey Gunships in Vietnam, joined the Navy flew P-3's and then onto test pilot school where he flew everything. He said he loved flying jets but he had the most fun flying helos... That kind of made me think maybe it would be fun to fly. I still want to select tailhook but if I can't helo's are the next on my list.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Everyone goes fixed wing! We make millions of dollars, have tons of babes falling all over us. Feeling free? Sheesh, we hardly work! Every time you see those people on ships and stuff or in the sandbox, it's ALL computer generated. Hell, the day you join you get cool sunglasses, your own black book, and the keys to a multi-million dollar aircraft WITHOUT EVER having to SACRIFICE any of your personal time or interests... DO IT!!!! It's the best snail race, bureaucratic, non-odor producing business on the planet.

PS The kool-aid is best flavor in the whole world!!!, the Navy has a secret recipe.

With that said, I wouldn't trade shoes with a civi for a second (maybe a milli-second though)..

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Hi all---
My concern though is whether or not I will feel free. I'll be fighting to preserve American Freedom but will I actually feel free?

"For those that fight for it freedom will have the flavor the protected will never know."

The only time i feel confined is when i have to wear khakis.

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
Originally Posted by MasterBates
I got your sensitivity right here, jackass!

Now on to the subject. You won't get rich getting divorced. I made about $10 last year and live in a van down by the river.

Little bit of fixing...

Sometimes I feel like Airwarriors was created to announce to the Naval Aviation world that Masterbates is divorced and that he lives in a RV. :confused:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
We can't tell you how you will feel. That's up to you. One of the best things I've ever been told is Naval Aviation is what you make of it. As far as "feeling free", whenever I get to strap into my own jet and go flying- what do you think?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I feel Free. Can you just pick-up and decide to move whenever you want? No... but can you decide to take a weekend here or there and have a good time? Hell yes.

I don't want to fly for an airline. I'm just posing viable options for when I get out. I would much rather fly for the Navy.

If you're a CFII and have a few hundred hours... you will probably be able to get whatever you want... in the current environment. Possibly not jets... but you already have the stick & rudder skills that most people are going to struggle with... and you already have the instrument skills that hurt a lot of guys grades in primary.

But what the hell is wrong with Helo's??? Much more fun to fly!

The only time i feel confined is when i have to wear khakis.

Hahahaha... and DITTO!