• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Candidate Definition

br11183

FY-09 STA-21 SNA Selectee
Got a question for you more seasoned and knowledgable types.... Does anyone know where a Officer Candidate falls in the rank structure? Below enlisted? above enlisted? Having some OC vs MECEP issues and trying to find something somewhere that may help define or shed some light on the subject..... Our unit which has quite a few marines are walking all over the OCs and the the Marine policy is that OCs are rankless. Are they right? If anyone knows any instruction/documentation that sheds any light even a grey light on the subject would be better than what I have now. Thanks!

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
I could be wrong, but when I went thru OCS, if you were a non prior OC, you were the paid as an E-5. If you were prior, you still retained your rank (or the pay at least).

br11183

Sorry, this is more as in STA-21 type Officer Candidate, not OCS. I probably should have clarified.

br11183

We all get paid as whatever rank we were prior to becoming OC's, (E-6, etc) but we no longer retain the rank of E-6, just the pay during the 36 month interim period. I know LT Terral up at NSI always said that "we now outranked a MCPO", etc. But then again half of what he said was in jest. I know this seems like a petty issue and I, myself would probably think so normally but this is ridiculous and it has just recently got this way. It had been just an underlying tone before but something sparked something, somewhere.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Not sure if STA-21/NROTC guys are considered the same as USNA guys (I thought they were) but when we had midshipmen aboard the carrier we were told by our weapons gunner (O-3 type) that even our E-1's outranked them:confused:. It sounds like that would be in line with how the Marines at your unit are treating people. I never saw any black and white on the subject though, just a briefing from our Officer.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I'd tell the MECEP's to STFU! We're all in the same boat together (degree, commissioning, serving, school, etc, etc). I'm sure there are probably more OC's than MECEPs anyway. Maybe, the OCs are lacking in the Leadership area, and the MECEPs are stepping up to take up the slack. If I were you, I'd step up to the plate and let my actions speak louder than any words or silly instruction.

Good luck.

OC H.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
How about this: next time a Marine tries to pull "rank" on an OC, the OC tells the Marine to f**k off. If/when the Marine gets all in a huff about "insubordination," the OC asks the Marine to cite the specific instruction or policy that specifies where OC falls in the rank structure. If the Marine can provide a legitimate citation that supports his position, then you have your answer. If not, carry on.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, OCs and Midshipmen are technically warrant officers. No, not Warrant Officers, but in the sense that they hold their position by a Navy warrant, not a Presidential commission. It's more or less a distinction without a difference, but as far as where they fall in the rank structure, it's between an E-9 and O-1, alongside the "real" Warrants.

That's the technical answer. The real answer is, if you've got a bunch of fucking OC's arguing about who ranks who, then you've got a bunch of arrogant shitheads who need an attitude adjustment. It's stupid enough when it's Ensigns and 2LTs doing it, but OC's? Gimme a fucking break.

OnTop has it right. Tell them to fuck off.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
MECEPS are the same level OCs are. I tell our guys here that even though I don't wear it, they better plan on treating me the same as they do their SSGTs. We've got some pretty junior MECEPs here though with a couple of exceptions. OnTop does have it right though, and I think most of the time where I am anyways, you get treated with about the minimum amount of respect that people understand you will tolerate. The irony is the more senior MECEPs don't have the same swolen head syndrome that some of our junior ones do.

My best advice is to define how you expect to be treated based on your experience to date, and you might have some luck getting the climate to change a bit.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
What does your ID say? If it says PO1/E6, act like it. Especially if some little sh*t Corporal is trying to walk all over you. I know I was never told to change my ID to OC/E6, and my eval reflects that I am still a First Class Petty Officer until I either screw up big time or get commissioned. As was said before, we're all in this sh*t together and at the end of it all, everyone's going for a commission and starting at the bottom all over again, so to speak. I can't even believe this is an issue at your unit. I've been around some cocky Marines, but this is ridiculous.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got a question for you more seasoned and knowledgable types.... Does anyone know where a Officer Candidate falls in the rank structure? Below enlisted? above enlisted? Having some OC vs MECEP issues and trying to find something somewhere that may help define or shed some light on the subject..... Our unit which has quite a few marines are walking all over the OCs and the the Marine policy is that OCs are rankless. Are they right? If anyone knows any instruction/documentation that sheds any light even a grey light on the subject would be better than what I have now. Thanks!
To be honest, they may be right. OC's may be in fact be rankless. However, the Midshipmen are not. Technically, each and every one of the midshipmen outrank anyone between E-1 and E-9 and possibly the Warrants (though I'm not positive). With that said, if the OC's really are rankless, then the MECEP'ers have no jurisdiction over you guys other than positional where applicable. The bottom line is that MECEP'ers aren't DI's running OCS, so like others have already said, simply tell them to STFU and carry out the plan of the day!

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
My ID card and DD-214 for AOCS said AOC/E-5. Which explains why the lowest ranking drill instructors were SSgts (E-6).