• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Life

Cams1215

Originally Posted by phrogpilot73
The tone of your posts indicate that you are trying to find out what YOU get out of it. Look beyond yourself. What do YOU give back to the country? What do YOU give to the young sailors you lead? How can WE benefit from what YOU bring to the table?

Well said Phrog (all the way around)..... seeing that I am fairly new to the site, even though i have been lurking for a while, I cant (and wont) speak of which I do not know... I will however say it has been somewhat amusing seeing Upside dig himself a hole, throw the dirt on top of himself, realize whats going on, and then work toward climbing out of said hole....

AW getting the 9-5ers through the workday once again...

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
It is, but the commitment is 8 years from winging.

//Thread jack

I heard it before as well but....

In my Aviation Officer Candidate (1390) Program Service Agreement it states in section 1.h.2. that upon acceptance of a commission, I shall be required to serve (8) years as an Officer in the United States Navy from the date of appointment to commisioned grade.

This says nothing about "Winging". Thoughts?

//End Thread jack

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
i'm in the position to make speculations about the AW crowd from being on this site religiously and searching and reading as many threads as I possibly can as well as from the countless "tough love" feedbacks I've gotten from many people on this site. And you're absolutely right in that I haven't gone to OCS yet and know nothing about most people on this site and know nothing about the OP besides the things he said in the posts, but dude... you just proved my case... you making comments about my post more or less in a derogative way is a little proof that the general AW crowd is tough (and I like that about this site because they don't fvck around and are straight forward and even like all the sarcasms and such, at the end of the day, they are helping everyone out in that way because we should all be able to take all the criticism and "tough" feedbacks the positive way and be more motivated). Besides, I thought my prior posts were in good taste (i used smiley faces didn't I??? :D) and I did eventually offer my sincere .02. I never put words in anyone's mouth, just regurgitated things that more experienced Naval Officers on this site have said over and over and over and over again that the road to Naval Aviation is extremely demanding and the only way to get there is if we go all out 110%. Anyway, didnt mean no harm so my apologies if I offended anyone else.

As the reigning king of speaking out of turn, let me key you into what Thull was trying to tell you:

The thread title is "Officer Life". You are certainly not an Officer, and whether or not you have a life is debatable.

When the very thread title is something that you have no insight or experience into, just stfu and let those who do answer the question (as silly as the OP might phrase it).

I am, in fact, a Officer (a very junior one at that), and am in the pipeline. However, there are FAR more experienced officers who can speak to the lifestyle of an officer through his training, deployments and shore tours, so I STFU and let them answer it.

Make sense?

/carry on...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
//Thread jack

In my Aviation Officer Candidate (1390) Program Service Agreement it states in section 1.h.2. that upon acceptance of a commission, I shall be required to serve (8) years as an Officer in the United States Navy from the date of appointment to commisioned grade.

//End Thread jack

I've mentioned this in other threads, but here's the recap. EVERYONE has to serve 8 years once commissioned. That might only be 4 years active and then 4 years IRR, but it's just the way it is. However, when you wing, you will receive orders (as well as sign paperwork) that says you now incur an 8 year (7 for me and others at the time) commitment on ACTIVE duty upon winging. That's how they reset your clock. This will happen at other times in your career if you stay around long enough. You could only have 1 year left until your EAOS, but if you take and EXECUTE a new set of orders for 3 years (let's say) then now your EAOS is 3 years.

USNMark

How do I ignore a thread?

Nothing.

If you want to stick with what you know - there's no guarantees of fixed wing in the Navy/Marine Corps. I hear the regionals are hiring at the cyclic rate. Have fun.

Yup - still doesn't compare to flying the real thing.

And we get to the crux of the matter. The tone of your posts indicate that you are trying to find out what YOU get out of it. Look beyond yourself. What do YOU give back to the country? What do YOU give to the young sailors you lead? How can WE benefit from what YOU bring to the table?

The Navy is not a trade school for aviation. The Navy doesn't exist so that you can build the hours you need for an airline job, without monetary cost to you. The Navy exists to defend this country, everything else is secondary. It's an awesome and rewarding responsibility.

If you decide to join, good luck and I hope you get helos. If you decide not to join, I could honestly not give two shits - because better and braver men before and after you will step up and answer the call.

And to answer your question - helo guys can do plenty. Provided they don't assume the only flying jobs are fixed wing airline gigs. I've known guys to fly EMS, Offshore, Law Enforcement, Regionals, Major Carriers, Cargo, and Corporate.

I'm with A4's on this one - respect is earned, and so far - you're in the hole...

AAAAAAMEN! I could neither agree more with this nor could I say it any better myself. Especially since I am not yet an officer, and as such will heed the warning of bogey_spotter by S-ingTFU. I would like to say however, that unless a major perception change occurs with your future Upsidedown777, it will be an uphill battle much like it already has been. In fact, in a similar light to what others have said, viewing this 'information session' with as much apprehension as you've demonstrated tells me that taking things to a whole new level (as in deciding to apply, getting orders to OCS, starting a naval career, etc.) would only worsen a preexisting limiting factor in your personal dedication to this potential career choice. But I'm neither a Naval Officer nor Doctor Phil, so my .02 is pretty much worth JUST THAT, if not less. In fact, I might even OWE forum users for having to read this....

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
The Navy is not a trade school for aviation. The Navy doesn't exist so that you can build the hours you need for an airline job, without monetary cost to you. The Navy exists to defend this country, everything else is secondary. It's an awesome and rewarding responsibility...

Phrog, that was awesome! I need say nothing more.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've mentioned this in other threads, but here's the recap. EVERYONE has to serve 8 years once commissioned. That might only be 4 years active and then 4 years IRR, but it's just the way it is. However, when you wing, you will receive orders (as well as sign paperwork) that says you now incur an 8 year commitment FOR PILOT AND A SIX YEAR COMMITMENT FOR NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER (7 for me and others at the time) on ACTIVE duty upon winging. That's how they reset your clock. This will happen at other times in your career if you stay around long enough. You could only have 1 year left until your EAOS, but if you take and EXECUTE a new set of orders for 3 years (let's say) then now your EAOS is 3 years.

Edited above for correctness.....now it's 100% correct. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
//Thread jack

//End Thread jack

Check out OPNAVINST 1420.1A CH4 PG 4-11.....it says:

Community/Designator....................................Active Duty Obligation
Pilot (131X) (Maritime, Rotary Wing, or
Jet Communities)..........................................8 years upon community designation

NFO (132X)........................................6 years upon community designation

- ea6bflyr ;)

//double end threadjack