• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Interviews

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Back on serious part of the topic, your Recruiter is giving you a bad steer not to have you do an interview, preferably by someone senior, who is in the community you wish to become part of, and hopefully who knows you well. If you can't get the last one, work hard to get the first two.

Who writes your interview, and how well they write, do (unfortunately) matter. Perhaps they will not help, but they can certainly hurt (i.e. the interviewer can't write well - spelling/grammar errors or lacks saying anything of substance). There is plenty of gouge to review prior to the interview.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
My recruiter is setting me up with an interview; what kind of questions can I expect?

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
My recruiter is setting me up with an interview; what kind of questions can I expect?

First question I was asked was "How well do you take practical jokes?"
But as far as questions go, it really depends, I was asked about myself, why naval aviation, what steps have I taken to prepare myself for a military life, and he really stressed how do I deal with difficulties in life.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
First question I was asked was "How well do you take practical jokes?"
But as far as questions go, it really depends, I was asked about myself, why naval aviation, what steps have I taken to prepare myself for a military life, and he really stressed how do I deal with difficulties in life.

Thanks, appreciate it. I assume you wore "interview attire", like a suit, right? How long did it last?

Zazzarito

Cadet
Thanks, appreciate it. I assume you wore "interview attire", like a suit, right? How long did it last?

Yeah, when doing an interview it's always best to dress appropriately. When I did my interview for the NROTC scholarship back over the summer, my Captain suggested wearing my Service Dress Blues seeing I was a JROTC cadet. Obviously you won't have a uniform, but definitely wear something you would to a nice church. Show them that you want it and aren't just some random guy off the side of the street. First impressions can have a big affect.

That's just my small 2 cents.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
I actually wore dress pants and a polo shirt. But the pilot I interviewed with told me not to wear a suit and tie. But yes I'd wear a suit and tie and be clean shaven for the interview unless otherwise specified

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Treat the interview just as seriously as your desire to get selected. If you are just shopping around, not sure yet, then by all means, dress like you do when cruising the mall. If you want the job badly, if you respect the Navy and the time the interviewer is giving you, then dress like it. If the most respect you can muster is a polo shirt and Khakis, fine. It always boiled my blood to have a guy admit to dressing in a coat and tie for an on campus interview with GE or Shell Oil, but come to my interview dressed down considerably. Jobs like the guy can get at GE can be had at dozens, maybe hundreds of companies. But if a guy wants to fly jets off a boat, operate a nuclear power plant or shoot TLAMs in combat, all before he turns 25, the Navy is the only game in town. Why take a chance in under dressing? Does the corporate recruiter rate more respect than a Naval Officer or Senior Chief Petty Officer who has been there and done that?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I'm actually conducting my first interview tomorrow. I'll post some thoughts on what to expect and whatnot following. But based on the background brief the recruiter gave to me, the main thing is, be yourself, be honest. I think it's important that the kid dress up and look the part. i would count that against him if he showed up looking like a bag of ass...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I should clarify what I posted above. I absolutely mean that you should dress to reflect how seriously you want the job. Invest the time and show respect. With that said, since I have a lot of experience interviewing both for OCS and NROTC/USNA, and some scholarship guys might read this thread, I treat them different. I expect that any college kid interviewing for a job has at least a tie and likely a suit. All college career services will advise students to wear a coat and tie to interview. I expect to be treated the same as the recruiter from Chase Bank. I treat high school students interviewing for USNA or NROTC with more latitude. Many HS kids don't have a coat and tie. Sadly, even their father (if they have one) may consider dressing up wearing black jeans and their favorite NASCAR T-shirt, tucked in. In the case of HS students, I simply expect the best they can muster. I usually have an idea what that is based on what I learn about the school, family and their home. Every HS kid should be able to muster a collared shirt and pressed pants with decent shoes. I have seen shorts and flip flops. College applicants are expected to do better due to their maturity, education and experience.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Thanks that'd be awesome. Another question, my recruiter is a Lieutenant Junior Grade. How do I address him with this rank in person?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks that'd be awesome. Another question, my recruiter is a Lieutenant Junior Grade. How do I address him with this rank in person?

You @ Oregon, or just a Duck fan? As for the title, yeah "Lieutenant" or "sir" are probably the easiest ones, at least unless he tells you otherwise. I'd tell you to knock it off with the sir crap, being an aviation JO type, but he of course might feel differently in his capacity, or after coming from a different community background. Those are the book answers, barring any personal preference from the guy.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
You @ Oregon, or just a Duck fan? As for the title, yeah "Lieutenant" or "sir" are probably the easiest ones, at least unless he tells you otherwise. I'd tell you to knock it off with the sir crap, being an aviation JO type, but he of course might feel differently in his capacity, or after coming from a different community background. Those are the book answers, barring any personal preference from the guy.

I was at Oregon for several years then transferred to Univ. North Dakota for Air Traffic Control. I grew up in Eugene and am a huge duck fan. I always try to error to the side of most-respectful as possible (always worked with a girl's father :rolleyes:). Seems funny he's a recruiter at Ltjg, I haven't met him in person yet, but he just got back from his first cruise. Is this common to go into recruiting that early in your career?