• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS AMA (Doc's, Nurses, JAGs, AMDOs, DCO's and others you'll be coming here!)

TheClyde

ODS Gouge most important things to remember? Just curious. I've focused more on the General orders than other gouge. Also, is the track suit authorized. I purchased both jogger and track but have been getting conflicting information on what can be worn.
Track suit is primary for our class...I think the issue is that there was not enough stock for some previous classes. If its not available to everyone when they do PT purchase on day 1, they'll probably go with the sweats instead. General orders, sailor's creed, chain of command, discipline are maybe the first things to focus on memorizing.

Reactions: RJS

number9

Contributor
ODS Gouge most important things to remember? Just curious. I've focused more on the General orders than other gouge. Also, is the track suit authorized. I purchased both jogger and track but have been getting conflicting information on what can be worn.
In no particular order: definition of discipline, mission of the Navy, sailor's creed, oath of office, Anchors Away, Marines' Hymn, general orders of the sentry, articles of the code of conduct. I would make sure you know the first three as quickly as possible, but the rest of them don't really come into play until the khaki inspection (week 4 or 5).

I was in the January class. We wore the sweatshirt/sweatpants PTU uniform, not the track suit.

number9

Contributor
To add: if/when you go to the sandpit, there's a good chance you'll be told to sound off the definition of discipline and/or mission of the Navy as a class or company. They're easy to remember on their own, but harder to remember when you're getting beat..

• Haha

RJS

To add: if/when you go to the sandpit, there's a good chance you'll be told to sound off the definition of discipline and/or mission of the Navy as a class or company. They're easy to remember on their own, but harder to remember when you're getting beat..
i just shot you a message. Yes…I know those quite well just in case.?

TheClyde

One other thing... Bring at least two pairs of running shoes. You will have shoes on your feet 95% of the time you're not in bed sleeping, it will help to rotate shoes and plus rain is not unusual here so having your only pair of shoes be wet kind of sucks.

AU_Aviation

One other thing... Bring at least two pairs of running shoes. You will have shoes on your feet 95% of the time you're not in bed sleeping, it will help to rotate shoes and plus rain is not unusual here so having your only pair of shoes be wet kind of sucks.
I'll echo this. The first 7 days is nothing but wearing sneakers and PTU's all day long. It would be nice to have a backup pair if needed.

Squirrel Girl

I got my first LES that covers part of ODS and it has a line item for BAH. I have no dependents. It appears to prorated amount for full BAH (as opposed to BAH special). I'm assuming I shouldn't have gotten this and the Navy will come take it back at some point?
I'm replying because I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

From my assumption, I would say that BAH (single rate) would show up for pay purposes. NROWS shows allocations as to the allowances you were approved for. Ultimately, it should be deducted from your net pay because you are staying at King Hall. Waiting to see what someone else says about this.
If you are a reservist, you will get BAH for your home(ODS is like a TDY, you'll fill out DTS on return and get perdiem). If you are going active duty and do not have dependents, you will not get full BAH (as housing is provided).

TheClyde

If you are a reservist, you will get BAH for your home(ODS is like a TDY, you'll fill out DTS on return and get perdiem). If you are going active duty and do not have dependents, you will not get full BAH (as housing is provided).
Thanks...something I had read previously said we only get Partial BAH because of the government quarters. But that must have been AD specific.

njac35

Any word on how the waitlist works for ODS? There is like 15 reserve quotas and they are all taken. There appears to still be over a hundred active quotas, could any of those if unused be converted to reserve?

RJS

Any word on how the waitlist works for ODS? There is like 15 reserve quotas and they are all taken. There appears to still be over a hundred active quotas, could any of those if unused be converted to reserve?
The summer classes are the hardest to fill so you'll just have to choose another class to go. From my understanding, quotas aren't converted since boards meet throughout the year and quotas are filled close to the expected number.

Last edited:

njac35

The summer classes are the hardest to fill so you'll just have to choose another class to go. From my understanding, quotas aren't converted since boards meet throughout the year and quotas filled close to the expected number.
Yeah, my NRC put me in for a few of them and I was waitlisted. Just wondering since all reserve quotas seem to be taken for awhile... Basically it would seem like most of the selectees from the Sep board will only be able to attend the next winter and the March board next summer.

RJS

Yeah, my NRC put me in for a few of them and I was waitlisted. Just wondering since all reserve quotas seem to be taken for awhile... Basically it would seem like most of the selectees from the Sep board will only be able to attend the next winter and the March board next summer.
Yes. They fill up quickly if you don't keep track of quotas via CANTRAC. I commissioned in September and got started almost immediately on getting a seat. I'm slated to attend 23040 next month. Currently there are 40 empty seats but only 2 weeks left until it starts. I mean... you can try and get a seat there but...it's a bit of a stretch from here.

npthaiduong

Yes. They fill up quickly if you don't keep track of quotas via CANTRAC. I commissioned in September and got started almost immediately on getting a seat. I'm slated to attend 23040 next month. Currently there are 40 empty seats but only 2 weeks left until it starts. I mean... you can try and get a seat there but...it's a bit of a stretch from here.
How long did it take from selection to commission for you? Congratulations on your ODS seat, please keep us posted.

njac35

Yes. They fill up quickly if you don't keep track of quotas via CANTRAC. I commissioned in September and got started almost immediately on getting a seat. I'm slated to attend 23040 next month. Currently there are 40 empty seats but only 2 weeks left until it starts. I mean... you can try and get a seat there but...it's a bit of a stretch from here

I was selected in Sep and commissioned Feb 9th. Immediately pinged the NRC DCO sponsor as I was told they should be coordinating my classes and not my unit. We submitted for the seats awhile back and they were disapproved and then resubmitted and I was put on a waitlist.

RJS

How long did it take from selection to commission for you? Congratulations on your ODS seat, please keep us posted.
There are a few milestones for you to complete before getting a seat. You can find the new DCO Handbook issued out via the ALLHANDS message from this AM (Navy Reserve Sailor Onboarding Webpage). It provides a go-by for those who are newly commissioned.

In regards to the time line:

Board Date - 6/16
Selected - 6/28
Selection Letter - 8/31
Date of Rank - 8/31
Oath/Commission Date - 9/15
NRC INDOC - 11/21
1st Drill - 1/19
ODS - 4/2

It's different for everyone but, you have to stay on top of things outside of your drills. I'm a stickler for trying to get things 2-3 weeks before so I'm in constant contact with the NRC for things.

Last edited: