• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS AMA (Doc's, Nurses, JAGs, AMDOs, DCO's and others you'll be coming here!)

TheClyde

One thing I've never understood well is how the good and/or satisfactory year stuff works in regards to annual training that conflicts with drill weekends.

I missed one DWE because I was at ODS. I'm pretty sure my unit just marked me down as AA, but do I get some kind of dispensation (e.g. I actually get credit, but not pay) because I was doing ADT at the time?
As Rudy said, the expectation would be that you reschedule the conflicting IDTs to another date that doesn't conflict, and then you get credit for both. That being said, just having them down as AA's is no big deal. I believe AA's actually count towards a satisfactory year (that chart you included refers to 40 IDTs, but my recollection is 40 positively adjudicated IDTs, and AA's count as positive, though a separate rule I think says you can't have more than 24 AA's).

For a good year for retirement, again, missing one weekend doesn't stop you from reaching 50 points. Obviously the more points you have, the better your retirement $$ is, but one weekend is miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

number9

Contributor
You can’t get double credit for the same day. You technically got credit for those days while on ADT. IDT and AT/ADT are very different. You should have rescheduled those DWE’s that you would have missed to a later date. If you missed one DWE you do not have to worry about not having a good year so don’t worry about that.

You also have the option to put in for non paid drills as needed to get more points just work with your NRC and your chain of command.
I wasn't told (though maybe I should have asked) that I needed to reschedule the DWEs; I simply told my CoC "I will miss this DWE because I'll be at ODS" and they said "Ok". My unit does not telework, so I can only reschedule DWEs to actual weekdays - which means taking PTO from my job in order to make up drills.

I have put in for a couple of unpaid points already for separate stuff, but I appreciate the suggestion!

I've put together an Excel sheet starting from the DWE of 10/1/22 and ending 9/3/23. With my current plan, I'll end up with 38 points because I missed one day (so 2 periods) in April and I'll need to miss one weekend (so 4 periods) in August.

As Rudy said, the expectation would be that you reschedule the conflicting IDTs to another date that doesn't conflict, and then you get credit for both. That being said, just having them down as AA's is no big deal. I believe AA's actually count towards a satisfactory year (that chart you included refers to 40 IDTs, but my recollection is 40 positively adjudicated IDTs, and AA's count as positive, though a separate rule I think says you can't have more than 24 AA's).

For a good year for retirement, again, missing one weekend doesn't stop you from reaching 50 points. Obviously the more points you have, the better your retirement $$ is, but one weekend is miniscule in the grand scheme of things.
See what I wrote above and let me know what you think. But, yes, retirement isn't really going to move the needle for me.

TheClyde

I wasn't told (though maybe I should have asked) that I needed to reschedule the DWEs; I simply told my CoC "I will miss this DWE because I'll be at ODS" and they said "Ok". My unit does not telework, so I can only reschedule DWEs to actual weekdays - which means taking PTO from my job in order to make up drills.

I have put in for a couple of unpaid points already for separate stuff, but I appreciate the suggestion!

I've put together an Excel sheet starting from the DWE of 10/1/22 and ending 9/3/23. With my current plan, I'll end up with 38 points because I missed one day (so 2 periods) in April and I'll need to miss one weekend (so 4 periods) in August.

See what I wrote above and let me know what you think. But, yes, retirement isn't really going to move the needle for me.
Just to clarify, are you concerned about not having a satisfactory participation year, or a good year for retirement?

number9

Contributor
Just to clarify, are you concerned about not having a satisfactory participation year, or a good year for retirement?
Both, I guess, but I'm more concerned about a sat year for participation. I appreciate your patience!

TheClyde

Both, I guess, but I'm more concerned about a sat year for participation. I appreciate your patience!
No worries. Use this reference attached. You need 40 of 48 drill periods favorably adjudicated. An AA is a favorable adjudication.

As far as retirement, you need 50 points for a good year, and you get 15 for being in the reserves, and you're on a 34 day AD so yeah, even with 0 drill periods you're basically at a good year.

Interesting about the telework. So does your unit expect you to come in to the NRC to fill out your DTS voucher for example?

Attachments

• 1001-010 Satisfactory Participation in the Navy Reserve.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 20

number9

Contributor
No worries. Use this reference attached. You need 40 of 48 drill periods favorably adjudicated. An AA is a favorable adjudication.

As far as retirement, you need 50 points for a good year, and you get 15 for being in the reserves, and you're on a 34 day AD so yeah, even with 0 drill periods you're basically at a good year.

Interesting about the telework. So does your unit expect you to come in to the NRC to fill out your DTS voucher for example?
Thank you! This was very helpful. Do you mind if I DM you about something? I don't want to ask it here as it's PII-adjacent.

RJS

To add: if/when you go to the sandpit, there's a good chance you'll be told to sound off the definition of discipline and/or mission of the Navy as a class or company. They're easy to remember on their own, but harder to remember when you're getting beat..
This was definitely true??

Jp222

I'll be heading to ODS in October. I can't seem to find it but can anyone rehash the gouge on graduation? Number of family members allowed, where did they stay (Navy Lodge or in town $$$) and when did they get reservations, pre graduation social, etc. Just trying to plan ahead for family to attend. Thanks!

CMR1984

I'll be heading to ODS in October. I can't seem to find it but can anyone rehash the gouge on graduation? Number of family members allowed, where did they stay (Navy Lodge or in town $$$) and when did they get reservations, pre graduation social, etc. Just trying to plan ahead for family to attend. Thanks!
I am here now. They have you submit visitors first week or two. It was initial 4 for our class but they updated to unlimited. We have a big class (178 students). Most people’s family are staying off base. Our social is only for the class, no visitors (you can have a social and bring family. We were suppose to vote on this, but I don’t remember that ever happening). It’s from 1500-1800, then we get Liberty immediately after. Feel free to message me.

Hi,

I’m active duty attending ODS in October. I understand that I will be going to Navy Med 101 for one week after that in Bethesda. Once that’s done, if my first duty station is overseas, do I get flown straight there or do I have a few days to go home in between? I’m not prior service so I don’t know much of anything yet. Any help would be great!

RJS

Hi,

I’m active duty attending ODS in October. I understand that I will be going to Navy Med 101 for one week after that in Bethesda. Once that’s done, if my first duty station is overseas, do I get flown straight there or do I have a few days to go home in between? I’m not prior service so I don’t know much of anything yet. Any help would be great!
I would say it depends on what your orders say. If your report date allows time to go home then make a judgement call and go. But…me mindful of travel days to reporting.